Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Any reason to take a CPO car to the dealer for an oil change? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1152625-any-reason-to-take-a-cpo-car-to-the-dealer-for-an-oil-change.html)

adcampo 07-16-2019 04:08 PM

Any reason to take a CPO car to the dealer for an oil change?

My 991.1. is due for just an oil change. I'm thinking of just going to my local guy and save a few bucks. Any upside in taking it to the dealer? Check for possible updates or recalls?

Capt_and 07-16-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by adcampo (Post 15977166)
My 991.1. is due for just an oil change. I'm thinking of just going to my local guy and save a few bucks. Any upside in taking it to the dealer? Check for possible updates or recalls?

The delta isn't enough for me to not take it to a dealer. The 20k mile service for my car at the dealer is $550. An indy is maybe $100 cheaper but there is definitely value upon resale in having the dealer do it. I either take my cars into the dealer or do it myself, depending on the vehicle.

saeyedoc 07-16-2019 04:34 PM

I do it so I can get a loaner car. I also find that servicing it there helps when there's problems later on.

MikeL31 07-16-2019 04:45 PM

i do it myself at home at 1/2 the interval recommended by porsche/gauge cluster. on my cayenne s, since new, it has zero dealer service history. ive taken it in 2-3 times only for warranty work. they have never tried to deny me work or give me any bs about it. ive yet to take my 991 in as nothing has broke on it yet. i could care less about having anything documented for the next buyer, my cars are better maintained than any of the cars out there that get serviced at the dealer. i even change the tires and balance my own wheels, unless its major warranty work, i dont want anyone touching my cars.

Porsche_nuts 07-16-2019 05:09 PM

For changing oil, do it yourself and save a bunch of money and bond with the car. It is easy.

As far as upside, the answer in NO.

saeyedoc 07-16-2019 05:48 PM

I'm also lazy and have no mechanical skills if that qualifies as a reason lol.

OliverK68 07-16-2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_and (Post 15977201)
... there is definitely value upon resale in having the dealer do it. ...

Since when?

Rich_Jenkins 07-16-2019 06:55 PM

Guess it depends on your situation and location.

On my Cayman, I was at the time living in a condo. I had sold all my tools (ugh!) and had committed to small space living. So, no DIY.

I did one oil change at a local indy, and one at the dealer.

My local Indy did the job for maybe 80% of the dealer price. I had to drop off and pick up the car. I believe he reset the service counter. I believe he used the correct oil and filter.

My dealer charged me, well, the dealer price. I dropped it off and picked it up that afternoon, so no real difference there. I was able to confirm they used the correct oil, and they use OEM parts. I got a PCA discount on the parts (oil and filter.) My tech wrote on the service log "Whoever changed the oil last time left a mess." (and I quote.) I also got a free inspection / printout. I grabbed a bottle of water at the drop off and some coffee the next morning. I also got to wander the showroom and make vroom vroom noises next to the 911s they had.

So all in all, of those two experiences, I would prefer the dealer by a comfortable margin.

titan7 07-16-2019 07:01 PM

No but the downside is you will spend about $2-300 more than what you can do it for and you have a chance of a little reminder of the visit in the form of a scratch, dent or some other charming take home surprise. Lol.

Porsche_nuts 07-16-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins (Post 15977549)
Guess it depends on your situation and location.

On my Cayman, I was at the time living in a condo. I had sold all my tools (ugh!) and had committed to small space living. So, no DIY.

I did one oil change at a local indy, and one at the dealer.

My local Indy did the job for maybe 80% of the dealer price. I had to drop off and pick up the car. I believe he reset the service counter. I believe he used the correct oil and filter.

My dealer charged me, well, the dealer price. I dropped it off and picked it up that afternoon, so no real difference there. I was able to confirm they used the correct oil, and they use OEM parts. I got a PCA discount on the parts (oil and filter.) My tech wrote on the service log "Whoever changed the oil last time left a mess." (and I quote.) I also got a free inspection / printout. I grabbed a bottle of water at the drop off and some coffee the next morning. I also got to wander the showroom and make vroom vroom noises next to the 911s they had.

So all in all, of those two experiences, I would prefer the dealer by a comfortable margin.

:thumbup: Classic :thumbup:

PacPaliPorsche 07-16-2019 07:17 PM

Nope, IMO. Waste of time and money.

*991* 07-16-2019 10:07 PM

For me if I am looking to buy a used car I find 2 very similar cars for sale. Car A has a detailed service history done at a Porsche dealer while Car B's owner says says he has done all the service himself and don't worry u can trust him. I would prefer to purchase Car A:thumbup:

jkfuel 07-16-2019 10:26 PM

Do whatever fits your schedule the best. I personally have it serviced at the dealer due to convenience and location (<3 miles away).

trucheli 07-17-2019 12:26 AM

20k miles service for $550? Please tell me the dealer and show me the quote. I move to your state!

basic666 07-17-2019 12:33 AM

Read my thread just a few posts below this. DON'T take it to a dealer