Sponsored by:

Wheels on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:11 AM
Luca84
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Wheels on Ebay

I'm looking at wheels, and I'm having an hard time at finding anything that I like better than my carrera s wheels.

My car is white so I was tempted to go with black wheels and I found these on ebay with the gt3 style design. They are the same size of the carrera s but different offset, from what I understand they should poke 4mm more in the front and 14mm in the back (right now I run 5mm and 15mm spacers).

Here the link

What do you guys think? They are claimed to be forged as well amd if the quality is good they look like a steal...but I'm also very doubtful on spending $2k on ebay wheels that could turn out to be crap... Anybody purchased these?

Last edited by Luca84; 06-28-2021 at 02:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vinh Nguyen (06-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:51 AM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

I would be a bit reluctant to buy an unknown manufacturer's wheels off of the bay.

For GT3 style 5 lug forged wheels I would go here:

https://www.augmentwheels.com/pages/porsche-inspired
The following 2 users liked this post by myrr:
mc3456 (06-29-2021), rugu6869 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 07:47 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

They are China made wheels. No telling what kind of testing and who actually made them. China is the master of making things look authentic and not really delivering on the specs if you buy from a non authorized supplier. You don’t want to take the cheap route on wheels that might implode while driving at higher speeds. And you have no recourse if a wheel cracks and needs replacing.

if you don’t want to spend $6000-$10,000 on new higher brand wheels look at the Flow Formed wheels from HRE, Brixton Forged or Vorsteiner. Great looking wheels made by reputable companies at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Penn4S; 06-28-2021 at 07:50 AM.
polobai (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 09:20 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Agreed with Penn4S.

Rotiform makes a GT3 inspired 5 lug nuts rims which is called PGT, check them out. Only downside is that Rotiform is written on the edge of the rim so does not look 100% OEM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:17 AM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 82 Posts

A rennlist user purchased a very similar pair of wheels from ebay and they were also GT wheels but in silver. They've reported positive things if I recall correctly. I don't think "made in china" always equates to poor craftmanship. Some of the worst products I've purchased are made and assembled in America.

With that said, I'd just ensure they are from a reputable seller. I actually have a pair of 5-lug GT wheels myself and purchased them from AWC. But I'm tempted to buy a 19" set of GT wheels from ebay just for autocrossing for better tire size options.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueShell:
Porsche_nuts (06-28-2021), Viper1000 (07-02-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 11:45 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

It’s tempting, but IMO better to go the flow formed option from HRE, Vorstiener, etc. At least if you have an issue there is someone you can go to for help. You can find a new set for the same price and used with tires for similar or less as well.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:14 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 468 Likes on 303 Posts

There's just no telling what you're getting from eBay. They could be okay and they could break and cause you to crash. Are you will to take the risk?
As others have said, there are some very reputable manufacturers of flow-formed wheels out there for similar money to this.
If you want to spend a bit more, you can get forged wheels for $5k or less.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:26 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

I wouldn't broad brush Chinese manufactured products.... plenty of wheels are produced in China, certified, and sold in the US.... many have been posted here with positive experiences...
Check out Signature or BC-Forged.... both will be able to produce forged wheels with custom offsets, excellent styling, at a solid price point ($5kish shipped last I checked).... they are spot on with delivery times, and service is also excellent...

Originally Posted by Penn4S
They are China made wheels. No telling what kind of testing and who actually made them. China is the master of making things look authentic and not really delivering on the specs if you buy from a non authorized supplier. You don’t want to take the cheap route on wheels that might implode while driving at higher speeds. And you have no recourse if a wheel cracks and needs replacing.

if you don’t want to spend $6000-$10,000 on new higher brand wheels look at the Flow Formed wheels from HRE, Brixton Forged or Vorsteiner. Great looking wheels made by reputable companies at a reasonable price.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:13 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want black wheels, have yours powder-coated at a REPUTABLE WHEEL repair/refinishing shop (not just a powder-coating shop). I looked at the exact wheels you're considering and did a ton of research on aftermarket wheels. At the end of the day, your wheels were designed/engineered/manufactured for your particular car. After hours of reading, I became convinced that short of paying 8, 10, $12K on wheels, OEM wheels were the best option for my car. Powder-coated them black and LOVE them!

Last edited by AvgPorschefile; 06-28-2021 at 01:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AvgPorschefile:
Guards_Red_991 (06-29-2021), LargePuppy (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:53 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

You're black wheels do look amazing on your car! and 100% agree with you that it's best to go to a reputable wheel shop when exploring a powder coating option
As far as wheels being designed/engineered/manufactured for your particular car.... yes and no.... yes that the engineers at Porsche certainly observed the laws of physics in designing these wheels, but are they the end all be all to wheels... certainly not... especially once you get the business side of things involved in the discussion...

Not all Porsche wheels are forged, there are plenty of forged after market wheels of OEM level quality that will fall into reasonable price points... there's only so many foundries that can push these wheels out - you'd be surprised at how many are produced in China, undergo proper testing etc..... and then have a 'no-name' brand produced on the same line without any testing... stick with a brand that is reputable, provides domestic service/support, falls into a price point you're comfortable with - and you'll be a happy camper

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
If you want black wheels, have yours powder-coated at a REPUTABLE WHEEL repair/refinishing shop (not just a powder-coating shop). I looked at the exact wheels you're considering and did a ton of research on aftermarket wheels. At the end of the day, your wheels were designed/engineered/manufactured for your particular car. After hours of reading, I became convinced that short of paying 8, 10, $12K on wheels, OEM wheels were the best option for my car. Powder-coated them black and LOVE them!
Old 06-28-2021, 03:50 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Thanks LP. Fair enough. Didn't mean to suggest OEM was the only option, just that wheels are not something I'm willing to go "cheap" on, no matter how good they look. There are far too many forces at play to take that risk. Nor am I absolutely anti-Chinese products/manufacturing, since I suspect I'd have to forfeit at least half of what I own! This includes a fantastic rearview mirror mount for my V1G2, which is China-made. Cost a third the price of the "other" brand and does the same job (although there are plenty of Made in US loyalists on Rennlist that have disagreed)! Admittedly, however, it's function isn't as critical to vehicle performance and safety as wheels are.
LargePuppy (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 PM
Luca84
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by myrr
I would be a bit reluctant to buy an unknown manufacturer's wheels off of the bay.

For GT3 style 5 lug forged wheels I would go here:

https://www.augmentwheels.com/pages/porsche-inspired
I looked at them and they are made in China...wondering if they are coming from the same factory....

I agree with all of you and I am super worried about the quality. Looked at many brands included HRE, and besides not wanting to spend 8-10k. I just don't like how they look on the 991 (call me crazy).
Old 06-28-2021, 04:05 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Oh gosh, apologies, def not a finger point at you over pro/anti China etc. all that stuff - it is what it is... everyone's got a history and everyone's working for the better and all that good stuff

100% agree with you though that there's a def balance between price / performance with safety being paramount... learned that the hard way on some BMW wheels that bend the moment they sniffed a Chicago pothole... I remember purchasing them yeaaaars ago VMR I think was the brand? But yeah - def a buyer beware world, and always better to spend a few extra bucks than loose a few extra hairs with the stress that comes with busted parts

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
Thanks LP. Fair enough. Didn't mean to suggest OEM was the only option, just that wheels are not something I'm willing to go "cheap" on, no matter how good they look. There are far too many forces at play to take that risk. Nor am I absolutely anti-Chinese products/manufacturing, since I suspect I'd have to forfeit at least half of what I own! This includes a fantastic rearview mirror mount for my V1G2, which is China-made. Cost a third the price of the "other" brand and does the same job (although there are plenty of Made in US loyalists on Rennlist that have disagreed)! Admittedly, however, it's function isn't as critical to vehicle performance and safety as wheels are.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:46 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=LargePuppy;17520193]Oh gosh, apologies, def not a finger point at you over pro/anti China etc. all that stuff - it is what it is... everyone's got a history and everyone's working for the better and all that good stuff
QUOTE]
No apology necessary, LP!
Old 06-29-2021, 01:46 AM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

I’ve lowered the price on my ADV1 two piece wheels for sale. They are fully forged and definitely not Chinese.

Quick Reply: Wheels on Ebay