Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM
RCRob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Squeaks

After an exhaustive effort I’ve finally determined that my dash squeak is coming from my fuel tank. I’ve read that the mount pads have slipped out of position. So I used a small leaver to wiggle the tank and sure enough it’s the exact sound I’ve been chasing.

Before I start the repair I’m wondering if anyone has any guidance on how to resolve the issue or can direct me to a DIY. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

In & subscribed. My local dealer refuses to diagnose and fix this for me, and I'm 100% certain I have the same issue as you. One thing I do know is it's easy to reproduce the sounds if you warm up the car, then fill the tank with gas. It'll squeak for sure in that situation.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to take a picture of where you wedged a lever in from?

Would be great if we could come up with a DIY solution now that more and more of us are out of warranty. Even if it was a bit of a hack such as jamming more padding in there, I'm open to it.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

My dealer fixed this under "courtesy repair" - ie free post warranty, not much details but work order says they loosened the tank, repositioned the pads and retightened. Super helpful I know... But at least you are on the right track. Only squeak left is from my door check straps..
Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
My dealer fixed this under "courtesy repair" - ie free post warranty, not much details but work order says they loosened the tank, repositioned the pads and retightened. Super helpful I know... But at least you are on the right track. Only squeak left is from my door check straps..
Funny how each dealer is so different. Mine fixed the squeaky door check straps, but now a year later, they're starting to make noise again. I think you just have to be liberal with the white lithium grease in that area and know it has to be touched up from time to time.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM
RCRob
Track Day

Originally Posted by koala
In & subscribed. My local dealer refuses to diagnose and fix this for me, and I'm 100% certain I have the same issue as you. One thing I do know is it's easy to reproduce the sounds if you warm up the car, then fill the tank with gas. It'll squeak for sure in that situation.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to take a picture of where you wedged a lever in from?

Would be great if we could come up with a DIY solution now that more and more of us are out of warranty. Even if it was a bit of a hack such as jamming more padding in there, I'm open to it.

Pull the cover that’s above the battery. Insert a lever I.E. wooden broom handle or similar between the front of the left side of the plastic fuel tank and the backside of the trunk compartment. With a little pressure applied you will easily hear the squeak if this is your problem.

I’m traveling till Friday. As soon as I get back I’ll post some pics and a Video.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I had this issue for about a year. Finally got the SA to take a drive with me and admit hearing it. Fixed under warranty. Took them a couple of days, actually. Knock on wood, the problem has resolved ever since. I would ask them to repair it as a courtesy if you are out of warranty. If you are in warranty, they should fix it for free.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:22 PM
RCRob
Track Day

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I had this issue for about a year. Finally got the SA to take a drive with me and admit hearing it. Fixed under warranty. Took them a couple of days, actually. Knock on wood, the problem has resolved ever since. I would ask them to repair it as a courtesy if you are out of warranty. If you are in warranty, they should fix it for free.
Just made an appointment with my dealer for this Friday (Yay!!!!). He said it is covered under the CPO warranty. I can’t wait for this to be resolved as it’s driving me crazy and really takes away from driving it.

It would still be nice to have a DIY. Even if it’s only a couple pictures of the mount would be helpful.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCRob
Just made an appointment with my dealer for this Friday (Yay!!!!). He said it is covered under the CPO warranty. I can’t wait for this to be resolved as it’s driving me crazy and really takes away from driving it.

It would still be nice to have a DIY. Even if it’s only a couple pictures of the mount would be helpful.
You've inspired me to try again with my dealer, too. Going to see if I can reproduce the squeaks in the method you described as it's easier than a road test for sure. Best of luck in getting yours fixed!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Common thing even with boxsters/caymans 2013-16. Foam moves or never installed. Tank expands and flexes rubbing frame.

Quick fix is get under car and shove some foam in between.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

For those out there who think they may also have this squeak: After months of trying to figure it out, my "moment of clarity" was when I realized that the squeak was worse when the gas tank was full. It went away when the gas level was under half full. It was at that point that I realized I had the known gas tank liner issue (which is discussed on other threads in the 991 forum). So, I took the car to the service department on a full tank (and it does help if the car is warm, as the heat will make the gas tank metal expand). Once they heard the squeak (which is very hard to pinpoint - it sounded like it came from here, there and everywhere), they finally took the car in and addressed the issue. Good luck - glad to hear you have an imminent appointment!
The following users liked this post:
scr1244 (11-10-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 676 Posts

Bumping this from the dead, my car is having this issue, and I was able to get the noise on video but never for the dealer. I realized that if I stand in the frunk and pull the cover tray off, I can yank the tank with my hand and make the styrofoam creaking noise happen. Appt on 19th. It better get fixed this time. 3rd time's a charm.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Bumping this from the dead, my car is having this issue, and I was able to get the noise on video but never for the dealer. I realized that if I stand in the frunk and pull the cover tray off, I can yank the tank with my hand and make the styrofoam creaking noise happen. Appt on 19th. It better get fixed this time. 3rd time's a charm.
Oh man! I posted the porsche technical doc somewhere, let me try to find it. But the fix is pretty easy if you have access to a lift, I did it myself in about an hour or so.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

Enjoy fellas
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ATI-2-1403.pdf (427.2 KB, 406 views)
ZØLTN (07-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

my experience was the squeaky noise was obvious with a full tank of gas but wasn't there at all with 1/3 or less.
AdamSanta85 (04-09-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:53 PM
clint.spann
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is the gas tank shield (plastic) and gas tank (plastic) move against each other when the ambient temp is high and especially when the tank if full.

THE FIX:

1) Jack the front of the car up
2) Remove the front most plastic cover
3) Find the seam between the plastic gas tank shield and the gas tank
4) Saturate the gas tank shield with silicon lubricant. Make sure it comes out the other side.

DONE

OMG, you guys had me looking at the silly foam pads and considering removing the tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Squeaks