1) Left Lane Idiots
2) Semi's in the left lane doing 20 mph less than posted
3) Anyone driving a mini-van anywhere
Old 06-09-2019, 01:11 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
I see the pattern of behavior, that you described above, occur all the time. On two or three lane highways, drivers, who remain perpetually in the left lane with no cars in front of them, speed up to try to prevent me, or others, from passing and getting back into the left lane ahead of them.

When I was younger, this would aggravate me. I would very much prefer to never pass anybody on the right. But I tend to drive faster than most on highways. I move all the way right when not passing, then move left only when I want to pass someone. The way it should be. But perpetual left-lane drivers screw it all up for everyone.

Anyway, I no longer get aggravated about it. I just learned to drive faster when passing so they don't have any chance to box me in. No anger, no stress. I just go by and continue on my way without giving them another thought.
Yes, I've learned to adopt this approach too. In my state it is the law on the interstate to keep right except to pass (there are signs saying this every 10 miles or so). Is is also permissible to pass on right on multilane roads. So put these two together (and ignoring the speed limit for sake of argument)... I just wait for an appropriate gap, downshift and go. Easy with the 991.2. I don't tailgate, I don't fret. Best only if there isn't too high a traffic density, I also don't want to weave.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

The people who don't understand that the left lane is not a fast lane but a passing lane. Even if you're cruising at 130 in on a 65-mph freeway, you should be int he right lane unless you're actually passing someone.

People who apply their brake before the turn signal. Are they slowing down because they're turning left, turning right, because there's something in the road, or simply braking for no sensible reason. All of these are reasonable possibilities and the use of the turn signal lets the driver behind know what's going on.

Furthermore, the proper sequence when turning is turn signal, change to the appropriate lane--completely, with nor corner of the car dragging the previous lane, braking for the corner, and executing the turn. Not one in 20 drivers does this correctly.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
The people who don't understand that the left lane is not a fast lane but a passing lane. Even if you're cruising at 130 in on a 65-mph freeway, you should be int he right lane unless you're actually passing someone.

People who apply their brake before the turn signal. Are they slowing down because they're turning left, turning right, because there's something in the road, or simply braking for no sensible reason. All of these are reasonable possibilities and the use of the turn signal lets the driver behind know what's going on.

Furthermore, the proper sequence when turning is turn signal, change to the appropriate lane--completely, with nor corner of the car dragging the previous lane, braking for the corner, and executing the turn. Not one in 20 drivers does this correctly.
I wonder about left lane as only a passing lane. If you’re faster than everyone then you’re always passing. If you notice someone behind you can move over to let them pass you. Constantly moving over to pass and then going back to the middle lane would be tiresome, especially with how people drive in CA.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 PM
thesaintusa
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
I wonder about left lane as only a passing lane. If you’re faster than everyone then you’re always passing. If you notice someone behind you can move over to let them pass you. Constantly moving over to pass and then going back to the middle lane would be tiresome, especially with how people drive in CA.

Issue is if they are not faster than everybody.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Yes!

My biggest pet peeve.

When the light turns Yellow, they are the only one that gets to make it through & if they would have correctly pulled to the center of the intersection, 3 cars or even 4 could have gone through.
If you really want to get annoyed by thing, visit Tucson. Almost all of the signals there have a left turn green arrow that comes on AFTER the main signal turns red. That conditions people to sit behind the white line until the green arrow comes on. But some intersections have only the standard signal with no arrow. I have sat behind drivers who waited through multiple cycles because they would not pull into the intersection on the standard green.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Doing things right is often tiresome. And can you promise that will always notice people coming up behind you early enough that they don't have to slow down? If you stay in the right lane except when you're passing, you don't have to monitoring your rear view mirror so diligently.

And in the country where our cars are produced, that's the way they drive. No hogging the left lane, no passing on the right, and paying attention. It's wonderful.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Doing things right is often tiresome. And can you promise that will always notice people coming up behind you early enough that they don't have to slow down? If you stay in the right lane except when you're passing, you don't have to monitoring your rear view mirror so diligently.

And in the country where our cars are produced, that's the way they drive. No hogging the left lane, no passing on the right, and paying attention. It's wonderful.
Actually i can, scan my mirrors multiple times per minute. All it takes is a brief glance, situational awareness is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Cisco!
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tiresome, how heavy is your blinker stalk? Lol

Obviously you’re not going to be moving back and forth like a slalom course, should be done within reason. We’re trying to be better than those drivers.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Left lane as a passing-only lane is as dead as the dinosaurs in the US. In many places, traffic is too heavy and the temptation of an open lane is too great for road warriors to resist.

Enforcing any laws regarding slow traffic to the right? There aren't enough LEOs to begin to do that. They could spend the entire day catching red light/stop sign runners, they can't even do that as they're humping calls all shift.

We are on our own when driving, you can control your own behavior for sure, but expecting others to equal your standards? Forget it, that was one of the reasons I retired at 48 yrs of age, as soon as I could. Trying to keep my subordinate standards to a high level only got me chest pain and even a transfer to the equivalent of Siberia once.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm annoyed by drivers of American cars that feel the need to rev their engines when they see a Porsche. I'm not revving. I'm not showing off. Yet, they feel the need to display aggression.

Mostly Corvettes and Mustangs.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Drivers who fly up to stop signs right up to (or through) the limit line when you don't have a stop…
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I'm annoyed by drivers of American cars that feel the need to rev their engines when they see a Porsche. I'm not revving. I'm not showing off. Yet, they feel the need to display aggression.

Mostly Corvettes and Mustangs.
I had to chuckle reading this because just last week I had a funny experience w/engine revving, kind of...

I was pulling up to a red light in my 7MT 991.2 GTS. I was going slowly because there was construction at the intersection and there was a pretty deep rut across my entire lane. I gently rolled the front tires, then the rear tires, down into and then back up and out of the rut. But I was too gentle with the rears, and I rolled backwards into the rut. So basically, I was riding the clutch a little to roll the car back out of the rut. Which I finally did and I could then fully stop for the red light. I had the car in sport mode, so the engine was growling a little the whole time - not loudly or aggressively, but more than if I was entirely off the gas, as I was revving a little cross the rut extremely slowly, riding the clutch, without stalling the engine.

Meanwhile, there was a guy next to me in an older, totally innocuous, non sports-car of some type. I looked over and he was grinning at me and he said, mockingly I believe, "I'm terrified". He didn't realize, I think, my struggles with the rut across my lane - and just thought I was daring him to race away from the light by rolling my car back and forth and quietly revving the engine w/quiet gurgles and pops.

I felt kind of stupid, but had to laugh because I could see how it must have looked from his perspective.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 385 Likes on 274 Posts

Every Black and White and Silver Honda , Hyundai ,and Kia .... Damn Uber drivers everywhere constantly meandering between lanes hitting the brakes or stopping in the middle of traffic looking for their addresses or fares.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BSO
Left lane as a passing-only lane is as dead as the dinosaurs in the US. In many places, traffic is too heavy and the temptation of an open lane is too great for road warriors to resist.

Enforcing any laws regarding slow traffic to the right? There aren't enough LEOs to begin to do that. They could spend the entire day catching red light/stop sign runners, they can't even do that as they're humping calls all shift.

We are on our own when driving, you can control your own behavior for sure, but expecting others to equal your standards? Forget it, that was one of the reasons I retired at 48 yrs of age, as soon as I could. Trying to keep my subordinate standards to a high level only got me chest pain and even a transfer to the equivalent of Siberia once.
Heavy traffic does make it difficult to maintain the left lane solely for passing. But even on heavily trafficked roads, it's amazing how often the right lane somehow turns into the fastest and least occupied one.

So there is some lane discipline going on. It just exactly backwards from what it should be.

Quick Reply: Annoying Drivers