Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991 Interior Shot (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/594919-991-interior-shot.html)

amaist 10-08-2010 04:22 PM

I am not sure touch screens in cars make much sense.

1. It has to be reliable. I have enough trouble with failing iPhones and similar devices not to trust this in a high vibration, high temperature variation environment. Will it work at -20 C ?
2. Fingerprints. I like my screens without finger grease on them. This makes me a slave of the car needing to clean one more thing. And you have to clean it right or you can break it.

I'll take buttons. They work. I don't need a stupid menu/wizard to set the temperature inside. I have enough of that crap on the computer.

996FLT6 10-08-2010 04:31 PM

I'm not a fan of touch screens myself. If there is any glare I can't see what I'm touching. Mike

deputydog95 10-08-2010 05:55 PM

Ewwwww.

911SLOW 10-08-2010 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 996FLT6 (Post 7959557)
I'm not a fan of touch screens myself. If there is any glare I can't see what I'm touching. Mike

+1

NO touch screen please.
Put the 200 buttons for regular versions.

For GT3 I want switches, simple on-off switches preferably ones that click when engaged military style with simple two three cables each. Servicable even after 10 years as DIY.
It’s not like that they can't make a road version of the excellent cup/rsr console.

John

PS I wouldn’t think it was actually possible for people to say how much they miss the 996 GT3 interior so soon. Porsche made it happen. :thumbup:
Excellent!

Tacet-Conundrum 10-08-2010 06:37 PM

Touch Screens in the grand touring Turbo versions, and strip out everything for the GT3 track cars. It has to be appropriate for the situation.

ir_fuel 10-08-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by amaist (Post 7959528)
I am not sure touch screens in cars make much sense.

1. It has to be reliable. I have enough trouble with failing iPhones and similar devices not to trust this in a high vibration, high temperature variation environment. Will it work at -20 C ?

errrr...

what's that PCM 3.0 stuff we can get in our latest and greatest Porsches? (including GT2/3/RS). That's one big touchscreen and it works perfectly.

The only annoyance I would have with a touchscreen for the "regular" stuff is that it is very hard to operate blindly. A button you can feel, on a touchscreen you have to look to see where to put your finger. I can change the PASM/airco/heater/... without taking my eyes of the road, with a touchscreen this is impossible.

ir_fuel 10-08-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum (Post 7959842)
Touch Screens in the grand touring Turbo versions, and strip out everything for the GT3 track cars. It has to be appropriate for the situation.

But please do not forget to spec a leather dash when you order one! :burnout:

aussie jimmy 10-08-2010 10:00 PM

i vote for toggle switches too. real metal ones that are stubborn and 'clunk' like the ones on jadis electronics. like john said, make the console like a cup car. also want air jacks, and motec as standard.

996FLT6 10-08-2010 10:10 PM

A nice LSD and cup cable/shifter be great too : ). Mike

MJSpeed 10-09-2010 02:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First of all I think this interior has no place in a sports-car. They should, at least for the GT3/RS take a couple of pointers from Ferrari's 360 CS or F430 Scuderia.

Also, if it has PDK why do we need the huge shift lever in the middle. Why not just put a simple button for auto, again like in the Ferrari's.

The irony is that now that they've decided to bring the center console up closer to the steering wheel (in the case of the shift lever, like in the Carrera GT) which is better for the track, they're going the PDK route.

+1 on the GT3/RS center console looking like that on the CUP/RSR's. And the only button on the steering wheel should be for flashing your lights so that the slow a$$ in front of you gets the fcuk out of your way!