Sponsored by:

Leather seats pealing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 PM
CaptainL
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leather seats pealing?

I tried searching. Not much luck. Is this a defect or normal? Just purchased a 2017 cpo last month. Didn't get a ppi..i know, i know. The drivers seat is pealing where you butt goes and the part that extends and touches your hamstrings. I've never had problems with leather pealing in my infinity, Nissan, and Toyotas, so im kind of upset to see this. Still under factory warranty for another 6 months or so, then cpo. What do you guys think? Anyone else have this problem?

It rubs off pretty easily.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Not normal, the material is definitely coming up. Could be improper cleaning, or maybe someone was using a lotion or sunscreen on their legs which reacted with the leather and caused it to peel.

I would talk with the dealer that sold you the car and see if they are willing to do anything to make it right. Expect this to take a lot of effort. You can also talk to your dealer though and see if they will goodwill it or try and get it covered under warranty, but normally this stuff is considered wear and tear, not a warranty claim item.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainL (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

The leather finish has failed, and should be covered under warranty, this not due wear as it appears the finish is coming off in areas that don’t get much wear (under the front edge of the seat bottom).

Leather seats, at times, have a painted finish applied and can be refinished. Don’t know for sure if Porsche does that as well.

I had a large crack on the bottom portion of the driver’s seat on my Mercedes, they replaced the entire bottom cover under my extended warranty, so coverage does happen on a “wear”’ item.
CaptainL (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Yikes.

How many miles on the car?

I hope no one tried to hide seat wear by painting over the original surface.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I hope no one tried to hide seat wear by painting over the original surface.
That is what it looks like to me. A top coat repair that isn't holding.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 PM
CaptainL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That is what it looks like to me. A top coat repair that isn't holding.
22,000 miles. The darker area is where it has pealed. The whole seat is actually the lighter color so from what i can tell it isn't from a"fix".
Old 01-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

If this isn’t from a fix then how did this happen. You bought a cpo car and everything looked great and was normal and then suddenly in the 6 months of ownership the leather coating fails. I say that someone tried to hide this and you have uncovered it. Bring it to the dealer and sow it to your sales guy and give him the keys and tell him to call you when they have come up with a solution.
CaptainL (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptainL
22,000 miles. The darker area is where it has pealed. The whole seat is actually the lighter color so from what i can tell it isn't from a"fix".
If it isn't a botch repair the only other thing I have seen similar was when a wet cloth was left on a seat for an extended period and it lifted the top coat of the leather right off. But that damage was immediately evident.

Your damage has seemed to come from nowhere correct?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 PM
CaptainL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If it isn't a botch repair the only other thing I have seen similar was when a wet cloth was left on a seat for an extended period and it lifted the top coat of the leather right off. But that damage was immediately evident.

Your damage has seemed to come from nowhere correct?
From what i can tell it was already there, I just missed it initially. I tried to put some leather conditioner on it, and it started pealing. I've had it for less than 1 month.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptainL
From what i can tell it was already there, I just missed it initially. I tried to put some leather conditioner on it, and it started pealing. I've had it for less than 1 month.
INHO you have two options and both are pretty good. You could contact the dealer and see what they can do for you via warranty. If they refuse to do anything there are many leather restoration shops all over the country that can repair the leather top coat and do it so well it will last as long as the original factory finish. The repair will not cost much either. These shops basically spray on a new finish and they are great at matching the original colors. Car dealerships use these places all the time to spiff up interiors of cars coming off lease. If you know anyone in the car trade ask them who they use.

There is a third DIY option where you restore it yourself. Places like this sell the supplies. It seem crazy but it works, much better than you would think.

https://www.leatherrepairkits.com/au...sche&model=911

https://www.seatdoctors.com/porsche-...11-leather-dye

Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 129 Posts

Not to be an @ss but it is PEELING, not PEALING. You're welcome!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex_c
I thought I heard bells.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 PM
CaptainL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex_c
Can't escape the grammar police.... Can I just blame it on my phone? 🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Stay on topic all...there are misspellings, grammar issues, etc. in just about every post - IDGAF.

Anyway, let us know what the dealer says but I bet you are not going to like the answer. Did you see pictures of the seat before you got it? Or do you have pictures when you got it?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

They might have the photos of the car that were taken to list the car on their site. See if you can get those. That will tell you if it was there before. Holy hell. That needs to get sorted out. And soon. Wait until you sweat a bit and it will look like you soiled your trousers. Yes, I said trousers. Someone might think that you crapped your slacks. Yes, I said slacks.

Quick Reply: Leather seats pealing?