Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everybody and their grandma wants to race!

Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Everybody and their grandma wants to race!

Just did a 30mile drive, I live near the shores. Meant to be relaxing evening drive.

the car just brings out the worst in everyone else..

every SUV and Truck wants to race, especially the trucks.

some just try to cut me off, hold me back, block me from changing lanes or just plan try to race next to me on 50mph roads...

anyone else experience this? I had 5 drives try to do this in some form tonight in 30miles...
Old 06-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Its just racing season... A crotch rocket harassed me into some pulls last week. and I was curious.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I’m going to put this out there. I grew up in Texas and when I moved to NJ, I couldn’t believe the number of rednecks and trash that’s here. You would think Texas would’ve had more, nope, not even close. Sorry if I offend anyone here when I say this, and I don’t mean to target anyone here, but the idiots in those trucks are the worst. They tune the **** out of their diesels and they want to try and **** on the 100k+ “fancy” cars. Also, like you said, they want to purposely block you in and just be a douche in whatever way they can. Pisses me off.
Similar things happen to me in my Hellcat. Just today some douche young kid was driving a slightly older Audi A8 or S8, that was modded in some way. I’m an Audi fan and have had Audi’s for years. This moron is tailing me, so far up my ***, I could see the pimples on his face from my rear view mirror. I was annoyed as ****. I punched the gas just a bit, and of course my rear end kicks out a little. Slowing down to a light and the moron is like, you can’t even keep it in a straight line. My response was simply, you’re car is too slow to even do that. He was mum and off to wherever. I hate it man, it’s bad. Sorry, kind of vented on this post. So yeah, same happens to me.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah it happens to me 100% of the time as well, especially w the track vinyl/numbers on, I don't turn it down I race every single one of those guys, by that I mean I just disappear.

Especially with the 4.0 now the torque is just ridiculous I mean I'm not going drive with a Toyota Corolla thinking it can keep up or something like that.

Most guys get real scared and just give up right around triple digits.

I'm probably an exception though I'm aware of that.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

It happens to me all the time here in New Hampshire. Especially the diesel pick up trucks driven by 25 to 35-year-olds. They want to race all the time. And if I don’t oblige they get in front of me and punch it hard and give me a huge cloud of diesel smoke. I Usually am quick enough to hit the recirculate button on the console before they do it.

It’s been bad lately. I don’t know why. Every young kid wants to race me. Must be envy and jealousy.
It seems worse this year with my white 911. Previously I had a midnight blue 911 and I did not get harassed as much.

Regarding the above triple digit comment. I agree. There was a joker in an S7 or 8 Audi tailgating me at 90 then passing me. ( I was minding my own business have a nice cruise and I looked in the rear view mirror and this idiot was right on my bumper )
I got behind him at 95 and then Passed him taking it up to 107 for a few minutes. He backed off quickly and I left him in the dust.

. I don’t know what it is but this year has been bad for this.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Doesn't happen to me as much as others it seems but I did have a huge jacked-up truck going WELL above 100mph around curves. I slowed down because I didn't want to end up getting charged with manslaughter because he lost it due to a race. Seriously, the guy was just insane and would have pushed it until he crashed. I bet he had a great story to tell about how he beat a Porsche.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Doesn't happen to me as much as others it seems but I did have a huge jacked-up truck going WELL above 100mph around curves. I slowed down because I didn't want to end up getting charged with manslaughter because he lost it due to a race. Seriously, the guy was just insane and would have pushed it until he crashed. I bet he had a great story to tell about how he beat a Porsche.
Crazy stuff. Maybe the monster drinks these kids are drinking have testosterone in them. !!!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Hahahaha.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:27 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Just did a 30mile drive, I live near the shores. Meant to be relaxing evening drive.

the car just brings out the worst in everyone else..

every SUV and Truck wants to race, especially the trucks.

some just try to cut me off, hold me back, block me from changing lanes or just plan try to race next to me on 50mph roads...

