Notices
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Sharkwerks exhaust

Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 PM
zunayed
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay so I put in some more seat time and here's my updated impressions:

1. The crazy droning happens only in Sport mode, from 2k-3k RPMs. On Sport+, there's very, very slight drone which doesn't bother at all. On Normal, there's some drone but it's definitely tolerable.
2. Car sounds fantastic north of 3k RPM in all modes. Like, crazy good. Trying to be subjective but I'm honestly impressed. On Sport, the burbles sound stronger, and Sport+ sounds fantastic all throughout.
3. The PSE button almost doesn't make a difference in noise levels.

Now, I have some interesting observations. When I got my car, I thought Sport+ sounded much better than Sport and used it regularly. When I installed the SOUL Cats, I noticed that Sport sounded a lot better than it used to. It was deeper, more full-bodied and more guttural. The burbles sounded much more authentic. There was also slight droning between 2k-3k RPMs. Sport+, on the other hand, felt underwhelming but did not have this drone. I believe Soul prioritized on improving the Sport mode experience and did their best to add character to the sound. The light drone was a minor compromise.
Now with the Cats+SW, I believe there is a compounding effect making the drone on Sport mode horrible. Since there was no drone in Sport+ mode with the Cats in my car, there's very little with now Cats+SW.

I'm pretty sure those without Sport Cats will have a very different experience from me.

TL;DR: Don't install SW Exhaust together with SOUL Sport Cats.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 PM
basic666
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how would you rate the effect on sound, going from stock to sport cats, and then going from sport cats to with the exhaust? Which made bigger difference and by how much?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 PM
zunayed
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the sports cats improved the sound quality, esp in Sport mode, much more than the volume. The exhaust noise became deeper and burbles sounded better. The improvement is definitely more focused on the lower end of the RPM range imo, and there were less improvements in the higher RPMs. But the higher RPMS sounded more like the 991.1 I think? With PSE on, the volume increased from a 4/10 to 5/10 on the inside, and maybe a max of 6/10 on the outside. With it off, it went from a 1/10 to 2/10.

The exhaust definitely has a greater overall effect. Everything sounds much louder than before and It seems to bring out the higher end better (together with cats). The low end of the RPM range in Sport mode is excessively loud (vol. 11/10 ), but not so in Sport+ (7/10). Sport and Sport+ both sound similar above 3k RPMs (save for the burbles) and both sound really good (vol. 8/10). How much of this is from just the exhaust, I couldn't tell you. Honestly, if there was no droning and there was a decrease in volume below 3k, I would've been extremely pleased with the product.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by zunayed View Post
Okay so I put in some more seat time and here's my updated impressions:

1. The crazy droning happens only in Sport mode, from 2k-3k RPMs. On Sport+, there's very, very slight drone which doesn't bother at all. On Normal, there's some drone but it's definitely tolerable.
2. Car sounds fantastic north of 3k RPM in all modes. Like, crazy good. Trying to be subjective but I'm honestly impressed. On Sport, the burbles sound stronger, and Sport+ sounds fantastic all throughout.
3. The PSE button almost doesn't make a difference in noise levels.

Now, I have some interesting observations. When I got my car, I thought Sport+ sounded much better than Sport and used it regularly. When I installed the SOUL Cats, I noticed that Sport sounded a lot better than it used to. It was deeper, more full-bodied and more guttural. The burbles sounded much more authentic. There was also slight droning between 2k-3k RPMs. Sport+, on the other hand, felt underwhelming but did not have this drone. I believe Soul prioritized on improving the Sport mode experience and did their best to add character to the sound. The light drone was a minor compromise.
Now with the Cats+SW, I believe there is a compounding effect making the drone on Sport mode horrible. Since there was no drone in Sport+ mode with the Cats in my car, there's very little with now Cats+SW.

I'm pretty sure those without Sport Cats will have a very different experience from me.

TL;DR: Don't install SW Exhaust together with SOUL Sport Cats.
hey zunayed, agree whole-heartedly. As Dan said on the other thread when ordering we recommend doing one or the other of those kinds of systems and it'll probably be really loud - maybe trying one vs the other because they were designed independently etc... Unless you want a super-aggressive set up I wouldn't combine our x-pipe with a high-flow cat or delete. The later itself already makes the car louder and if combined with ours it'll be way loud for a lot of people I should think. I think it's a case of one or the other but not both together. We definately did design ours for use with stock cats and hence the volume/level etc... anything above that might well be too loud indeed.

Last edited by sharkster; 06-13-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 AM
shing911500e
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lengthy thread on this topic is going in another thread here on rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1140...ust-input.html
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 AM
basic666
User

Originally Posted by zunayed View Post
I would say the sports cats improved the sound quality, esp in Sport mode, much more than the volume. The exhaust noise became deeper and burbles sounded better. The improvement is definitely more focused on the lower end of the RPM range imo, and there were less improvements in the higher RPMs. But the higher RPMS sounded more like the 991.1 I think? With PSE on, the volume increased from a 4/10 to 5/10 on the inside, and maybe a max of 6/10 on the outside. With it off, it went from a 1/10 to 2/10.

The exhaust definitely has a greater overall effect. Everything sounds much louder than before and It seems to bring out the higher end better (together with cats). The low end of the RPM range in Sport mode is excessively loud (vol. 11/10 ), but not so in Sport+ (7/10). Sport and Sport+ both sound similar above 3k RPMs (save for the burbles) and both sound really good (vol. 8/10). How much of this is from just the exhaust, I couldn't tell you. Honestly, if there was no droning and there was a decrease in volume below 3k, I would've been extremely pleased with the product.
pretty insightful thanks! 11/10 sounds scary LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 PM
[email protected]
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi guys
Since a lot of people have been asking us about high flow cats, cat deletes, muffler replacements and full exhausts such as Tubi that replace the muffler and cats, I made a reference chart which I've posted below.

This just outlines most of the ways you can modify the PSE exhaust system and it's strictly based on my opinions and experience. I haven't heard all these combinations or tested them extensively and noted this below. And I'd be happy for feedback on this chart. Also I didn't add headers to the chart because they won't have quite as big of an impact as the HFCs/bypasses etc. But they will certainly make everything a little bit louder and possibly add some power. The drone is also avoidable on many of these situations with different modes (Sport/PSE off etc.) and with a manual transmission especially because you can shift out of the "drone zone".

Any exhaust will have pluses and minuses, and any combination can be combined for someone's personal tastes so this might give you some insights.

Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: [email protected]

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: