Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 GTS Sharkwerks exhaust (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1147288-991-2-gts-sharkwerks-exhaust.html)

head1 06-11-2019 05:59 AM

991.2 GTS Sharkwerks exhaust

Hi!!

I´m super happy about my 991.2 GTS, I´ve had it since new april 2018. Now I´m thinking of upgrading the exhaust to the Sharkwerks exhaust.

Has anyone heard and installed this? How does it sound? Is it worth it?

/M, Sweden

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a71c823ce6.jpg

JT_ 06-11-2019 10:56 AM

Just installed the Sharkwerks exhaust on my 2017 4S a week ago and I can't complain, love it. In normal mode, it's much louder compared to stock, but I never drove in normal mode to begin with. No burbles, which is good when entering a quiet neighborhood or to avoid unnecessary attention.

Sport mode, the burbles / popcorn is much more noticeable. Some people find there's a bit of drone effect around 2200-2600 RPM - It is louder, but I have no complaints, neither do my wife or my daughters. I was riding with a few friends over the weekend (997 C4S + 991.1 GT3RS) and they said the car sounds amazing, which was very flattering I must admit.

I will be driving the car on the track in a couple of weeks, there's a 92dB restriction, I'm not concerned, I highly doubt I'll get black flagged.

I won't lie, it's a lot of money, but I have no ragrets.

TL;DR - Do it.

Hurricane 06-11-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by head1 (Post 15899896)
Hi!!

I´m super happy about my 991.2 GTS, I´ve had it since new april 2018. Now I´m thinking of upgrading the exhaust to the Sharkwerks exhaust.

Has anyone heard and installed this? How does it sound? Is it worth it?

/M, Sweden

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a71c823ce6.jpg

I am going to hijack this thread and tell you that your car looks awesome. Great photo - love the aircraft in the background! Very cool! :to_order::rockon:

zunayed 06-11-2019 03:52 PM

Installing the Sharkwerks tomorrow on my T. Granted, I have sport cats so the change in sound won't be exactly the same but I think it'll be pretty informative nonetheless. Will post initial impressions after the installation.

P.S: My T is also GR like yours! :cheers:

thesaintusa 06-11-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 15900646)
I am going to hijack this thread and tell you that your car looks awesome. Great photo - love the aircraft in the background! Very cool! :to_order::rockon:

That isn't a plane in the background.

That is the new GT5-RSS super wing high mount kit for the 911.

head1 06-12-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by JT_ (Post 15900242)
Just installed the Sharkwerks exhaust on my 2017 4S a week ago and I can't complain, love it. In normal mode, it's much louder compared to stock, but I never drove in normal mode to begin with. No burbles, which is good when entering a quiet neighborhood or to avoid unnecessary attention.

Sport mode, the burbles / popcorn is much more noticeable. Some people find there's a bit of drone effect around 2200-2600 RPM - It is louder, but I have no complaints, neither do my wife or my daughters. I was riding with a few friends over the weekend (997 C4S + 991.1 GT3RS) and they said the car sounds amazing, which was very flattering I must admit.

I will be driving the car on the track in a couple of weeks, there's a 92dB restriction, I'm not concerned, I highly doubt I'll get black flagged.

I won't lie, it's a lot of money, but I have no ragrets.

TL;DR - Do it.

Thanks for your reply!! I will order it this week, if a GT3 RS owner thinks it sounds amazing then it should be good!!!

Did you install it yourself?

head1 06-12-2019 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by zunayed (Post 15901006)
Installing the Sharkwerks tomorrow on my T. Granted, I have sport cats so the change in sound won't be exactly the same but I think it'll be pretty informative nonetheless. Will post initial impressions after the installation.

P.S: My T is also GR like yours! :cheers:

Cool!! Let us know what your first impressions are!!!

head1 06-12-2019 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 15900646)

Thanks!!! It´s a Swedish Saab SK60. Used to train our fighter pilots since many years. This is the first aircraft they will fly ever. I think Sweden is one of very few countries that the pilots fly jets as their first airplane. It´s been in service since 1967 with some upgrades during the years.

JT_ 06-12-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by head1 (Post 15902244)
Thanks for your reply!! I will order it this week, if a GT3 RS owner thinks it sounds amazing then it should be good!!!

Did you install it yourself?

Had it installed by a friend who also happens to be my mechanic. It's not all that difficult to be honest, but time was playing against me, so I had it done. I believe it took about three hours.

zunayed 06-12-2019 07:30 PM

Okay first impressions time. Didn’t manage to open her up because I just collected the car after work and had to deal with rush hour. Impressions based on 1 hour drive in stop and go traffic:

1. Sounds great on startup. There’s a nice deep rumble while stationary.
2. Sounds great in the higher RPMs (above 3.2k) from the few times I managed to actually floor it.
3. PSE off is much louder than before install. Maybe a bit too loud. We’ll see.
4. Overwhelming drone on Sport mode between 2k- 3.2k. It kept resonating in my ear and started to become quite painful. This is regardless of PSE on or off.
5.Normal and Sport+ are much better with tolerable drone between 2k-3.2k. Not gone, just acceptable enough for me.

I’ll get out again in a bit when there’s less traffic and re-evaluate. Based on first impressions, I don’t think the Sport Cats and Sharkwerk exhaust play well together.

Psorcery 06-12-2019 07:34 PM

Why this exhaust? I think it's junk and a waste of time, money, and effort.

Would you consider it if it was called DolphinWorks?

zunayed 06-12-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Psorcery (Post 15903698)
Why this exhaust? I think it's junk and a waste of time, money, and effort.

Would you consider it if it was called DolphinWorks?

Maybe, maybe not. But regardless of how it is, we all know you have a vendetta against aftermarket exhausts.

I haven’t thrown away my Porsche muffler, if I find that the SW exhaust isn’t for me I’ll sell it and be done. And other people will read the reviews and make a decision for themselves. However, you’re not going to dissuade anyone from buying the product by calling it “junk” or “DolphonWorks”. Maybe try articulating why you think it’s “junk”, contrary to most others on Rennlist who like it? Currently, you’re not providing value to the topic, just wasting your time.

Psorcery 06-12-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by zunayed (Post 15903729)
Maybe, maybe not. But regardless of how it is, we all know you have a vendetta against aftermarket exhausts.

I haven’t thrown away my Porsche muffler, if I find that the SW exhaust isn’t for me I’ll sell it and be done. And other people will read the reviews and make a decision for themselves. However, you’re not going to dissuade anyone from buying the product by calling it “junk” or “DolphonWorks”. Maybe try articulating why you think it’s “junk”, contrary to most others on Rennlist who like it? Currently, you’re not providing value to the topic, just wasting your time.

I have a vendetta against PSE replacement X PIPES only. That's what the cheap-o JAWZ exhaust is. Drone in a $100-$170k+ car, let alone any car.. Are you kidding? You don't see me bashing Kline or Akra do you?

Putting this X pipe on your car is such a backwards step when the money can be put towards high flow cats or bypass pipes which nets you incredible sound AND big gains without drone.

I think there's an emotion felt behind the name Sharkwerks.. So aggressive, and unique. It sounds better than "I've got an AWE muffler".

///M3THOD 06-12-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by zunayed (Post 15903729)

People will find the benefits and justify what they spend money on. Its just a fact.

I think the point trying to be made here is that modifying the exhaust cat back on a PSE equipped car isn't providing any real performance benefit whatsoever. Money can be better spent, while achieving the same goal, by replacing the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

Im not going to say anything regarding the quality or design of the piece, but your removing all exhaust resonating material and essentially straight piping your car from the cat back. Tubi makes the exact same exhaust but charges 4.7k! Generally when people end up straight piping their car the results don't exactly meet up with expectations.

basic666 06-12-2019 09:13 PM

good review zunayed, the droning does sound concerning