Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something about the 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 12:06 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

first sentence in first post made me think of Rush, Red Barchetta. "Laughing out loud with fear and hope I've got a desperate plan"

absolutely love my 991.1 but i think my 993 is a bit more fun to drive because of the slower-car-fast theory too.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:13 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Agreed. There's a certain point where more power isn't actually helpful or even more fun as far as street driving is concerned, and that point was hit some 20 years ago in the 911 IMHO.

You also have the "slow car fast" argument/phenomenon to take into account. I drove a first generation AWD 5-speed RAV4 as a daily just a couple years ago (long story involving a lifted Miata), and to this day that is still one of the highest smiles-per-gallon vehicles I've driven if only because you're at WOT literally all the time.
I agree. Not that 991.1 isn't powerful, but the NA and the Sound!!!

I also like your signature pic. Still have it?

Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I know the feeling as well. In my budget there was a silver Turbo (actually a bit above the max budget but I was thinking of it) as well as a silver Carrera S and the white C4S.
2 things that got me almost disappointed with the turbo: it doesn't dev as high as the S, and the accel is so brutal that you can't floor it and enjoy for more than a second or so.
I ended up getting the C4S, it's not a GT3 (which doesn't have the rear seats I needed) but the 3.8 normally aspired engine contributes to make it feel a bit like a 997 GT3.
I really like this car and I wish we could have a N.A. 4 seat 992...

That being, turbo engines give a lot of room for tuning ;-)

Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 271 Posts

Best thing about the 991.1 to me is that I own one! I will probably never be able to afford to level up, so I guess I have to be satisfied with my 2012 C2S. Not exactly the greatest sacrifice in life!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:14 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I also like your signature pic. Still have it?
I assume the Montego Blue miata? Can't remember off hand what I have in the signature rotation.

If so, I don't have.. most of it. It was a '96 I bought in 2006, hilariously overbuilt an engine for it, turbocharged it, had all that fun, then turned into an exocet in 2016. Currently the only remains of that car (in my possession at least) are the steering column, control arms, most of the rear subframe, battery terminals, pedal cluster, brakes, and ebrake handle. It's pending an LFX swap right now, just gotta find my motivation.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:34 PM
slimmn
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

I assume the Montego Blue miata? Can't remember off hand what I have in the signature rotation.

If so, I don't have.. most of it. It was a '96 I bought in 2006, hilariously overbuilt an engine for it, turbocharged it, had all that fun, then turned into an exocet in 2016. Currently the only remains of that car (in my possession at least) are the steering column, control arms, most of the rear subframe, battery terminals, pedal cluster, brakes, and ebrake handle. It's pending an LFX swap right now, just gotta find my motivation.
Boy, I sure would like to see what else you have in your garage right now!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, that miata. Same color as mine. At least I am sure it brings some good memories to you. I love mine. '96 also. I keep it stock though.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

As much as I want to celebrate this thread (I just got my 991.1), I'm pretty much sure that faster feels better to me in most situations and if I drove a 991.2 or a 992 it would pretty much result in poor financial decisions being made on the spot.

My E93 M3 was one of those 'special' cars with a screaming, high-revving V8. I loved it on the back roads, but rare was the moment that I could wind it out for the smiles. Getting the most out of it in suburbia would have been irresponsible. When I drove an F80, despite it's fart-can exhaust note, it was so much more fun to hoof around in at low/mid revs. I didn't feel the need to wring its neck to enjoy it, like I had to in my E93. I think the 991.2 and 992 will be similarly fun in most daily situations, although the smile won't quite be the same as a 991.1 at full-rpms.

Don't get me wrong, driving a slow car fast is immense fun, but driving a fast car fast can be too.

Last edited by Gripster; 01-05-2021 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gripster:
afk (01-06-2021), borivojc (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Something about the 991.1