Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigar-power outlet retrofit

Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Cigar-power outlet retrofit

I just bought a 2017 Carrera S and the car came without the conventional power plug on the center console (so called "smokers option").

Does anyone know if the connections for the power outlet are on the wire harness anyway? I can easily buy the ashtray with the power outlet, but it is unknown if the wiring to connect the power plug is there or not. There appears to be two part numbers for the center console wire harness, so whether the difference is plug connections is not clear.

I don't smoke but I do need a power plug to run the remote display on my Valentine One.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Thumbs up

You need 2 parts to make 1 set (unfortunately the 991.2 details are not listed on Suncoast website for some reason), I recommend you drop an email to Suncoast as I don't know if you have a 991.1 or 991.2, regardless they have the right parts you need to retrofit this.

Part 1 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991ASHH.html

Part 2 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1ASHY.html

It's doable because my buddy retrofitted the smokers package onto his 991.2 GTS by the local Porsche dealer, he got all his parts supplied by Suncoast.

No major hassles. Just need to get the right parts.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not use the power plug that is located on the passenger side (left and under the glove compartment ) ?

Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Under the glove box or in the glove box .
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
Under the glove box or in the glove box .
Under... in the left wall of the passenger side
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default SP

On a .1 as they have said....
ashtray assembly
wiring harness ( not there ) then needs to be connected
Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Tbounds
Racer

I have a .1 new to me , I have found two 12volt cigarette lighter plug ins , one in glove box along with usb port and 1 under arm rest cover in center console. I don't have a smokers package. My question is so there is another plugin on the passenger side tunnel under glove box?
I know you ask just go look , but I am not close to storage .
thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
I have a .1 new to me , I have found two 12volt cigarette lighter plug ins , one in glove box along with usb port and 1 under arm rest cover in center console. I don't have a smokers package. My question is so there is another plugin on the passenger side tunnel under glove box?
I know you ask just go look , but I am not close to storage .
thanks
Yes there is an extra one there.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default thank you

thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I use my center console one for my CTEK and the passenger floor outlet for my dashcam. Handy to have more than one outlet. My wife uses the one in the center console to charger her cell phone, too.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I just bought a 2017 Carrera S and the car came without the conventional power plug on the center console (so called "smokers option").

Does anyone know if the connections for the power outlet are on the wire harness anyway? I can easily buy the ashtray with the power outlet, but it is unknown if the wiring to connect the power plug is there or not. There appears to be two part numbers for the center console wire harness, so whether the difference is plug connections is not clear.

I don't smoke but I do need a power plug to run the remote display on my Valentine One.
I added the smokers package two years ago on my coupe. Your 991 will not come equipped with the necessary harness to add power to the added ashtray. You need to purchase the harness from Porsche (991-612.757.01) plus the ashtray kit. Ensure you select the correct part number for your ashtray kit to match your interior color. The female connection for the ashtray and rear center console 12 VDC outlet is mounted directly under the Climate Control Box. You will need to remove the PCM, Climate Control Box, Center Console Trim, Support Frame, Center Button Tray and screws for the center arms rest since the rear power connector to the 12 VDC outlet must be detached to remove the old harness for the new upgrade harness. Here are a few pictures I took to document the “Smokers Package Upgrade.”

Diagram / Smokers Package Upgrade

Center Console / Exposing Harness for Smokers Package

Female - Male Connection For Smokers Package Under PCM/Climate Box

Harness Under Right Hand Side Under Climate Box

NonSmokers Harness Left - Smokers Harness Right
Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all who replied>

Firstly, the 991.1 is different than the 991.2. The "ashtray" part is the same part number for .1 as .2, but the wire harness is different. No cross between 991.1 and 991.2.

Suncoast has the harness and ash tray for the 991.1, but does NOT have the harness for the 991.2. As I said in the OP, there are two PNs for that 991.2 harness, so which one is correct?

In my car, there is only ONE power plug, in the footwell under the dash. There are only USB ports in the console storage compartment and in the glove box. No 12V power in either location.

And yes, I can run power from the footwell, but cannot use the combined remote display/power plug Valentine provides. You can separate the remote display, but then you are running a bunch of wires from the remote display to the detector to the power adapter.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (04-02-2024)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:48 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I added the smokers package two years ago on my coupe. Your 991 will not come equipped with the necessary harness to add power to the added ashtray. You need to purchase the harness from Porsche (991-612.757.01) plus the ashtray kit. Ensure you select the correct part number for your ashtray kit to match your interior color. The female connection for the ashtray and rear center console 12 VDC outlet is mounted directly under the Climate Control Box. You will need to remove the PCM, Climate Control Box, Center Console Trim, Support Frame, Center Button Tray and screws for the center arms rest since the rear power connector to the 12 VDC outlet must be detached to remove the old harness for the new upgrade harness. Here are a few pictures I took to document the “Smokers Package Upgrade.”

Diagram / Smokers Package Upgrade

Center Console / Exposing Harness for Smokers Package

Female - Male Connection For Smokers Package Under PCM/Climate Box

Harness Under Right Hand Side Under Climate Box

NonSmokers Harness Left - Smokers Harness Right

That harness part number is listed only for the 991.1. Did you you use it for your 991.2 anyway and did it function? Thanks for posting the detailed photos.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
That harness part number is listed only for the 991.1. Did you you use it for your 991.2 anyway and did it function? Thanks for posting the detailed photos.
On the 991.1. Sorry. The ashtray comes with a built-in LED so the connector has three wires terminated. As posted previously call Suncoast Parts and request to speak to Aldo. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:59 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
On the 991.1. Sorry. The ashtray comes with a built-in LED so the connector has three wires terminated. As posted previously call Suncoast Parts and request to speak to Aldo. Good luck.
Did that. Suncoast cannot help me, as they do not carry the later wire harness (they do have the ash tray), or cannot tell me which of the .2 harnesses has the smokers power plug option.

Confused by your ashtray comment. The ashtray is the same part for both the .1 and .2, so that cannot be the difference. I suspect there are other wiring functions that are different between the .1 and .2 that require different harness part numbers. I also suspect that maybe the connections for the power plug are in my existing harness, but I don't want to tear the car apart to find out I'm wrong. As I stated, the Porsche Service Manager told me he could not confirm if if the car has the hooks without taking the vehicle apart himself to check. Just hoping someone here would know with more certainty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cigar-power outlet retrofit