Sponsored by:

"High Mileage" break point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 AM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default "High Mileage" break point?

I'm looking at a '16 GTS with just under 50k miles. The car originally stickered for $139k and the seller is asking $92k including full 2 year CPO. I like the car but its not my dream car so I don't think she's a life-long keeper and I need to be concerned with resale. At what point does the car become "Un-CPO-able" if I were to trade it back, and where is the value cliff looming if I try to sell it privately? I did an extensive forum search and the most relevant post had a person claiming to have purchased a car that was the same age as the one I'm considering with 70k miles, and he got it from a dealer with a CPO for less than half the original window sticker. I know it's just 1 example but it was all I could find, and that one example told me in 20k miles, the car would be worth roughly $20k less on a dealer's lot which would mean roughly $30k less in my hands. Its giving me the impression that I'm nearing the edge of the value cliff and might take a significant loss if/when I try to move the car down the road.

thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure the CPO transfers to a new owner in a private sale?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 680 Posts

Current model year vehicles and those of thirteen previous model years from the original in-service date with less than 124,000 miles are eligible for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Program.
Yes CPO is transferable. It is attached to the VIN, not the owner.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:13 AM
*991*
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
I'm looking at a '16 GTS with just under 50k miles. The car originally stickered for $139k and the seller is asking $92k including full 2 year CPO. I like the car but its not my dream car so I don't think she's a life-long keeper and I need to be concerned with resale. At what point does the car become "Un-CPO-able" if I were to trade it back, and where is the value cliff looming if I try to sell it privately? I did an extensive forum search and the most relevant post had a person claiming to have purchased a car that was the same age as the one I'm considering with 70k miles, and he got it from a dealer with a CPO for less than half the original window sticker. I know it's just 1 example but it was all I could find, and that one example told me in 20k miles, the car would be worth roughly $20k less on a dealer's lot which would mean roughly $30k less in my hands. Its giving me the impression that I'm nearing the edge of the value cliff and might take a significant loss if/when I try to move the car down the road.

thanks!
U are making alot of assumptions from only one example. If the car is in good shape and its what u want make a realistic offer. I wouldnt worry too much right now about resale u may have 3,5 or more years of incredible enjoyment from car! Just my 2 cents...Good Luck in your search
Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

"High mileage break point?".

I'd say anything over 250,000 miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
shammerman (07-17-2019), subshooter (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Are you buying to enjoy or for re-sale value? If you buy it and sell/trade in a short span of time, you will eat a large % of depreciation.

Spread the cost over time.

My '13 Mercedes isn't worth much, even in its pristine condition, and it has 8 months left on its extended warranty. I'll be keeping it; replacing it would be expensive and TBH, the newer models seem to have been cheapened up. Porsches do maintain their value better (some models exceptionally so) but you don't want to buy and sell too soon, that gets expensive unless you don't care.

To find your dream Porsche is going to a be tough. I looked for months and no dice. Ended up ordering a new one.

Here's a thought, 718 GT4, new. They list at under 100k to start, now that may be a real dream car.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

im at 26k and bought my lease out at 93. nice to see that these rigs are holding their value so well.

disclaimer: i wouldn't sell it for 115
sr5959 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
"High mileage break point?".

I'd say anything over 250,000 miles.

Should be mine in about 17 years!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

These cars are meant to be driven. The day I worry about putting miles on a car is the day I put that car for sale. The biggest hit you take on a car is when you buy it new, when it is used and well maintained you are actually getting pretty good value for your money. Life is too short to worry about that. buy a car you like and you can afford and enjoy every minute of it.
The following 5 users liked this post by rockrdude:
Honda (07-18-2019), Schorsch (08-09-2019), sr5959 (07-17-2019), TurboS_GG (07-17-2019), Wing Commander (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSO
Are you buying to enjoy or for re-sale value? If you buy it and sell/trade in a short span of time, you will eat a large % of depreciation.

Spread the cost over time.

My '13 Mercedes isn't worth much, even in its pristine condition, and it has 8 months left on its extended warranty. I'll be keeping it; replacing it would be expensive and TBH, the newer models seem to have been cheapened up. Porsches do maintain their value better (some models exceptionally so) but you don't want to buy and sell too soon, that gets expensive unless you don't care.

To find your dream Porsche is going to a be tough. I looked for months and no dice. Ended up ordering a new one.

Here's a thought, 718 GT4, new. They list at under 100k to start, now that may be a real dream car.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by rockrdude
These cars are meant to be driven. The day I worry about putting miles on a car is the day I put that car for sale. The biggest hit you take on a car is when you buy it new, when it is used and well maintained you are actually getting pretty good value for your money. Life is too short to worry about that. buy a car you like and you can afford and enjoy every minute of it.
I'm with you, but I also live in the real world where my pot of money is limited. The problem was I would've been buying a car that I knew I wouldn't be keeping long term so resale had to play a factor in the decision. Cool that BSO brought up the GT4 because the car I really want is the 718 Spyder. I had begun the 911/corvette hunt because I had been sold a bill of goods by my local dealers that as a 1st time customer I had very little chance of getting a car. I went to both local dealers today to introduce myself and do a bit of options shopping so if I get my lucky break I'd know which color combinations, seats, and stereo I'd want (don't listen to the Bermester unless you want to be separated from $4600 of your hard earned money, OMG that thing sounds incredible). One of the dealers gave me enough hope that I decided to hold off on picking a corvette or 911. I can wait until allocations come out and if I get one awesome and if not, those other cars will still be there. I'd have kicked myself if I bought a 6 figure consolation car (not that there's anything at all wrong with either, both incredible vehicles but not my top choice) and then found out that I'd received an allocation.

Anyway, appreciate all the replies.
sr5959 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

^^^ Good luck with getting a Spyder allocation!
Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Hope you can get a Spyder, that car will be epic!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM
gabbar
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
I had been sold a bill of goods by my local dealers that as a 1st time customer I had very little chance of getting a car.
Are you talking about the 718 Spyder ?

I don't see why this is the case for any other 911 or 718
Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Originally Posted by gabbar
Are you talking about the 718 Spyder ?

I don't see why this is the case for any other 911 or 718
Yes.

I don't blame them, they don't want to make a promise they can't keep and there are no allocations. Over in the 718 forum I saw one person who already paid $10k ADM to hold a car for him and another dealer demanding a $25k deposit and $25k ADM. At least the ATL dealers are just telling me to sit tight and not demanding ransom money like a few others! Anyway, sorry about the drift in the 991 forum, this follow-on discussion is misplaced.

EDIT: also, thanks to the well wishers! It would be an incredible entry into the world of Porsche cars to get one of these beauties!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Don't buy a Porsche because of expected resale value. These cars are an emotional experience and totally irrational. Stop thinking about it....

Quick Reply: "High Mileage" break point?