Sponsored by:

*new* 2018 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 PM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *new* 2018 Carrera T

Hi guys, new to this forum and a current 07 base Cayman owner. Just visited by local Porsche dealer and drove a leftover 2018 NEW 911 carrera T, white with manual transmission, sticker 116K. They are offering it for 106K, but I expect a bigger discount since it is now a 2 year old car as soon as I take it off the lot. My friend said I can expect 10% off per year, so 20% (!) off on this car. Surprised a manual transmission is left over, but the guy at the dealership let slip that manuals are not moving (he changed his tune later during negotiations, LOL, "manual transmission car will sell quickly." Thoughts? Thank you!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

T has been out a while. anybody who wants one, got one. Manuals might be all the rage on forums but in real life PDKs sell more.

You can aim for 20% off but I think you will be lucky to get it. Yes, it is going on two years but still has no miles on it. Ask for the world, but you need to decide what the car is worth to you...i.e. do you really want that spec. I would aim for 15% off and try to get CPO thrown in. Remember, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Some people are good at negotiating, others, not so much.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Make sure you ask them if the warranty was punched yet. Some dealers will punch the warranty on a car held for awhile (dealership sales #’s trickery) and when you purchase the car as new, you end up with a year or so less warranty than if the warranty were never punched early.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I’m in a similar situation. Would like to add a 718 Cayman GTS to the “stable”. Dealer near me has one for about $97K MSRP, offering it for $83K. If I decide to get one, I may try to see if they will sell it for $79,000. It has almost 70 miles, so it’s been used for demos.

I need to ask about the warranty also. I’ll decide at the end of the month. I’ve heard that’s a good time to negotiate....who knows.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 218 Posts

As a barometer I got 10.5% off my new 2019 Carrera T in Dec-2018 with a $124k MSRP. I would want 15% to pull the trigger on a leftover 2018. 18-20 would be ideal.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Default Carrera T

Semitone: Thank you for your quick and very insightful reply. I do not understand about the CPO, it’s a new car. Does that mean I get additional warrantee or something?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 218 Posts

For the CPO, they add-on additional warranty time and mileage limits. If the 2018 car is still new (meaning that the dealer did not punch or report to PORSCHE) that the car’s warranty should start, you would then enjoy the original new car warranty from the date of your delivery. If they played a game and for example reported the sale of this car in December-2018, then six months of the factory warranty will have expired.

I would:

a. Confirm that the full factory warranty will start when you take delivery and
b. Negotiate the strongest discount you can. For me 15% would be the lowest I would accept and would press for 18-20.

Good luck, the Carrera T is an amazing 911.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 AM
IEdreamer
AutoX

Default Thank you!

Wow, thank you guys so much for the information, this is an incredible forum with really knowledgeable and very dedicated posters. You guys are great! What did we do before the Internet and these forums?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IEdreamer
Wow, thank you guys so much for the information, this is an incredible forum with really knowledgeable and very dedicated posters. You guys are great! What did we do before the Internet and these forums?
We were hosed more often by dealerships!

but for you and the member interested in the Cayman, for leftovers I’d aim for 20% at minimum considering the new generations are being released/have been released. If this was just another year of the same model, I’d understand 20% not being feasible, but in this case it should be.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by Paliknight
We were hosed more often by dealerships!

but for you and the member interested in the Cayman, for leftovers I’d aim for 20% at minimum considering the new generations are being released/have been released. If this was just another year of the same model, I’d understand 20% not being feasible, but in this case it should be.
I was originally thinking to ask for 17-18% off MSRP, but I agree, why not 20%. It’s a depreciating asset. The 718 is not due for any changes in the near future, but the dealer has plenty of 2019s in stock. I think many are dealer ordered with options people don’t necessarily want. I’m eyeing a Chalk with Alcantara (rather have leather) and the other 2018 is Black and Alcantara interior. Both are PDKs, which would provide a different experience from my manual 911.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Agree, shoot for 20% - it's quite reasonable to be at or around that mark.

Be aware of the warranty punch issue.

MT accounts for about 1 in 10 911's sold so they are 'rare' or 'nobody wants them' depending on your point of view :-)

Don't forget if it is really 2 years old it will need service and a brake flush on the dealers dime. Even if it is not due it must be close - make sure you negotiate it in.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

On day 1, one could get a bigger discount on the 718 GTS than a 911T. Maybe 4 or 5% difference off MSRP. I don't know if that difference still holds for a floor model that has been sitting around for 18 months but I would still think the discount on a 718 is a bit bigger than that of a 911. Maybe there are too many other factors at play besides the models at this point. There are also a number of variables that you will never know that are dealer specific. i.e. Some dealers may be more motivated than others. Unfortunately you will never know until the salesman says "Great, We have a deal".

You can always offer more but pretty tough to backtrack without being a total jerk, I find, I always go into the dealership with a "plan" but sometimes the emotions just take over and next thing I know...
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Discount levels depend heavily on the dealership. A few years ago, I considered buying a "leftover" new 991.1 C4S Cabriolet before I bought my TTS. It was in a very similar situation as the Carrera T that you describe; it would have essentially been two years old as soon as I drove it off the lot. Porsche Bellevue wouldn't budge on the price; they wanted to sell the car at or near sticker. Needless to say, I moved on and bought my Porsche at another dealership.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

20% is unlikely - the dealer may prefer to let the car sit and wait for a less informed buyer to come along - and meanwhile they have a nice demo car on the lot. The warranty is probably already ticking away and maybe there's < 3 years left on it? That's your best negotiating tactic and you can easily get 10% - more than that doesn't look good on paper for them and it's much harder to close the deal - but not impossible, shoot for 20% and accept 15%. Try to get a warranty extension to make up the difference.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

IMO it depends on the dealership, and their current inventory of cars. I think 10% you can get for sure, but don't assume for a second the dealer ''has'' to sell the car. it's a business for them and they can decide to keep the car as a demo or amortize it over time, declare a loss on it etc... basically they are not playing by the same rules an individual is playing. Furthermore porsche doesn't sell cars the same way VW or Toyota does when by September they liquidate everything is stock for the new models. If the car's warranty hasn't been touched yet an 18 or 19 makes little difference. in your situation I would be happy with 10% if the car's warranty has not been activated yet. if you can negotiate more , well that's good. Maybe ask for extended warranty or parts at a rebate etc...

Quick Reply: *new* 2018 Carrera T