Sponsored by:

KW HAS on 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default KW HAS on 991.2 S

I just installed the KW HAS kit and am very surprised that the zero-spring is fully compressed when the suspension is completely unladen.

Has anyone installed this kit?

Old 06-12-2020, 03:42 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 680 Posts

In my experience that is how they are by design, compressed at static load. They are supposed to take up the slack when the shock is extended.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:06 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
In my experience that is how they are by design, compressed at static load. They are supposed to take up the slack when the shock is extended.
That's my point. The suspension is completely extended and the zero-spring is fully compressed. it doesn't make sense.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Don't have an answer for you, but agree that that doesn't "look" right. Some preload yes, but unless the helper spring can be crushed with your pinky…

Has KW said anything?

Have been curious about HAS kit, as it appears to be linear springs and adjustable ride height with factory PASM dampers. If it's compatible with 991.2 nose lift, might be a viable solution for my porpoising TechArt springs.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:38 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

The helper spring should be fully compressed under load. That is how it is designed. It does not contribute the the dampening of the suspension. The sole purpose is to reduce/mitigate any noise when the shock is full extended.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
The helper spring should be fully compressed under load. That is how it is designed. It does not contribute the the dampening of the suspension. The sole purpose is to reduce/mitigate any noise when the shock is full extended.
Strange, then why have helper spring? To mitigate noise ?

I believe original query was derived because he felt there was some progressive aspect to the spring set up. What I am interested in is what his impressions are on spring stiffness.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Per the two gents above, see this link.

https://www.hypercoils.com/helper-springs/
Old 06-12-2020, 07:10 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Strange, then why have helper spring? To mitigate noise ?

I believe original query was derived because he felt there was some progressive aspect to the spring set up. What I am interested in is what his impressions are on spring stiffness.
No. I know what a zero-spring does. I’ve been using suspensions with them for 25 years now.

If you go back and read what I wrote, I’m questioning the fact that there is a zero-spring and that it appears to be useless.

The picture is taken on a lift with the wheels off. I’m still wondering why so many people here don’t understand this. 🤷‍♂️
Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by stout
Don't have an answer for you, but agree that that doesn't "look" right. Some preload yes, but unless the helper spring can be crushed with your pinky…

Has KW said anything?

Have been curious about HAS kit, as it appears to be linear springs and adjustable ride height with factory PASM dampers. If it's compatible with 991.2 nose lift, might be a viable solution for my porpoising TechArt springs.
I finally got an answer from KW.

Apparently the kit isn’t designed to be installed at the highest position. When I asked why the thread went that high, they didn’t have an answer.

I wanted to do like I always do with this type of suspension and break the springs in, at a higher setting and lower the car later, on corner weight plates.

So, on KW’s suggestion, I lowered it all the way down in the front and 10 mm from bottom in the rear.

The first 100 km was definitely weird and felt unsettled but it ten got almost perfect when I reached 200 km. I’m quite surprised at how well matched they are to the PASM-S dampers.

I have my first track day tomorrow so that’s when I’ll be setting up the corner weight and alignment.

We shall see. 😉
Old 06-12-2020, 09:29 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I had this kit on my 991.1 S and loved it. It was the same. I had them at low settings and then adjusted after some driving. It drove great. I also have the ABT HAS for my Audi S5. I think ABT makes the KW kits. Let us know how it performs on the track
The following users liked this post:
ZerOG (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Here’s a quick idea how much it settles after 200 km of initial driving.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:15 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ZerOG
I finally got an answer from KW.

Apparently the kit isn’t designed to be installed at the highest position. When I asked why the thread went that high, they didn’t have an answer.

I wanted to do like I always do with this type of suspension and break the springs in, at a higher setting and lower the car later, on corner weight plates.

So, on KW’s suggestion, I lowered it all the way down in the front and 10 mm from bottom in the rear.

The first 100 km was definitely weird and felt unsettled but it ten got almost perfect when I reached 200 km. I’m quite surprised at how well matched they are to the PASM-S dampers.

I have my first track day tomorrow so that’s when I’ll be setting up the corner weight and alignment.

We shall see. 😉
Originally Posted by NJ991
I had this kit on my 991.1 S and loved it. It was the same. I had them at low settings and then adjusted after some driving. It drove great. I also have the ABT HAS for my Audi S5. I think ABT makes the KW kits. Let us know how it performs on the track
The KW HAS kit has been on my .2 GTS since about six months ago and I am seriously considering moving to a coilover kit like the B16. My car rides ok but definitely rides like a lowered car. It was originally set pretty low which rode horrible so I added a DSC module which helped some but not enough so I had it raised about 1/4", that also helped a bit but its still far from what you guys are explaining. I feel the dampers are very soft. Is it possible that something wasn't done properly during the install? The install was done by a suspension shop so i'm pretty sure it was done right. I'm also wondering if there's a way to tighten up the dampers with the DCS module, anyone know? Would love to drive another 911 on KW and compare. Maybe a "great" ride to some is a horrible to others? On the flip side this other Porsche owner would get to drive mine if they'd say were interested in a tune or some hf cats. Anyone in the LA area on the KW has?

Last edited by eysa; 06-13-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes, it does drive like a lowered car, but it for a lowered car it drove great. I know what you are looking for, and going with a full set of coils and shocks or coilovers will yield the results you want. Just go with coils, so you get the adjustability.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:36 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by eysa
The KW HAS kit has been on my .2 GTS since about six months ago and I am seriously considering moving to a coilover kit like the B16. My car rides ok but definitely rides like a lowered car. It was originally set pretty low which rode horrible so I added a DSC module which helped some but not enough so I had it raised about 1/4", that also helped a bit but its still far from what you guys are explaining. I feel the dampers are very soft. Is it possible that something wasn't done properly during the install? The install was done by a suspension shop so i'm pretty sure it was done right. I'm also wondering if there's a way to tighten up the dampers with the DCS module, anyone know? Would love to drive another 911 on KW and compare. Maybe a "great" ride to some is a horrible to others? On the flip side this other Porsche owner would get to drive mine if they'd say were interested in a tune to some hf cats. Anyone in the LA area on the KW has?
Mine is a S so it’s narrow body and RWD. I’m sure the same springs have a slightly different effect on the two variants.

Alignment settings have a lot to do with what you describe as “driving like a lowered car”.

I totally understand that you many not prefer that and you’ll find that getting adjustable suspension arms that allow you to bring the alignment closer to stock. You should really looking into that before getting a complete damper and springs set.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 PM
nanozic
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have FAL so there were no helpers on the front but here is how my rear looked during install:

Quick Reply: KW HAS on 991.2 S