Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my over run cracks and pops on my 991.2?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Georgemaser
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What happened to my over run cracks and pops on my 991.2?

I have a 2019 991.2 gts which I am loving. Great drive, and great exhaust note then yesterday I took it to a do it yourself car wahs and one of metal drain gates on the ground was placed wrong and it may have scraped the bottom of my car as I heard a noise. Now it seems like the over run cracks and pops are not as often and more quiet when the car is in sport mode. It seems that the exhaust valves are working as the exhaust will change tone when I push the exhaust button. Does anyone know if I messed something up or what would be going on? Any in site is much appreciated!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Take some photos underneath the car if its scratched
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgemaser
I have a 2019 991.2 gts which I am loving. Great drive, and great exhaust note then yesterday I took it to a do it yourself car wahs and one of metal drain gates on the ground was placed wrong and it may have scraped the bottom of my car as I heard a noise. Now it seems like the over run cracks and pops are not as often and more quiet when the car is in sport mode. It seems that the exhaust valves are working as the exhaust will change tone when I push the exhaust button. Does anyone know if I messed something up or what would be going on? Any in site is much appreciated!
Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Take some photos underneath the car if its scratched
OP should focus on the exhaust area of the car. May need to get it up on a rack to be able to really get a good look at the exhaust area.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Georgemaser
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Can’t get it into the dealer until the end of the month. Not sure how I can see under there unless it’s up on a lift. Just wondered if anyone has experienced the crackles and pops decreasing like this?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Can’t get it into the dealer until the end of the month. Not sure how I can see under there unless it’s up on a lift. Just wondered if anyone has experienced the crackles and pops decreasing like this?
Lay on the ground and take pictures.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 PM
AndyBB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that the pops were much less in the warmer weather, not sure if it is the air temps or the gas blend for warmer months but pops much more noticible in the winter months.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyBB
I noticed that the pops were much less in the warmer weather, not sure if it is the air temps or the gas blend for warmer months but pops much more noticible in the winter months.
Mine's the opposite. Pops and crackles much more in hot climate conditions and especially when engine really heated up. Also, in Germany you can get 100 octane fuel, quite expensive, called Race Power or something similar from Shell. which really makes it sound fantastic. it also makes it pop and crackle a bit without having Sport Exhaust engaged. In UK best available is 98 octane against cheaper 95 basic octane for regular cars. NB, octane measured differently in US so numbers lower for the same stuff.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Consider yourself lucky. Less of all that fake look at me nonsense, the better.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Consider yourself lucky. Less of all that fake look at me nonsense, the better.
I'm sort of with you on this. But the Sports Exhaust can be switched off and shouldn't be on in built up areas and when pootling around near pedestrians. In fairness, with Porsche, the volume is low relative to, say, a V8 F-type Jag, which really does scream 'look at me'. With Porsche it really can be used just for your own aural enjoyment to enhance the driving enjoyment.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Get a set of Race Ramps. They come in handy for a lot projects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happened to my over run cracks and pops on my 991.2?