Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Any options 991.2 owners regret not getting? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1147312-any-options-991-2-owners-regret-not-getting.html)

Truble10 06-11-2019 12:02 PM

Any options 991.2 owners regret not getting?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 991.2 base that has very few options. I've gone back and forth between a more loaded 991.1S or GTS and I've decided I prefer the .2's. Please no comments about vacuums or NA. I understand the differences and made the best choice for me and my driving.

My question is around .2 options.

The base I'm looking at has: PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, Sport seats (4 way) and 20" wheels. No leather, no heated or cooled seats no Bose and no go keyless go.

I love the color, it has 1.5 years on factory warranty plus two more years of CPO, prepaid maintenance and it's a solid price.

It is a minimalist car and I understand that. Any options you truly regret not getting on a .2? I know resale could suffer but I'm okay with that.

AnandN 06-11-2019 12:24 PM

Everyone is different so if you like the specific set of options and the colors, I would go for it. Personally, I couldn't live with the 4-way seats.

I ordered a 2018 manual C4S with about 20k of options. If I go back now to the configurator and build a C4S, I end up with basically the same car. My car has full leather, 18-way heated seats (part of premium package), glass sunroof, sport chrono, Bose (essentials for me) and some other options I could easily do without.

Keadog 06-11-2019 12:28 PM

I'm a bit at the opposite end on options, but I ordered my '17 Targa without lane change assist and added it on my '19 C4 cab. I didn't realize it's in the A pillar (and not the mirror like my S class), so it's very easy to notice and works quite well.
You may not miss vent seats, but I bet if you had them you might like them very much. At least I do and I don't live in Arizona.
I wouldn't pay extra for 20" wheels on the base, but I assume you're looking at a car already built? I went from 20s on the Targa to 19s on the cab and prefer them. I'll put the savings toward a set of winter tires and wheels in the Fall.

polobai 06-11-2019 12:52 PM

For me it was the multifunction steering wheel...I was able to add it afterwards but it was not the easiest or cheapest thing to do.

Hurricane 06-11-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Truble10 (Post 15900404)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 991.2 base that has very few options. I've gone back and forth between a more loaded 991.1S or GTS and I've decided I prefer the .2's. Please no comments about vacuums or NA. I understand the differences and made the best choice for me and my driving.

My question is around .2 options.

The base I'm looking at has: PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, Sport seats (4 way) and 20" wheels. No leather, no heated or cooled seats no Bose and no go keyless go.

I love the color, it has 1.5 years on factory warranty plus two more years of CPO, prepaid maintenance and it's a solid price.

It is a minimalist car and I understand that. Any options you truly regret not getting on a .2? I know resale could suffer but I'm okay with that.

I went a little overboard on the options so no regrets about not getting any - I spec'ed my car exactly as I wanted it.

That being said, there is something oddly attractive about a low-optioned 911. You won't take a bath on resale on the options. It's such a great car to drive that you probably won't miss much. The base now has a lot of power and torque. If you can live with the base stereo, you will be fine. As for the 4 way seats - they are light, which is always nice. Some people spec a car w/o a sunroof - lower weight, stiffer (maybe to some extent). Your car has 20" wheels, very nice, and the sports exhaust and sport chrono, very nice.

I love heated seats in the cold - that would be a hard one to give up. But otherwise, if you can live with that, it sounds like a cool car, especially if you love the color!

V999 06-11-2019 02:04 PM

By Porsche standards, my 991.2 GTS was low-optioned (only a little over 20K in options, mostly performance-oriented, some comfort-oriented, a couple inexpensive style options). I started out even lower spec'd, but after lots of inner debate, my final build spec wound up being exactly what I wanted with no compromises. I figured that, for a car in that price range, I might as well get exactly what I wanted. I have zero regrets.

But like Hurricane said above, there is something very alluring about a very low-optioned 911. I'd like to eventually get a GT3 or 3RS and, for that car, I'd get the front-axle lift, extended range fuel tank, and very little else. Wouldn't need any comfort options for that model. Definitely wouldn't need any bling.

Because it's all about the driving.

