Sponsored by:

Tire bumped onto curb and now flat

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Cartman2000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire bumped onto curb and now flat

I was parallel parking my 911.1S today on the street and while backing, my rear right tire gently (speed<5 miles/hr) side-bumped into the curb. Immediately my dash showed a loss of 7psi, and then within 10 minutes the whole tire went almost flat. I looked around the tire, but did not find any punctuation or any noticeable sidewall damage. I did hear a quite obvious hissing air leak sound coming from the tire. I then re-inflated the tire with an air pump on my car, and limped home (was not far, probably couple of hundred yards). While at home, I repeated the air pumping a few times, but it was always 90% deflated within about 5-10 minutes. I also looked around the rim with the soapy water spray but could not see anything. The air leak hissing sound is still noticeable whenever the air was put in.

At parallel parking speed, I don't think I punctured anything. With the speed of air leaking and hissing sound, I doubt it will be a nail. The tire itself probably has 75% of the tread left, so not in a bad condition. Google was telling me this might be the tire being knocked off the rim/bead, which could happen at slow speed in touch with a curb at certain angle. I am scratching my head and wonder if any of you have any thoughts? Much appreciated....

Old 05-24-2019, 08:17 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I would also think the tire is no longer seated correctly. I've had this happen on a utility vehicle. Just take it to a good tire place or dealership and have them remove, inspect and hopefully just remount.

You don't mention the wheels, if you didn't scuff or bend them consider yourself very luck.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Cartman2000
AutoX

Thanks for the advice. The wheel thankfully is good.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Tire bumped into curb and now flat! Love this one. You hit the curb not the tire. Don't blame your tire!!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I would also think the tire is no longer seated correctly. I've had this happen on a utility vehicle. Just take it to a good tire place or dealership and have them remove, inspect and hopefully just remount.

You don't mention the wheels, if you didn't scuff or bend them consider yourself very luck.

If you have a good compressor at home, inflate to the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall.This should reseat the bead if not in place. You can also swab the sidewall-rim contact with soapy water.

Did you look at all the tread for a puncture? It could be a wild coincidence.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:46 AM
Cartman2000
AutoX

May thanks for all the suggestions. My air compressor is not that good and I am actually having a hard time pump it back to original state given that it is leaking at the same time. I have tried soapy water on the side but inconclusive. No lift at home so not able to see the whole tire in detail. The tire shop people was telling me that it might just be an unlucky blowout, which makes me wonder about the fragility of the P Zero. I am planning to tow it into a tire place and have it checked out. If it needs a new tire, so be it (kind of hesitant to get the same P Zero, but may have no choice). I'll report back in a few days on findings.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:42 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I smacked some concrete thing pretty hard on the right front tire with P Zero tires and it put a small slice in the curb guard part of the tire and put a small scrape on the wheel. No deflation though. I am still driving it but have two new tires and a new wheel to fix everything in early June. So I don't think the P Zero has any strange tendency to easily deflate.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

considering you hit the curb hard enough to unseat and deflate the tire and you did NO damage to the wheel i think is a damn miracle with these low profile tires. call your self lucky. go to a tire shop and get the situation resolved.

i recently was trying to be a nice guy by scooting over on a tight alley so an old lady can drive past me and scraped my wheel on a curb i didn't realize was there. i wish it was just my tires and it went flat like yours. oh do i wish... lol
Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
considering you hit the curb hard enough to unseat and deflate the tire and you did NO damage to the wheel i think is a damn miracle with these low profile tires. call your self lucky. go to a tire shop and get the situation resolved.

i recently was trying to be a nice guy by scooting over on a tight alley so an old lady can drive past me and scraped my wheel on a curb i didn't realize was there. i wish it was just my tires and it went flat like yours. oh do i wish... lol
Right before I turned in my 991.1 I took a right hander too tight and took a chunk out of the right rear tire. I don't get upset by much but that ruined my day. A $500 turn. I was lucky that the rim was fine though.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:30 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

If you don;t have a puncture, there are only 2 possibilities of air leaking. At the valve stem or at the tire rim where the tire is seated.
As others say, inflate your tire to the max (within limits of the pressure warning on the sidewall) . If you hear a pop, then the beads have reseated. Then inflate to your normal pressure, leave it overnight to see if the pressure holds, If it does, you are home free. If not, then you need t take it to a tire shop with the equipment to dismount the tire from the rim and reseat the beads.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 AM
Cartman2000
AutoX

Took it in today to a tire shop and it turns out to be a blowout. Fragile thing it is...Anyhow, got a new P Zero on my rear right now. Because rear left still has plenty of trim left, so only did one. The unfortunate chain of event is the tire shop added three visible scratches on my rim while changing the tire after I have reminded them multiple times to be careful. Alas, the accelerated aging process of my 911.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 AM
Cartman2000
AutoX

By the way, thanks for everyone's help and suggestion along the way. Very much appreciate it. Now I move on to search for how to remove scratches on the rim...
Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 AM
thesaintusa
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartman2000
Took it in today to a tire shop and it turns out to be a blowout. Fragile thing it is...Anyhow, got a new P Zero on my rear right now. Because rear left still has plenty of trim left, so only did one. The unfortunate chain of event is the tire shop added three visible scratches on my rim while changing the tire after I have reminded them multiple times to be careful. Alas, the accelerated aging process of my 911.
Sucks it was a blow out. The story leaned heavily towards a blowout versus an unseated bead.

Where was the tear?

And they damaged the wheel? what are they doing about that issue?
Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 AM
Cartman2000
AutoX

The tear was at the inside sidewall, interestingly. Probably the size of half of little finger tip. 70% trim still left and now gone with a simple parking bump, which is why I am a bit disappointed in these tires. I have had countless side curb swipes on other types of tires in the past with my other cars, but never any issue.

The tire shop said they will be open to pay for a refinish, which is probably what I will end up doing. here are the scratch pictures.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 AM
thesaintusa
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 256 Posts

If it was the inside sidewall, unlikely from hitting the curb.

Something else caused the tear.

Damage doesn't look too bad, and glad they are refinishing.

Quick Reply: Tire bumped onto curb and now flat