Sponsored by:

Overrun Pops and Gurgles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Overrun Pops and Gurgles

I'm not really not fan of the pops and gurgles/overrun when running in S and S+. Can they only be diminished/eliminated by a custom tune? Or will a custom tune even eliminate them? I know some like them, but they're not for me. My car is a 991.1 GTS.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:54 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

They can be taken out with a Cobb pro tune, not sure about the other.

The oem state should only have them set for S .. S+ specifically does not include them. They are listed as “Backfire” in the mode table excerpt below:

Set an individual mode with Sport+ and other options of your choice. I run individual Sport + with normal chassis and no wing. So basically Sport Mode without backfire. I am always in manual shift mode .. this might not be so good in auto due to shift rpm.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; Yesterday at 12:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting chart. It appears to be for 991.2 or maybe 992, it is not 991.1 -- OP has a 991.1 GTS.

991.1 absolutely has the backfire active in Sport+, unlike what's on this chart.

PS, I agree with the original poster here, I wish these pops/bangs/"backfires" were not turned on in any mode... it is just a bit too high profile for my liking when echoing off buildings etc. I drive always in S+ and it gets embarrassing when I decelerate, sometimes I pull the paddles to pop it into neutral and avoid high RPM deceleration.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

991.2 from owner’s manual. Did not realize that was one of the differences between the .1 and .2. I would be less then thrilled if I had the Rice Krispies in both sport and sport +

While I am on the topic. I hate that Porsche discontinued the “Good to Know” app. That had digital version of the owners manual. Porsche also removed the digital versions from their US website. Why?

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; Yesterday at 02:16 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Interesting chart. It appears to be for 991.2 or maybe 992, it is not 991.1 -- OP has a 991.1 GTS.

991.1 absolutely has the backfire active in Sport+, unlike what's on this chart.

PS, I agree with the original poster here, I wish these pops/bangs/"backfires" were not turned on in any mode... it is just a bit too high profile for my liking when echoing off buildings etc. I drive always in S+ and it gets embarrassing when I decelerate, sometimes I pull the paddles to pop it into neutral and avoid high RPM deceleration.
My 991.1 only popped in Sport not Sport+. Confirmed by the owners manual too.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Nashvegas

My car is manual. I try to use the throttle to mitigate it somewhat, when decelerating. If I lift up and allow the engine to break, it's like the 4th of July. I have an aftermarket exhaust which exacerbates it too.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Rumble-Bee
They can be taken out with a Cobb pro tune, not sure about the other.
I'm going to look into the Cobb tune as well as a tune from Softonics which I believe does custom tunes.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
ERinEC
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I'm going to look into the Cobb tune as well as a tune from Softonics which I believe does custom tunes.
Softonic can minimize it but not silence completely.
The following users liked this post:
Live Steam (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
My 991.1 only popped in Sport not Sport+. Confirmed by the owners manual too.
What year? My ‘14 most definitely does the pops/burbles in Sport+.
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I think those can be turned off. My Canadian Cayenne Coupe S 2020 DOES NOT backfire. DONT EVEN! I know how to backfire a car, having grown up on a manual.
So must be some software setting somewhere. Took it to the dealer to complain about the no backfire. They keep it for a day, says it is operating as designed. Valves are opening as normal. They have other Coupe S in the yard that behave the same way.
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 113 Posts

Very interesting. Mine is a 2013 991.1 S, not tuned. PSE. PDK. It pops and burbles like crazy in Sport plus on high RPM deceleration.

Quick Reply: Overrun Pops and Gurgles