Jack F 06-11-2019 02:09 PM

What is the price point you need to be at? Or need to be at?

Truble10 06-11-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jack F (Post 15900726)
What is the price point you need to be at? Or need to be at?

The car is priced at $77K. This is about as much as I prefer to spend on a car that I'll put 5K or less a year on.

Will not be my daily driver so comfort features are not as important. It also has sunroof delete which for me is huge plus. I can spend more but don't feel like I need to. An S would be great but I guess I'm cheap and don't see the value for me in spending another $15-20K to get a used S. I'm coming from a 997.1 C4S so this will have considerably more power and will be more comfortable to drive. Plus after 5 left knee surgeries I'm over driving a manual. Had a PDK in my Panamera and loved it.

I realize this is a personal question and only I can define the best car for me. Just looking for opinions.

Cooled seats and keyless go are the only options I think I will miss and I can put a key in old school style and have swamp butt on occasion. The interior is black but car will never sit outside for long periods of time. Always something to give up buying used. But it's nice to save nearly $30K on a car with less than 20,000 miles and 3.5 year of warranty.

BSO 06-11-2019 02:34 PM

When I was researching my 991.2 purchase, I looked around for one that was close to what I wanted, both new and used.

As this was going to be a real personal choice, no vehicles really came close, and my desire for a 7M made it impossible to find the right vehicle.

I ended up ordering one to my specs. I would have liked a different color leather interior but there were some forced choices with that option that I wouldn't accept.

It boils down to budget and what you want and don't want. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, I wouldn't concern myself about resale value.

The 4-way seats would be an issue, I got the 14-way and they're fine. If you find the 4-way comfortable, then no problem.

However, the only way you really find if a seat fits and feels good is to drive on them for hours.

Good luck.

arter 06-11-2019 02:36 PM

I have the vented seats ( 4 ways) and I really like this option, especially if you do longer drives.

LexVan 06-11-2019 02:36 PM

3 words:

Leather
Fuse box
Cover

Ok, maybe 4.:)

Fbrooksr 06-11-2019 03:34 PM

Regrettable Leave-offs

When I sold my '12 Targa 4, I knew I wanted one thing that was missing in it...more power! It was a great car and I really liked the easy mod capability. It was raw! Fun.

When I began my search in earnest for the replacement, I knew I wanted at least a 4S. When I found this one, it had 600 miles on it, was fully tricked out including full leather, but I didn't take the immediate depreciation hit in buying new and as this one was "used" though only slightly. I don't regret the purchase or the add-ons. I knew I wasn't going to track a Targa so weight wasn't an issue. My favorite things I would miss:
  • power of an "S"
  • RAS
  • Lane change assist
  • Vented seats
I have no issue with the Bose Surround sound that others do. I knew I was staying with a "4". The style of a Targa is timeless and functional. The futuristic hiding of the targa top allows for far better rear view with the top "down" than the 997.2.

What I do miss:
  • I can't see the bloody engine, though it is rumored to be there. I do hear something there!
  • Manually shifting. I grew up with it so it is very natural for me. The PDK is awesome and I have no complaints with it. I do find myself reaching for the clutch at a stoplight. But my knee as barking at me.
  • Though technologically far superior and more sophisticated, I miss the lines of the 997 over the 991.2. It is just a sharper looking car, though certainly less roomy for my wife and me.
What I wouldn't miss:
  • The auto stop-start which I wish was optionally able to be permanently disabled.
These are all great cars, and depending upon your pocketbook, plans for use, and believing you presently understand your wants/needs... there's always the next one! Enjoy yours. You are a member of a very lucky few.

Truble10 06-11-2019 04:04 PM

Decided to go for it:

https://images.autotrader.com/border...aa29e31271.jpg

https://images.autotrader.com/border...1660d424f1.jpg

miker2019 06-11-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Truble10 (Post 15901024)

congrats u will love it

DerekS 06-11-2019 04:07 PM

Options I've regretted not having on prior Porsches:

- S model
- Sport Chrono Pack
- Sport Exhaust
- Heated/Ventilated Seats

Fortunately my current car has them all. I am gruntled.