GTS or 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Nice photos! Makes a beautiful car look even better. Care to comment on your photo equipment? dave
But he needs to clean his sensor!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

GTS is a great car, but at the end of the day how do you feel about the immediate depreciation of ALL 997's when the 991 comes out?

personally if i had the choice of:

A: throwing 20k in the trash
B: waiting 6 months

i would wait 6 months.

yes there will be depreciation off the lot on 991, but the GTS has that as well... the GTS also has the cannibalization depreciation from the 991 however.

just keep in mind WHY porsche decided to develop the: GTS/GT2RS/GT3 RS 4.0/Cayman R/Black Edition's and so forth..... they are drawing to a close on the 997 chassis and need to get rid of all the overhead and also double down on their investment which was the 997...

BMW put LED tails on their latest ///M3, but with the new 3 series around the corner do you think that's a safe bet as well? some say the 991 will be the 996 of 911's but it's going to be a great car...

997 is still a great car but it's just a matter of dollars and sense.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Jok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the launch/availability of the 991 draws closer your point becomes more valid.

However, I've enjoyed my GTS for over six months now!! Also buying a 991.1 will have it's teething problems which, on the other hand, have already been well resolved within the 997 range..
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice. I wouldnt get the new first generation 991. Have a feeling it will be in the shop the first year. Also, my dealer isnt expecting to see the new 991 in mass population until mid next year. So good choice.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

M9, 35mm f2 Summicron

no, the sensor is quite clean, the file had to be taken down from almost 20M to 114K!

Very "blue day" light-wise. Was going to get downtown early but stayed in bed instead. By the time i got there (Noon), the place was mobbed and I had to wait between shots quite a bit, and simply could not get some angles. People just walk in front of you. A couple of groups thought it was a display and just walked up and had their friends take a pic with them against the car. I tried to be good-natured but drew a line when some Asians actually opened the door and sat down so their friends couple snap them!

I'lll go back at sunrise soon. The Sun comes up almost directly behind me at those angles and it should be more dramatic... and less "blue.

I know, could have "Shopped it" but didn't have time, did it yesterday and this thread came up.

Shoot was brief anyway, a cop groused me for being up on the sidewalk... as I said, I 'll go back at sunrise...
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rijowysock
GTS is a great car, but at the end of the day how do you feel about the immediate depreciation of ALL 997's when the 991 comes out?

i would wait 6 months.

yes there will be depreciation off the lot on 991, but the GTS has that as well... the GTS also has the cannibalization depreciation from the 991 however.

just keep in mind WHY porsche decided to develop the: GTS/GT2RS/GT3 RS 4.0/Cayman R/Black Edition's and so forth..... they are drawing to a close on the 997 chassis and need to get rid of all the overhead and also double down on their investment which was the 997...

BMW put LED tails on their latest ///M3, but with the new 3 series around the corner do you think that's a safe bet as well? some say the 991 will be the 996 of 911's but it's going to be a great car...

991's will depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot too. Big deal. Life is more than $$$. Further, the 991 will make a 997 no less a car. I'm sure certain things about the 991 will be great, but bigger is not better unless the back seat is bigger, which it is not.

Time will tell...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

This reminds me of:

993 C2S or 996...how did that turn out?

Latest isn't always greatest. With that said I'd make what seems to be the most logical decision. Wait and drive them both, hell see them in person without camouflage (991) and then decide. Time frame also plays a role, when is the 991 going to be realistically available?

Also what type of buyer are you? Keeping it until they bring back air-cooled engines or meh, it's two years old, I'm bored and want something different? Another factor is, what are your finances like? This is just play money and can afford losing money but getting a new ride yearly or I've been saving Ebeneezer-style and putting all in on this one purchase?

Plenty of people did that with their 993s and decided to keep theirs.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I had the same dilemma, and opted for a 2012 white GTS. Tough decision, but I didn't want a first year model, and I knew the GTS was a great car, so I went with it.
+100
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

i would wait 6 months.

mostly true, however if you can get a used GTS or a discount on a new one the analysis changes. But at the end of the day its all a mute point, as these are all mass produced cars and time on Earth to enjoy such things is diminishing.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You are correct,time is diminishing! This is why I want to get it right this time around. I could just get the GTS and be done with it but the new 991 looks very promising. I know I will get flamed for saying this but I for one do want a more "comfortable'' sports car. Porsche looks like it is combining speed, handling,comfort and a little luxury with the 991. I am sure they will continue the GT2 &GT3 series for the harder core enthusiasts.
Normally would never buy 1st model year but a Porsche first year I am hoping will be ok.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Brutal decision... but I resolved it!
What? No more Spyder?!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

993 C2S or 996...how did that turn out?
OTOH, 964 or 993; 996 or 997......how did that turn out? Besides, past performance is no guarantee of future results!

