Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Looking for Advice on Bad PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 931 Likes on 489 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful! I bought the car privately, so no warranty or CPO. I'll try to take a photo but it is tight up in there. It seems to be leaking near the fill plug where the two metal lines enter the casing. It only leaks while driving, not just when sitting. It might be worth a shot at a goodwill repair. I did not know they did that. Thank you for suggesting that I try that first. I won't drive it anymore because I have no idea what percentage of oil has been lost.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:29 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Location of leak on PDK case

I found the leak and it is "only" an $1,800 repair. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Specifically how did they find it, what caused it, & what do they have to do to repair it? Can it happen again?

Just curious...

Glad it worked out!!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:06 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

I originally found oil on the under tray below the PDK housing so I starting looking for the leak. I cleaned and de-greased the area then drove it to see where it was coming from. I pointed it out to the mechanics and they later conceded I was right after dismissing my suggestion.originally. Apparently there are O-rings there that can fail. In order to repair it they replace those two return lines. So I assume it can happen again. I'm just glad I caught it before it ran dry and failed completely, which it probably would have done on the first track day.
The following users liked this post:
B Russ (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:57 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I originally found oil on the under tray below the PDK housing so I starting looking for the leak. I cleaned and de-greased the area then drove it to see where it was coming from. I pointed it out to the mechanics and they later conceded I was right after dismissing my suggestion.originally. Apparently there are O-rings there that can fail. In order to repair it they replace those two return lines. So I assume it can happen again. I'm just glad I caught it before it ran dry and failed completely, which it probably would have done on the first track day.
$1800 for two lines? Is this an engine out type of job? Seems a bit steep.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:01 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911.
$1800 for two lines? Is this an engine out type of job? Seems a bit steep.
LOL, everything seems steep with these cars! In fairness though, I'm sure a lot of stuff has to get moved. I can barely fit my hand in there. Then they have to replace the PDK filter and put in new oil. I'm sure the parts are less than the labor for this job. Heck, my dealer charges $195 for an oil change. I can do that myself, of course.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
LOL, everything seems steep with these cars! In fairness though, I'm sure a lot of stuff has to get moved. I can barely fit my hand in there. Then they have to replace the PDK filter and put in new oil. I'm sure the parts are less than the labor for this job. Heck, my dealer charges $195 for an oil change. I can do that myself, of course.
$195 at a dealer is a bargain! Are you referring to a Porsche dealer or Indy? And is the $1800 quote from a Porsche dealer?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:21 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
$195 at a dealer is a bargain! Are you referring to a Porsche dealer or Indy? And is the $1800 quote from a Porsche dealer?
$1800 is an Indy that specializes in P cars, $195 oil change from same group (Champion Motorsports).
The following users liked this post:
Texas Porsche (03-12-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:30 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you contacted the dealer? You should have at least a 30-day warranty, unless you waived your right to it: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...used-cars.html

I only thought to look it up because I received a dealer warranty (as above) even though my 911 was still under its original warranty, plus the CPO warranty. I was triple covered for a month

The New Jersey Used Car Lemon Law requires a car dealer to correct a "material defect" of a covered item of the used car if the defect occurred during the warranty period. A material defect is defined as, "a malfunction of a used motor vehicle, subject to the warranty, which substantially impairs its use, value or safety."

The covered parts include:
  • Engine. All internal lubricated parts, timing chains, gears and cover, timing belt, pulleys and cover, oil pump and gears, water pump, valve covers, oil pan, manifolds, flywheel, harmonic balancer, engine mounts, seals and gaskets, and turbo-charger housing (Housing, engine block, and cylinder heads are covered only if they are damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part.)
  • Transmission Automatic/Transfer Case. All internal lubricated parts, torque converter, vacuum modulator, transmission mounts, seals, and gaskets.
  • Transmission Manual/Transfer Case. All Internal lubricated parts, transmission mounts, seals and gaskets (excluding manual clutch), pressure plate, throw-out bearings, clutch master, or slave cylinders.
  • Front-Wheel Drive. All internal lubricated parts, axle shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub bearings, seals, and gaskets.
  • Rear-Wheel Drive. All internal lubricated parts, propeller shafts, supports and U-joints, axle shafts and bearings, seals, and gaskets.
If you suspect that your used car has a defect, you must notify the car dealer right away and be sure to keep a complete record of your receipts and communications with the car dealer. You will be responsible for paying a $50 deductible for each repair of each covered item.

Edit for wonky spacing

Quick Reply: New Member Looking for Advice on Bad PDK