Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991 Maintenance Quirks! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1195237-991-maintenance-quirks.html)

ericmeds 05-20-2020 01:35 PM

991 Maintenance Quirks!

Let's get a new 991 maintenance/driving quirks thread going.

I'll go first -

During oil change with 991 on a lift, 7.3-7.5 quarts empty however if you use ramps on rear only, 8.5 will drain.

Porsche_nuts 05-20-2020 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ericmeds (Post 16641498)
Let's get a new 991 maintenance/driving quirks thread going.

I'll go first -

During oil change with 991 on a lift, 7.3-7.5 quarts empty however if you use ramps on rear only, 8.5 will drain.

This has happened to me too!

koala 05-20-2020 03:17 PM

I like the ramp trick, nice to drain a bit more oil that way.

I've also learned to use a weight scale to know exactly how much oil I drained and subsequently add. I did this last week and nailed my fill within 200 mL (oil gauge reads exactly where it did before the change).

Jack F 05-20-2020 09:29 PM

Using Quick Jack which raises the car symmetrically, 991.2 C4 GTS drained just about 8.5 quarts after about 45 min.

Bud Taylor 05-21-2020 10:54 AM

To change the battery you are forced to drop a bolt into the abyss by an extremely awkward placement on the firewall.

polobai 05-21-2020 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jack F (Post 16642690)
Using Quick Jack which raises the car symmetrically, 991.2 C4 GTS drained just about 8.5 quarts after about 45 min.

Same here with my 991.2 Carerra T on my home lift-left it for a while and refilled about 8.5 quarts (still could take another 1/8th of a quart or so).

Rich_Jenkins 05-21-2020 11:14 AM

At least on my car, attempting to extract/install the oil filter cannister cover with filter is accompanied by a greater than average amount of swearing as I try to negotiate the virtually nil clearance afforded by the intake runners. I sweartagod my car must be different somehow than all the guys who leisurely remove their oil filter housing cover in like their Dinner Jackets or whatever. :)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...859d71bb5.jpeg

polobai 05-21-2020 11:15 AM

An oddity is having to remove the wheel or turn it and remove the fenderliner in case your battery is completely dead to access the emergency frunk release if you are not successful powering the switch from the fusebox...especially considering the wheel lock is usually in the frunk.

polobai 05-21-2020 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins (Post 16643717)
At least on my car, attempting to extract/install the oil filter cannister cover with filter is accompanied by a greater than average amount of swearing as I try to negotiate the virtually nil clearance afforded by the intake runners. I sweartagod my car must be different somehow than all the guys who leisurely remove their oil filter housing cover in like their Dinner Jackets or whatever. :)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...859d71bb5.jpeg

I remember when you posted this a few months back-after removing my bumper and the air inlet and reinstalling on my car, I am almost positive that your air inlet is not reinstalled properly and that is what is causing the clearance issue on your car.

Rich_Jenkins 05-21-2020 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by polobai (Post 16643728)
I remember when you posted this a few months back-after removing my bumper and the air inlet and reinstalling on my car, I am almost positive that your air inlet is not reinstalled properly and that is what is causing the clearance issue on your car.

Yeah, part of my reason for posting is to see if I am literally the only 991.2 owner with this problem. I could believe it though.

Car is "stock" and (so far as I know) dealer maintained, prior to me. For sure the bumper cover was off last July when they performed a service that required dropping the tank to fix a fault with a tank vent sensor. Otherwise, no other work. I've stared at the drawings for the install / assembly of that intake runner on the various documentation I have, and it has led me to conclude there is no physical way it can be installed correctly (not allowing for Murphy of course!). But obviously one wonders...I'm pondering a buzz over to my dealer at some point and talk to one of the techs about this.

SConn 05-21-2020 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor (Post 16643643)
To change the battery you are forced to drop a bolt into the abyss by an extremely awkward placement on the firewall.

Not to mention the battery weighs 300 lbs, so getting it out takes a crane.

Duke I 05-21-2020 11:29 AM

The worst for me: having to dismantle the rear of the car to change out air filters.

koala 05-21-2020 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Duke I (Post 16643767)
The worst for me: having to dismantle the rear of the car to change out air filters.

I suck at getting the bumper to line up with the rear fenders - almost always bulges out a bit near the wheel arches. There must be some trick to it that I haven't discovered as of yet!

ericmeds 05-21-2020 02:03 PM

or when the dealer breaks your bumper and covers it up with tape - making it difficult to remove/install due to it being thicker and sticky from the adhesive :banghead:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...849619d8c.jpeg

Originally Posted by koala (Post 16643906)
I suck at getting the bumper to line up with the rear fenders - almost always bulges out a bit near the wheel arches. There must be some trick to it that I haven't discovered as of yet!

koala 05-21-2020 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ericmeds (Post 16644232)
or when the dealer breaks your bumper and covers it up with tape - making it difficult to remove/install due to it being thicker and sticky from the adhesive :banghead:

Wow, that is absolute BS. So sorry to see that. I strongly dislike dealing with our local Porsche dealer and their inflated prices, so I've learned to do most of my maintenance myself or to take it to an indy that I trust for jobs that are beyond my capabilities.