anyone else experience this? I had 5 drives try to do this in some form tonight in 30miles...
Nope. Never in my Porsche.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:49 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

with only 100 miles of seat time in my GTS i've had a good number of that going on. Most of the time I ignore them but sometimes i just cant help myself. I experienced this in my tuned E63(nearly 700hp) on a daily basis and can tell you that every single one of them got the taste on my exhaust fumes.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:11 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

I have/had this happen to me in the past but now it’s more of a normal occurrence ever since I got my 911. It’s definitely a strange world we live in for sure. Every time I go for a drive in my GTS, there’s always at least one provoking clown. I just ignore them. Many of them like to tail gate or cut me off and I just move over to the next lane. It never fails...when I change lanes to get away from them, these clowns chase me down. A couple of days ago, a blacked out Bimmer was doing less than 70 in the far left lane on the 405 and started to slow when he saw me coming up his 6. When I tried to pass him to the right, he accelerated. Too many spiteful crazies out there. It’s just best to let them win. Every once in a while, I have a little fun which seems to further aggravate these “boys of Vienna sausage”, so I keep it to a minimum.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
I’m going to put this out there. I grew up in Texas and when I moved to NJ, I couldn’t believe the number of rednecks and trash that’s here. You would think Texas would’ve had more, nope, not even close. Sorry if I offend anyone here when I say this, and I don’t mean to target anyone here, but the idiots in those trucks are the worst. They tune the **** out of their diesels and they want to try and **** on the 100k+ “fancy” cars. Also, like you said, they want to purposely block you in and just be a douche in whatever way they can. Pisses me off.
Similar things happen to me in my Hellcat. Just today some douche young kid was driving a slightly older Audi A8 or S8, that was modded in some way. I’m an Audi fan and have had Audi’s for years. This moron is tailing me, so far up my ***, I could see the pimples on his face from my rear view mirror. I was annoyed as ****. I punched the gas just a bit, and of course my rear end kicks out a little. Slowing down to a light and the moron is like, you can’t even keep it in a straight line. My response was simply, you’re car is too slow to even do that. He was mum and off to wherever. I hate it man, it’s bad. Sorry, kind of vented on this post. So yeah, same happens to me.
I know what you mean. My speculative hypothesis is that areas with high population density (and just plain huge numbers of people in one place) breed idiots and bring out the worst, especially in the need to challenge others to prove something. Where I live, by preference, we have just over 100,000 people in the same area as NJ, where almost 9 million people try to annoy each other.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:37 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Same exact thing happened today with an old BMW today in LA, guy came speeding up behind me from a full stop on the shoulder and started road raging (swerving, tailgating, honking) behind me. He wound up chasing me for a while, and nearly took out other drivers while attempting passes on a double yellow / blind corners. I had to pull off and call CHP because I was convinced he was going to kill someone. Guy looked at least 60, so I was quite surprised.

Usually it's just people in Teslas that lodge themselves up my *** though. I always to pull off and let them by, but then I catch them again going much slower than we were previously. And for what it's worth, this never happens in my Cayman, it's just the 911 that attracts insane people.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Yeah it happens to me 100% of the time as well, especially w the track vinyl/numbers on, I don't turn it down I race every single one of those guys, by that I mean I just disappear.

Especially with the 4.0 now the torque is just ridiculous I mean I'm not going drive with a Toyota Corolla thinking it can keep up or something like that.

Most guys get real scared and just give up right around triple digits.

I'm probably an exception though I'm aware of that.
quite a moron also if you are street racing everyone that challenges you up into triple digits. Hope the police catch you and impound your car.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I don’t think this has ever happened to me in my current 911. Maybe because it’s brown and it’s a cabriolet.

It happened a few few times in my previous 911, which was also a brown cabriolet. I think it happened once or twice in the car before that, which was a blue coupe.

When it does happen, I simply don’t engage the other driver. It’s pointless and stupid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everybody and their grandma wants to race!