Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise is Crap

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:45 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Problem is the shortest following distance is still enough room for some jerk to take that space from you. Only riding the *** of the person in front of you can avoid the system constantly letting people in.

Agree.

Fortunately in the Mercedes E63 you can accelerate and temporarily disengage the ACC and close the gap and it will then reengage and maintain speed.

You can set the gap pretty narrow.

I like using the ACC/Distronic on the highway in the Mercedes. Works very well.

Do not have it on the 911.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Can Porsche (or any other) adaptive cruise control’s adaptive feature be turned off allowing the driber to use it in the “traditional” mode?
No. It's either on with distance settings or it's completely off. No way to default to the traditional cruise control.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve got ACC on my BMW and it can be downgraded to “dumb” CC if you want. I haven’t tried this on the 911 yet but would be surprised if you couldn’t?

911 cruise control - distance: 5 yards, mode: Sport+, headlights: full beam...
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I’ve got ACC on my BMW and it can be downgraded to “dumb” CC if you want. I haven’t tried this on the 911 yet but would be surprised if you couldn’t?

911 cruise control - distance: 5 yards, mode: Sport+, headlights: full beam...
You cannot on the 991. I had ACC on my previous 991.1 and have it on my current 991.2. Both operated identically and neither could be downgraded to "dumb" cruise control. It's all or nothing.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default not the 19 maxima

No way to defeat this idiotic feature. Thats what scared me. I dont like the lane assist grabbing the wheel either. Ive managed not to sideswipe anyone this long.

Originally Posted by BCA01
Not sure about Porsche as I haven't tried it but I had a 2018 Toyota Tundra with adaptive cruise and the way to override it and just use regular cruise was to hold down the cruise control power button for about 3 seconds. So if you just pressed the button to turn cruise control on, it defaulted to active cruise; but holding the button down for a few seconds would just turn it on in "regular" mode. I would imagine that all cars with active cruise have functionality for regular/non-active cruise control also.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default doubt it

I was watching and all the "spaced out" cars appeared to have the adaptive space between them increased until eventually they were all going 20 mph too slow in the wrong lane.

Many times in my career I have seen technology deployed to fix a problem and it actually causes another problem that is worse. Gridlock causes all sorts of issues.

In practice how it works is driver A is going 60 mph in a 70 zone where traffic should be doing 80. Then of course somone would pass on the right and cut in causing a ripple in the line. This causes adaptive cruise control to go down to 55 mph. If you take a line of cars a mile long or say 50 cars this is happening multiple times in multiple interations. Your average travel speed has now decreased by 15 to 20 mph.

Adpative cruise that cannot be defeated is a reason I wont buy a car. YMMV

Originally Posted by JW911
Adaptive cruise is awesome and I won't buy a car without it. They key is to set the distance to the shortest possible. The default starting position is way too far. Doubtful that you are witnessing a wave of adaptive cruise changing traffic patterns for the worse. Although it is becoming more common in new cars, it is still quite rare. I would guess less than 1 percent of cars on the road have it. It is even still relatively rare in high end cars as evidenced by my searches in the past few years for recent model BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc. I had a real hard time finding it. It is an expensive option on most cars. Though it is becoming standard in some mid tier brand new cars. Still a tiny fraction of cars on the road.

I think you are simply experiencing typical east coast traffic with some dumbass doing 60 in the left lane and many others stuck behind him and can't pass due to heavy traffic on the right. I experience this almost every day. Frustrating but not related to adaptive cruise. By the way, if you touch the gas pedal you can close the gap even further. That overrides the distance maintenance feature until you get dangerously close and an audible and visual warning will flash.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

I liked ACC on my Audi RS5. You can adjust distance or use dumb cc. Works great. I like cc on long drives where the speed limit is 25 or 30. My foot is untrustworthy.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I have it in my 2017 Lexus GX and it sucks imo. It can be turned off which is good because the radar cannot "see" sometimes (rain). My issue is not the distance (I do set it at min distance); it's how slow it "thinks". If a gap opens up in front of me it takes a few seconds for the system to "see" it and respond. It then accelerates so slowly that someone invariably pulls over into the lane. The system again takes a few seconds to see the new car then slams on the brakes because we are too close. I've also been coming up behind a car that was turning right and the system slams on the brakes well after the car has turned and is no longer in the lane. On the positive side I was looking at my phone, on the highway, and everyone slammed on the brakes. The system kept me from rear ending the car in front. The GX also has the Lane Departure warning and it is totally useless; far inferior to the 2013 Mercedes I had before the Lexus.

I do think they will get better and better but the current "v1" leaves a lot to be desired imo.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
I liked ACC on my Audi RS5. You can adjust distance or use dumb cc. Works great. I like cc on long drives where the speed limit is 25 or 30. My foot is untrustworthy.
I agree that cruise control works well on long, low-speed-limit roads in the city. But ACC still acts up, slowing excessively when someone is turning in front of you and often reacting to oncoming cars in mild bends.

Give me DUMB cruise control any day.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I think the last time I used cruise control on any car was about 1992.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise is Crap