Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk scanners! iCarSoft Por 2.0 vs iCarSoft CR V2.0 vs. Foxwell vs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 10:51 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

Would like to find something to use on C4GTS, Audi A4 and Volvo XC90. Latter 2 have purchased and factory maintenance for 3 and 2 years respectively. Thanks
Old 04-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by phi399
Has anyone found a scanner that will do a pdk calibration? I have the Foxwell and it has it in the menu. I tried it and it fails.
I'm also looking for a scanner that will perform the PDK calibration on a 2013 Carrera S but it's difficult to get reliable information from the vendors. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Foxwell NT530 that lists "Transmission Calibration" but from what phi399 comment, it looks like it's not working. Anybody else has experience on the Foxwell (or any other tool like Autel) performing successfully the PDK calibration on a 991.1?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Has anyone found a scanner that will do a pdk calibration? I have the Foxwell and it has it in the menu. I tried it and it fails.
can you describe exactly how it fails?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 PM
phi399
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have to run through it again to remember the exact error message. I can go into the module and it allows me to go through multiple steps. It brings up the screen that tells you are you sure you want to proceed etc. When I click yes, it tells me the function was aborted/canclled. Tried a few times, made sure codes were cleared etc.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:09 AM
mx-5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
I've been looking for a scanner to help with some DIY at home. Ideally, it would be used for only maintenance/oil light resets. Now I know there are Porsche specific models, but i'd like to find something that's a reasonable price that will work on multiple brands of manufacturers -- mainly euro, porsche, Audi, and MB.

I had settled on the iCarSoft CR V2.0 originally. Based on everything I've read, it does exactly what the Por 2.0 does except you can add more manufacturers to the device. Information on the iCarSoft site is terrible, so not much information there. I reached out to Diagnostic-world.com who does a lot of reviews on scanners. Their response was to either get the Por 2.0 model or the Pro model.
When I emailed iCarSoft to ask if the CR V2.0 does what the POR 2.0 does, I was told yes, it covers all the functions of POR v2.0 if the Porsche software is installed. It'll do the same as V2.0 series products, with the ability to do 10 brands on one unit. The Pro will allow more than 10.

I'm curious why Diagnostic-world.com would not recommend CR V2.0, but would suggest POR 2.0 or the Pro, if you need more than 1 brand but don't need more than 10.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:58 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I would have to run through it again to remember the exact error message. I can go into the module and it allows me to go through multiple steps. It brings up the screen that tells you are you sure you want to proceed etc. When I click yes, it tells me the function was aborted/canclled. Tried a few times, made sure codes were cleared etc.
You have the car at operating temperature and all that? Should be all the stuff it runs you through before starting the test. It'll fail out if any of the parameters aren't in spec.

It's a bunch of seemingly arbitrary stuff like car at certain temp, trans at certain temp, foot on brake, hvac off, windshield wipers on medium, window rolled down 6.3 inches
The following users liked this post:
docskeet (07-15-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on my exchange with diagnostic-world. They said in theory the V2.0 should do the same and support up to 10 cars. But they said based on their testing they saw this wasn't to be true and thus could not recommend it. They said to get the Por or the Pro, but not the regular CR 2.0. Believe me, the CR 2.0 would be the perfect solution. The chances of me having 5 brands of different cars at this point in my life is pretty close to 0.

Originally Posted by mx-5
When I emailed iCarSoft to ask if the CR V2.0 does what the POR 2.0 does, I was told yes, it covers all the functions of POR v2.0 if the Porsche software is installed. It'll do the same as V2.0 series products, with the ability to do 10 brands on one unit. The Pro will allow more than 10.

I'm curious why Diagnostic-world.com would not recommend CR V2.0, but would suggest POR 2.0 or the Pro, if you need more than 1 brand but don't need more than 10.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM
wiredup
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any other comments related to differences in these units? I am looking for resetting service lights, turning off ABS warning after seat re-installatiion, etc.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredup
Any other comments related to differences in these units? I am looking for resetting service lights, turning off ABS warning after seat re-installatiion, etc.
iCarsoft POR V3.0 works for resetting the service interval and turning off the airbag warning after removing the seats. It's my understanding that V2.0 couldn't do the latter.
wiredup (07-14-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:43 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Schwaben Porsche tool (rebranded Foxwell, I think), and an Autel (MaxiDiag MD808 Pro).
The Autel is slightly more expensive, but is much easier to use IMHO, and supports multiple vehicles.

