Notices
Sponsored by:

Porsche c4s 991.2 start up engine smoke with Video

Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 AM
spdracerut
User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, traditionally high crankcase pressure on turbo cars can cause oil smoke. High crankcase pressure can prevent oil from draining from the turbo, so the oil gets pushed past the piston ring seals on the turbo shaft. The oil can go into both the exhaust and intake sides. Also, if you're air oil separator is busted, that's another source and that's connected to that compressor inlet tube on the passenger side turbo. So you're doing a few WOTs which creates a lot of crankcase pressure, the oil makes it's way into the intake side of things. There's lots of places for oil to pool on the intake side like the intercoolers, so the next time you crank up the car, lots of oil smoke burning off all that pooled oil in the IC pipes and intercooler.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Rapter
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Well, traditionally high crankcase pressure on turbo cars can cause oil smoke. High crankcase pressure can prevent oil from draining from the turbo, so the oil gets pushed past the piston ring seals on the turbo shaft. The oil can go into both the exhaust and intake sides. Also, if you're air oil separator is busted, that's another source and that's connected to that compressor inlet tube on the passenger side turbo. So you're doing a few WOTs which creates a lot of crankcase pressure, the oil makes it's way into the intake side of things. There's lots of places for oil to pool on the intake side like the intercoolers, so the next time you crank up the car, lots of oil smoke burning off all that pooled oil in the IC pipes and intercooler.
I recorded the oil level as being 50% and falling again, presumably because oil is once again being consumed.

I am going to perform some wot throttle events this morning on the way to the office and once parked will try to pull the oil filler cap off and see if there is big vacuum holding the cap down.

Hopefully this will help assist in the diagnosis of the oil separator for the dealer.

For my benefit and better knowledge, what should I be requesting from the dealer as preventative maintenance or other repairs related to all this engine oil being consumed?

New plugs?
Cleaning of the air intake system?
Cleaning if the inter oilers?
Can you clean the cats?

I plan to keep the car and don't want the oil residue to further other damage.

Beyond that, I must rely on the dealer for the rest.

I will update the thread later today.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Rapter
User

Originally Posted by Rapter
I recorded the oil level as being 50% and falling again, presumably because oil is once again being consumed.

I am going to perform some wot throttle events this morning on the way to the office and once parked will try to pull the oil filler cap off and see if there is big vacuum holding the cap down.

Hopefully this will help assist in the diagnosis of the oil separator for the dealer.

For my benefit and better knowledge, what should I be requesting from the dealer as preventative maintenance or other repairs related to all this engine oil being consumed?

New plugs?
Cleaning of the air intake system?
Cleaning if the inter oilers?
Can you clean the cats?

I plan to keep the car and don't want the oil residue to further other damage.

Beyond that, I must rely on the dealer for the rest.

I will update the thread later today.
Oil filler cap was tougher to remove following wot pills than when cold started in the morning.

Oil level has fall as well...
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2019, 02:05 PM
spdracerut
User

Honestly, with your level of oil burn, I think the piston rings may be shot leading to the excessive crank case pressure. In my opinion, it's outside the norm. I think they need to do a crank case pressure check and cylinder leak down check. There's a slight chance your turbos are shot, so they need to check the shaft play. If the bearings on your turbos were excessively worn, you would also get excessive oil burn because the turbo shafts would have excessive play and generate more clearance for the oil to get by. But considering your level of burn, I think the turbos would have self destructed by now.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Rapter
User

Originally Posted by spdracerut View Post
Honestly, with your level of oil burn, I think the piston rings may be shot leading to the excessive crank case pressure. In my opinion, it's outside the norm. I think they need to do a crank case pressure check and cylinder leak down check. There's a slight chance your turbos are shot, so they need to check the shaft play. If the bearings on your turbos were excessively worn, you would also get excessive oil burn because the turbo shafts would have excessive play and generate more clearance for the oil to get by. But considering your level of burn, I think the turbos would have self destructed by now.
Car is currently in for an air/ oil separator replacement.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:51 PM
spdracerut
User

I would ask for a cylinder leak down check too. I saw Vektor Performance was testing an auxiliary air oil separator. Don't know how far along in development they are.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:55 PM
spdracerut
User

Any update?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Rapter
User

Originally Posted by spdracerut View Post
Any update?
Hey! Thanks for following up.

The car car went in last week Thursday to star the process of replacing the air/ oil separator, upon further review the techs discovered the issue to be the check valve for the supply/ return lines to the turbos. No longer is the cause to the engine smoke the a/o separator.

There was also signs oil in the clear vacuum lines behind the air filter box.

The supply/ return oil lines to the turbos have recently been updated and parts only arrived today. Repair should start tomorrow or monday.

...update to follow next week.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Gh0st0
User

Nice, sounds like unique issue for sure
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 AM
VektorPerformance

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a PCV system issue for sure. If the backflow valve in the passenger side intake, internal OEM Air Oil Separator, or manifold check (PCV) valve are faulty or intermittently faulty ,then it can suck oil into your engine depending on load/conditions. These kinds of issues are often difficult to pinpoint and more often misdiagnosed as turbo seals or overfilling.

If you start to remove intake tract part, you will be able to diagnose where exactly the oil is coming from. I would be surprised if it were engine internals unless a LOT of oil was ingested, the car is VERY modified, or there's a bad tune/gas being used. I suppose there is always the option of a oil retaining ring put in incorrectly at the factory, which can also cause odd smoking issues, but that is extremely rare.

http://www.vektorperformance.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: