Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Xpel on headlights? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1151981-xpel-on-headlights.html)

Bob Z. 07-12-2019 08:52 PM

If I wanted mine done I would take them out and ship them to Moe so he could do them and send them back.

Jack F 07-12-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15969777)
I feel your pain...people search the Internet all the time but not here.

But since I am posting I might as well chime in. After reading the threads you realize there is a risk so it is up to you if you want it done; however, if the installer you feel most comfortable with does not recommend it and have them do it and something happens don't blame them.

I feel both your guys’ pain. What also happens is that people will partially read a post, think it’s the same thing that has been recently asked and get snarky about the whole thing. But in the end, they missed the point of the post. Like in this case, I was asking about a delamination issue DURING the install of the PPF on the headlights. Not upon REMOVAL. The delamination issue when removing PPF has been documented here and with careful steaming, it seems headlights come out ger early unscathed. I did not read any delamination issues in any previous posts DURING installation but was told by my installer that they had this occur. That’s why I asked here. That’s it, nothing more.

PCA1983 07-12-2019 11:34 PM

My last one was a 2015 C2S that PCNA owned for a year. It had Expel installed on the headlights when new in Match 2015. My dealer removed all the PPF and the stripped headlights were perfect when I traded that one for my new 2017 in June 2018. I had my new one PPF'd right away with the best new Suntek film last June, but had to skip doing the headlights, because...

My SA had warned me not to PPF the headlights on my new 2017, because of this issue. It seems contradictory to me, based on my 2015. I'd love to have my headlights PPF'd for road rash protection, but it's a 2017 and is now is 3 years since leaving the factory.
I'm concerned that 3 year old headlights might be higher risk of delamination, so am reluctant to get them PPF'd.

911Monte 07-12-2019 11:39 PM

I had it on my lights and lower led lights. I used a steamer and carefully stretched the ppf away at a low angle, not just pulling off. It came out fine, no issues. There are a few good videos on YouTube for removing correctly.

limegreen 07-12-2019 11:59 PM

I covered my headlights with zero regrets...

The headlights will take an absolute beating without being covered. I’ve recently seen the headlights on a 991 with 80k miles on it without any protection and was shocked at how dull and pitted they were.

Ive also heard that because the XPEL is UV resistant even if the headlights were to peel during removal it’s as simple and removing the remains of it on the lens and recovering with a fresh XPEL layer.

Gary JR 07-13-2019 08:13 AM

Absolutely PPF those $4000 headlights. Period. Full stop.

ClassJ 07-13-2019 08:23 AM

I originally skipped the light film based on this guidance but ended up getting them done after all. My Xpel installer said 10% fail right upon install. With that said, having just replaced headlights on another car due to chipping, there is 100% chance they will pit without film.

Mine came out fine so hopefully they stay that way.

Jack F 07-13-2019 10:55 AM

I agree that covering them seems like a no brainer and it doesn’t seem like there are issues of the delamination happening during the install at least based on the responses above. Thanks to all for chiming in.

DaveGee 07-13-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jack F (Post 15970024)
I feel both your guys’ pain. What also happens is that people will partially read a post, think it’s the same thing that has been recently asked and get snarky about the whole thing. But in the end, they missed the point of the post. Like in this case, I was asking about a delamination issue DURING the install of the PPF on the headlights. Not upon REMOVAL. The delamination issue when removing PPF has been documented here and with careful steaming, it seems headlights come out ger early unscathed. I did not read any delamination issues in any previous posts DURING installation but was told by my installer that they had this occur. That’s why I asked here. That’s it, nothing more.

Apologies for the snarkiness Jack, I don’t mean to be “that guy”. Glad that you got your question answered.

While I’ve got you, how do you feel about PDK -vs- manual tranny?

DaveGee

Jack F 07-13-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveGee (Post 15970783)
Apologies for the snarkiness Jack, I don’t mean to be “that guy”. Glad that you got your question answered.

DaveGee

I have owned many cars with MT. That was I learned to drive. 10 years ago, I would not have touched a 911 if it wasn’t MT. The current PDK is so very good in my opinion. I don’t drive in traffic and only 5 miles one way to work so it’s not that the MT would be a pain. The PDK is so very good. And at the Nurburgring the PDK was stellar. No way I could have rowed through the gears at the same rate. Some day I might own an older 911 and that would be fun to have with MT. Do you have PDK or MT?

digits 07-13-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by DaveGee (Post 15970783)

DaveGee

:roflmao::corn:

Anyway... OP: I’ve had both xpel, suntek, and 3m film applied to headlights on 4 different cars and they look fine - i don’t understand how delamination would happen during installation unless it’s some sort of chemical interaction - weird. I’m okay with rolling the dice on whether I’ll have an issue with delamination when it comes time to remove and replace the film. I drive plenty of miles so I think of it this way: it’s a high probabilty of damage now versus an unknown probability of damage later. I’ll take that deferred risk.

Jack F 07-13-2019 11:04 PM

Protecting the headlights is a must. They are just on pricey to replace when pitted to hell. Xpel has IV protection anyway so the factory UV protectipn is not key.

Originally Posted by digits (Post 15971614)
:roflmao::corn:

Anyway... OP: I’ve had both xpel, suntek, and 3m film applied to headlights on 4 different cars and they look fine - i don’t understand how delamination would happen during installation unless it’s some sort of chemical interaction - weird. I’m okay with rolling the dice on whether I’ll have an issue with delamination when it comes time to remove and replace the film. I drive plenty of miles so I think of it this way: it’s a high probabilty of damage now versus an unknown probability of damage later. I’ll take that deferred risk.

MoeMistry 07-14-2019 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jack F (Post 15969620)
The way that i understood it was that upon REMOVAL of the headlight PPF, that this delamination can occur. But the group doing the PPF install said it happened during the film install on a 2018 turbo headlight. Reading through the previous posts on this issue, it seems that this UV delamination can be sanded and the headlight brought back to a clear state and the PPF installed again. Sounds like a fairly cheap solution.

Dave, maybe you didn’t read the post fully or understand what I was asking. It was about delamination DURING the install process. I can see many 911 owners never removing the headlight PPF, so if it doesn’t happen DURING time of install, and you won’t remove it, then you very well might never have a problem.

If installer is skilled, non issue DURING installation.

MoeMistry 07-14-2019 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jack F (Post 15969516)
Hopefully Esoteric and Moe can chime in with their experience. Its confusing that this doesn’t happen all the time so I’m guessing film brand, technique and/or spray lubricant/activator play a role.

In our experience, Suntek is the most user friendly and consistent installation. XPEL would be next, and 3M is to follow assuming you get material that isn’t defective. 3M adhesive has been unpredictable for us, especially 60” roll, and we no longer use the material

usccharles 07-14-2019 08:46 AM

Except for my windshield, I have my entire car PPF-Ed. I still vividly remember my installer asking if I wanted the windshield also wrapped up and me declining.

After 2 years of fast driving enjoyment and multiple days at the track, my windshield will soon need to be replaced. It has chips all over the place. 911 is a magnet for crap to bash the front if owner is a spirited driver. The rest of the front of the car, including the headlights, are pristine except for chips and marks here and there on the PPF.

If I hadn’t PPF-ed the headlights, I would probably be in a situation the replace even the headlights when it came time to replace the windshield. So delamination or not, I think it is worth PPF-ing the headlights. I’ll take my chances if I ever need to redo my PPF but as of now the car is clean sans windshield.