The Schwaben covers all the usual DIY functionality, including battery registration.
I have it for sale if anyone is interested.

Sanjeev
Old 03-20-2022, 11:00 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

I've spent hours reading threads and still have questions. Hopefully someone can shed light on which scanner option might be best for my needs.
  • I don't have a Windows PC and won't buy one, so if it needs a PC to work/update, then it's not an option. I won't run a VM either. Seems like Foxwell and Durametric fail this requirement.
  • It needs to work with my 991.1 GTS and 997.2 GTS. Something that works with my 2018 Wrangler JKU (pre fiat motor) would be a bonus.
  • Primary use case is resetting service reminders. Management of ABS to bleed brakes would be a bonus.

Thoughts on options? Thanks
Old 03-20-2022, 12:16 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Autel MaxiAP AP200 OBDII Full Diagnostic Tool

For the basic OBDII Code reading/resets, Oil & Service Resets, Electronic Parking Brake Service, Air Bag Reset, Steering Sensor Adj, Battery Replacement (BMS), take a look at the

It is a lower cost (about $65), and comes with one Manufacturer software download for free. Additional manufactures are only $20 each.

I have used my Autel MaxiAP AP200 on a Porsche 981, 991.2 and 718, using just the free initial download (Porsche software). It will scan and read all systems for faults and will create a written PDF file for your records, prior to resetting the faults. Worked great on my 718 when I have the PPF installed and they disconnected my battery, as the car threw up faults in just about every system that needed to be reset. The one item that is not in the Porsche software is the ABS Brake Controller Fluid Bleed. Yet it does every other DIY service I have needed.

Plus I like that it works without the need for a Windows PC or Apple computer. Works off my Phone or Table.

For a versatile lower cost OBD II Reader/Reset Tool with some good Service Functionality, the Autel MaxiAP AP200 is worth investigating.

AP200 Basic Info Sheet

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
bds (06-21-2022), GTSence (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 01:39 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 206 Posts

i have a foxwell 510...anyone know how to set the date on an oil reset...it keeps telling me "wrong format?
BGLeduc (02-14-2024)
Old 03-20-2022, 11:42 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
For the basic OBDII Code reading/resets, Oil & Service Resets, Electronic Parking Brake Service, Air Bag Reset, Steering Sensor Adj, Battery Replacement (BMS), take a look at the

Autel AP200.

It is a lower cost (about $65), and comes with one Manufacturer software download for free. Additional manufactures are only $20 each.

I have used my Autel MaxiAP AP200 on a Porsche 981, 991.2 and 718, using just the free initial download (Porsche software). It will scan and read all systems for faults and will create a written PDF file for your records, prior to resetting the faults. Worked great on my 718 when I have the PPF installed and they disconnected my battery, as the car threw up faults in just about every system that needed to be reset. The one item that is not in the Porsche software is the ABS Brake Controller Fluid Bleed. Yet it does every other DIY service I have needed.

Plus I like that it works without the need for a Windows PC or Apple computer. Works off my Phone or Table.

For a versatile lower cost OBD II Reader/Reset Tool with some good Service Functionality, the Autel MaxiAP AP200 is worth investigating.

AP200 Basic Info Sheet

@981KMAN .. other posts claim the autel requires an annual subscription.. is that true?
Old 03-21-2022, 01:20 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMorey
@981KMAN .. other posts claim the autel requires an annual subscription.. is that true?
No, not for the initial free manufacturer. My understanding is that is lifetime. However, the additional manufacturer's that cost $15 to $20, are for one year only. Says this on the info sheet I linked to ....

GTSence (03-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Let's talk scanners! iCarSoft Por 2.0 vs iCarSoft CR V2.0 vs. Foxwell vs?