Look, I don't think there is a wrong choice here, so this is just my opinion. I love my 997.2 S and will be keeping it a good long while. But if I was buying a new 911 within the next 6 months, that I was planning to keep and not dispose of in a couple of years, it would be the newest model, not the one at the end of an 8 year life cycle. The concerns about the 911-ness and reliability of the 991 are hugely overblown. Almost all of the major mechanicals, the DFI engine, PDK transmission, etc. are proven carryovers from the previous car. What's the concern, that the new body panels are going to fall off, the 4" longer wheelbase and minor suspension tweaks are going to cause suspension failure, or the new interior pieces are going to detach and fly around the cabin?

The 991 is going to handle better, be as fast or faster, be more efficient and do all the things we expect from a 911. Maybe in an incrementally more refined way, but that's been the way with the evolution of 911's since the very first model. The GTS is almost 50 years removed from and light years more sophisticated and refined than a late '60s 911S, yet we are holding it up as an icon, the last of the true 911's. Baloney. The 991 will not be less of a 911 than it's predecessors who replaced the model before them. Porsche has too much invested in this car to screw it up.

Again, just my opinion. Buying a sportscar is an emotional decision and I understand why someone might favor one car over another, whatever the reason. I'm just saying if it were me, I'd put my money down on the newest Porsche, and I doubt very much I'd be disappointed.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...if I was buying a new 911 within the next 6 months, that I was planning to keep and not dispose of in a couple of years, it would be the newest model, not the one at the end of an 8 year life cycle. The concerns about the 911-ness and reliability of the 991 are hugely overblown. Almost all of the major mechanicals, the DFI engine, PDK transmission, etc. are proven carryovers from the previous car. What's the concern...
I agree that, at this point, it is worth waiting to see what the 991 is all about; while the 'there is always something newer coming, why wait' crowd has a point, we are only 8 weeks away from the 991's official public intro (and I'm sure we will know a lot more a lot sooner than that).

There is plenty to be concerned about regarding reliability of early production cars. With the relatively proven drivetrain, there should not be any serious mechanical defects (that said, my early 997 had a "carryover" Tiptronic that suffered catastrophic failure, followed by a recall). However, even minor glitches covered by warranty can be very annoying and make for an unpleasant ownership experience.

I would wait a couple months and see what the 991 is all about, then make a decision to pick up a 997 (there will still be plenty), or wait a year and get a 991.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

GTS............buy something you can drive now.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
OTOH, 964 or 993; 996 or 997......how did that turn out? Besides, past performance is no guarantee of future results!

Look, I don't think there is a wrong choice here, so this is just my opinion. I love my 997.2 S and will be keeping it a good long while. But if I was buying a new 911 within the next 6 months, that I was planning to keep and not dispose of in a couple of years, it would be the newest model, not the one at the end of an 8 year life cycle. The concerns about the 911-ness and reliability of the 991 are hugely overblown. Almost all of the major mechanicals, the DFI engine, PDK transmission, etc. are proven carryovers from the previous car. What's the concern, that the new body panels are going to fall off, the 4" longer wheelbase and minor suspension tweaks are going to cause suspension failure, or the new interior pieces are going to detach and fly around the cabin?

The 991 is going to handle better, be as fast or faster, be more efficient and do all the things we expect from a 911. Maybe in an incrementally more refined way, but that's been the way with the evolution of 911's since the very first model. .
Thats a funny post. I wouldnt worry about the relaibility of the 991 either. That wouldnt factor into my decision. Everyone told me not to buy the 997.2S in its first year. Why? I have a warranty and Porsche does not release a crappy product.

I'm probably keeping my C2S for a while. I cant "justify" my car plus $50K for a new 991 or GTS. For a very marginal increase in performance. 0.1 dsecond to 60. I love my C2S.

Quick Reply: GTS or 991