Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for collision repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Another factor in DV coverage at this level ($20k or more) is the damage/coverage limit on the insurance policy of the fellow who hit you. A friend's R8 was hit and the insurance company for the party at fault said here's the maximum the at fault party's policy allows for DV - i.e., $25k. That's it, all we will pay. And they did, no argument.

Last edited by SKM; 06-15-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 126 Posts

That sounds like an exceptionally small amount of liability coverage, hopefully that’s not what I’m dealing with, it wouldn’t cover many accidents for sure. If that was the case I’d revert to my own insurance coverage which has higher capacity.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

But your company will not pay for DV. Discuss with your insurance agent which part of the at fault party's coverage pays for DV.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Clearly you have a very good attitude about this, so good on your for that.

As far as repairs, yes, go to a Porsche certified shop, or if there is not one close to you, somewhere that does high end cars, and that many people refer you to. Definitely go after diminished value. I am guessing $10k+ for that sort of a repair.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default lawyer

I would let the lawyer handle it for a fixed fee. My personal estimate would be a 50% loss of value due to no one wanting the car following repair. I had a honda tgat should have been totalled and took it back to dealer following the repair after the suspension fell off. Denied. Dump it to Carmax immediatly following repair.

Originally Posted by Hp12c
Thank you!

This is a really good example I can use if I have to do a DVC: a car w probably less damage than mine, that very clearly was repaired to the highest standard by a HQ shop and a seemingly particular owner, that has a very easily measurable inherent diminished value (Once I find similar “clean” cars w/ 4,000 miles and their depreciation). Please tell me if you guys have other sale examples as perfect as his one.

Still waiting on the assessment from the body shop btw, excited/anxious to hear what they find.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Default Closing the loop...

So wanted to thank the rennlist forum for help on this, someone recommended a really, really good Porsche certified collision repair shop that I used, Cavallo’s in Philadelphia, and they took their time and did everything right.

Ultimately the car needed a quarter panel, an outer wheel housing, bumper cover, wheel/tire, taillight, and some plumbing this and that which were located in the corner, plus the rear windows apparently don’t go back in once removed, so new rear glass.

Took about 3 months, with the first being insurance this and that, waiting for parts, etc, and then 2 solid months of work.

Communication w Steve, the service manager at Cavallo’s was exceptional, but the gentlemen that worked on the repairs and paint, each were craftsman/artists that I was also really impressed by.

I am currently working on getting a DV claim completed with the other driver’s insurance company. They offered about 13%, where I was thinking a much higher (20-25%) impact to value could exist, so I’m working on gathering some appraisals, which they were open to considering.

I wouldn’t completely rule out selling the car and starting over with a clean-Carfax car, but the car is an amazing spec for my tastes (white/blue is a color I love, 7mt, sport+premium packages plus my fave wheels), it drives amazing, and I could see owning/enjoying it for many, many years.

heres some pictures, notice a slight change I made...

Old 09-28-2019, 11:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Nice debadging.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

CJ and the team at Cavallos are the best. They have 2 shops. I do all my work at the shop in West Chester. Have treated me and my car always with respect and care.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 PM
dodge
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will 100% be totaled if you file a standard claim. Changing the quarter panel is a huge job and means having to remove all of the interior, the top of the car, the rear glass, bumper, spoiler, etc etc. Very expensive. Doesn't matter that it's "wrinkled" under the window either, you'll need to change the entire panel. I get shop pricing through Porsche and it was still >$2,000. You'll also need to take out the entire console and part of the dash to remove the SRS main unit. I just bought a wrecked 2016 Black Edition from an insurance auction and am in the middle of replacing the quarter panel.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Originally Posted by dodge
It will 100% be totaled if you file a standard claim. Changing the quarter panel is a huge job and means having to remove all of the interior, the top of the car, the rear glass, bumper, spoiler, etc etc. Very expensive. Doesn't matter that it's "wrinkled" under the window either, you'll need to change the entire panel. I get shop pricing through Porsche and it was still >$2,000. You'll also need to take out the entire console and part of the dash to remove the SRS main unit. I just bought a wrecked 2016 Black Edition from an insurance auction and am in the middle of replacing the quarter panel.
I think it sounds like you had a different type of accident than mine, but good luck with your car!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:31 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
I wouldn’t completely rule out selling the car and starting over with a clean-Carfax car, but the car is an amazing spec for my tastes (white/blue is a color I love, 7mt, sport+premium packages plus my fave wheels), it drives amazing, and I could see owning/enjoying it for many, many years.
If it still drives amazing why part with it? You've been through a lot together. Get some DV money and be happy.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Surprised they didn't total it. Damage looked bad and they ended up spending a lot of time fixing it.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Originally Posted by minthral
Surprised they didn't total it. Damage looked bad and they ended up spending a lot of time fixing it.
You know, I was hoping for that initially, but it’s all about math, and ultimately different insurance companies probably have a different style about how much damage it takes to do something like that.

I certainly did everything i could to make clear they were going to have an expensive repair on their hands (35k in repairs, couple grand in towing/rental, DV as yet not agreed but 4-figure), the math seems to support a ‘totaling’ making sense given residual values for salvage cars like these, but the math was very borderline, and not everything is crystal clear when they make their decision.

on the other hand, I enjoy watching people repair salvaged cars on YouTube, and I’ve never seen a car that was as lightly damaged as mine found in a salvage auction.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:56 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Originally Posted by box
If it still drives amazing why part with it? You've been through a lot together. Get some DV money and be happy.
I agree, that’s what’s going to happen I’m guessing.

Quick Reply: Tips for collision repair?