Sponsored by:

Shoutout to Lightworkz!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 05:30 PM
bakerphoto
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shoutout to Lightworkz!

Per the title, have to give a shoutout to Lightworkz for the great job and quick turnaround. If you're not familiar with them, they repair damaged headlight lenses by replacing the lenses with new ones. I had a headlight on my 1.2 GTS that was damaged by my PPF guy. I got to a point where I was going to be out of town for a week or two and decided now would be the time to send in the light. When I called them just to confirm details and get a turnaround, they said two weeks not including shipping. I shipped on a Tuesday and they received on Friday. I emailed on Tuesday to confirm they got it and they responded in minutes that it was done and going out the next day for Friday delivery! So a week and a half including shipping!

Workmanship looks great. The light is back installed and by all appearances is working as it should.
The following 5 users liked this post by bakerphoto:
CarreraFahrer (09-21-2024), Holger B (09-20-2024), jesm (09-23-2024), Tier1Terrier (09-20-2024), wilmaya (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 01:24 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

Can you describe the damage on the headlight that your PPF guy caused?
The following users liked this post:
itbme (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 03:32 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,249 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Can you describe the damage on the headlight that your PPF guy caused?
PPF is known to damage the protective coating on lenses when the PPF is removed, but people insist on installing it anyways.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
CarreraFahrer (09-21-2024), wkearney99 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 07:50 AM
bakerphoto
Advanced

To be clear, it was not damage caused by the PPF itself, rather that, he used a hamfisted technique in an attempt to remove an RFID sticker that had been applied by a previous owner. Lightworkz actually recommends that PPF be applied to the headlights. PPF had been applied over the damage about 18 months ago and came off without a problem.
Booth9999 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 11:00 AM
Bayern991
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have a website or contact information for this company? I tried googling the name and came up with lightwerks.net
OrionKhan (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 11:07 AM
bretth
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
PPF is known to damage the protective coating on lenses when the PPF is removed, but people insist on installing it anyways.
Please explain this further... that is an extremely important claim you are making.
Old 09-21-2024, 11:53 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by bretth
Please explain this further... that is an extremely important claim you are making.
I personally saw first hand just recently PPF being removed from a 991 headlight by a reputable installer using the steam method and witnessed the clear coating being lifted off in patches from the lens. It happens. I saw it with my own eyes. The lens can still be polished back again to be perfectly clear. And it doesn’t necessarily happen to the entire lens and might not happen at all. But there’s nothing that can be done to prevent it. As the clearcoat gets old, it simply becomes easier to lift off even if protected by PPF.

THIS is why you can spec a new 911 from the factory with full body PPF from the factory but they will NOT do the headlights. And Expel specifically states that even their PPF should not be applied to Porsche headlights and they will not warranty and damage caused to Porsche headlights. I’ve seen this in writing and Expel has even posted that here on Rennlist.
cbredesen (09-22-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 12:20 PM
bretth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I personally saw first hand just recently PPF being removed from a 991 headlight by a reputable installer using the steam method and witnessed the clear coating being lifted off in patches from the lens. It happens. I saw it with my own eyes. The lens can still be polished back again to be perfectly clear. And it doesn’t necessarily happen to the entire lens and might not happen at all. But there’s nothing that can be done to prevent it. As the clearcoat gets old, it simply becomes easier to lift off even if protected by PPF.

THIS is why you can spec a new 911 from the factory with full body PPF from the factory but they will NOT do the headlights. And Expel specifically states that even their PPF should not be applied to Porsche headlights and they will not warranty and damage caused to Porsche headlights. I’ve seen this in writing and Expel has even posted that here on Rennlist.
Interesting... so is it just the quality of the clear coat or cure time? If so, you should be able to say the same for car clear coat. What is special about car vs headlight coats?
Old 09-21-2024, 12:33 PM
bakerphoto
Advanced

Here you go.
https://lightwerkz.net/
Bayern991 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 12:58 PM
bretth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bakerphoto
"Here you go" what? You must be an AI/bot. The statement was that PPF damages headlights upon removal. How/why? Many people on this forum PPF headlights and then renew that process.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:05 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 748 Posts

"Here you go" what? You must be an AI/bot. The statement was that PPF damages headlights upon removal. How/why? Many people on this forum PPF headlights and then renew that process.

OP was responding to post #5. Post was not AI/Bot.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:08 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 271 Posts

...or maybe he is being kind and responsive to somebody that asked him for a link to the company mentioned in the original post.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:09 PM
bretth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bakerphoto
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
OP was responding to post #5. Post was not AI/Bot.
Gotcha, sorry.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:47 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

Brett, take a breath, the member responded with link for requested info. You weren’t quoted so it wasn’t directed at you. Best to you!
Old 09-21-2024, 01:54 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 520 Posts

Interesting... so is it just the quality of the clear coat or cure time? If so, you should be able to say the same for car clear coat. What is special about car vs headlight coats?
I honestly cannot answer this as I have not seen it happen in person on anything besides a Porsche 991 headlight lens. I can only guess that MAYBE the clearcoat adheres differently to the headlight lens than to the paint. I have however seen many accounts where PPF being removed from vehicles has indeed cause damage to and/or lifted paint. Remember that PPF manufacturers only warranty their product from defect. For instance, yellowing, premature lifting, etc. They don’t offer any remedy to damage caused by the removal of their product.

For the record, I am not a PPF hater. I have full top-to-bottom PPF on my car that is almost 5 years old and it still looks new except in areas where damage what caused by road debris. Some of the damage the PPF completely protected the paint and others went right through. It has it’s protective limits.

Quick Reply: Shoutout to Lightworkz!