Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few pics I took at IAA this Tue/Wed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Now I wish I went to the show. I will have to try for the next one. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 AM
gupalo1974
AutoX

Is that Platinum Silver or GT Silver???
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Default My impressions...

I was able to visit IAA last week and spent about an hour in the Porsche booth. Ended up getting the "full treatment" with a nice young lady there to answer all my questions

Got a chance to sit in both the S and standard models, and both the Sport and Sport Plus seats. Here are some impressions in no particular order:

Definitely more "GT like". The center stack is not nearly as busy as the Panamera, but still less of the minimalist sports feeling for sure. The gauges seem smaller and less emphasized than you get with the 997.

Lots of headroom in the non-sunroof version - perhaps more also than the 997 even with the sunroof. They did confirm that US models would have sunroof as an option.

The cars there were all full leather. Stitching along the dash top line has moved back from the front edge which personally I don't much like.

From the outside it is clearly recognizable as a 911 - in that sense they have succeeded in carrying the line, but...

There was also a GTS in the booth and after spending quite a bit of time with the 991 I was struck by how small and compact the GTS appeared to me. Much more muscular and "tight" styling on the GTS. I could not help but think of the 993 vs. 996 (though I rate the 991 much higher than the 996 in styling). You don't realize how much they have changed until you see one right after the other.

From a performance perspective there seems no reason not to want one. The styling on the other hand (inside and out) may mark the 997 as another milestone "last of" for many people, though I am sure overall the 991 will find more of a market than any 911 yet. Good thing for Porsche, but this step may be one too far for me.

Mike
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice report guys.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Genuine question.... why do some people call it "IAA" and not simply the Frankfurt Motorshow ?
Was there another car show going on in Frankfurt ?

Does "IAA" make YOU sound cool and me an old dork telling my pals pals I went to Frankfurt MS ?

This is not just aimed at "cool" (?) posters on this thread since a couple of other industry type people I met (prearranged) at the show kept "IAA"ing it ??
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
I was able to visit IAA last week and spent about an hour in the Porsche booth. Ended up getting the "full treatment" with a nice young lady there to answer all my questions

Got a chance to sit in both the S and standard models, and both the Sport and Sport Plus seats. Here are some impressions in no particular order:

Definitely more "GT like". The center stack is not nearly as busy as the Panamera, but still less of the minimalist sports feeling for sure. The gauges seem smaller and less emphasized than you get with the 997.

Lots of headroom in the non-sunroof version - perhaps more also than the 997 even with the sunroof. They did confirm that US models would have sunroof as an option.

The cars there were all full leather. Stitching along the dash top line has moved back from the front edge which personally I don't much like.

From the outside it is clearly recognizable as a 911 - in that sense they have succeeded in carrying the line, but...

There was also a GTS in the booth and after spending quite a bit of time with the 991 I was struck by how small and compact the GTS appeared to me. Much more muscular and "tight" styling on the GTS. I could not help but think of the 993 vs. 996 (though I rate the 991 much higher than the 996 in styling). You don't realize how much they have changed until you see one right after the other.

From a performance perspective there seems no reason not to want one. The styling on the other hand (inside and out) may mark the 997 as another milestone "last of" for many people, though I am sure overall the 991 will find more of a market than any 911 yet. Good thing for Porsche, but this step may be one too far for me.

Mike
GREAT report and insight, and although I haven't seen the car in person, I totally have to agree with your impressions from all the pics I've seen.

997 is the new 993!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks a million for posting your comments & pics: best pics I've seen thus far.
I think Porsche has done a good, albeit controversial, job with the 991 & your pics show great details.
Can't wait to see this in the flesh & take it for a drive.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I *HATE* how the the Dash appears to be deeper.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice point of view from an enthusiast. I think it confirms all suspicions seen so far from the pics.

Long live the 993...er, the 997!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It looks like the front trunk has gotten a lot smaller. That's what you get when you move the front suspension outward toward the nose.

Quick Reply: A few pics I took at IAA this Tue/Wed...