Sponsored by:

oh the Gravel ... Virgin no more

Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Cyberbug
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default oh the Gravel ... Virgin no more

Yeap ... it got me today..

Went for 6 hr drive today, car can be driven 10hrs at a time without issues, the seats are very comfy and the manual is so sweet.

Went up Old Mills Rd, NJ, parallel to Delaware river on the NJ side. The road was full of pot holes and some very very deep, the wide tires and the car handled them without issues. But...

The front right on one leg started making this God awful squealing sound, stopped and poked around the shield didn't feel any stones. On the left side saw few white lines inside the wheel, which is classic indication of stone getting between caliper and wheel... its done.. but considering wheels are consumables and its driven.

On the Right could not find anything but the noise was loud and horrible, gave up finally, tried a few reverses, few hard brakes nothing.. but next few pot holes took car of what ever was stuck and no more sound.

got to be careful with that gravel
Old 05-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Cyberbug
Addict
Rennlist Member

may be this was worth it

Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Jay-S
Addict
Rennlist Member

is that photo fake? It's beautiful!
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Jim137a
User

Awesome pic. Looks like the Poxono Island boat ramp.

‘I love that road - just wish it was smoother - next time you’re in that area check out NPS 611.

Start in Sandyston and end the route where indicated on the attached map - the road gets a bit to rough after that. Also, you can stop at the Walpack Inn ( it’s along the route ) for lunch or dinner. There’s a few epic turns on 611.

Route 615 Walpack NJ

Originally Posted by Cyberbug View Post
may be this was worth it

Old 05-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Cyberbug
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah 611 is next...we usually have lunch at the beginning of 611 off I 80
Sycamore Grille

Nit doing old mills riad again too much gravel and ginormous pot holes.

Drove 6hrs today

Motorcycle day tomorrow
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 PM
NJBThor
User

Beautiful shot! I need to do some more exploring around the Del. Water Gap for some pictures.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

You have centerlocks, right? Hard to tell in the pic. Any damage other than scratches? I mentioned the issue with tight clearance and small rocks when I was having my PCCBs installed this past week and my installer laughed and said I had tons of room and I should have no worries - I have 5 lugs. And I had 7 spacers put on all around to give me more room, which it turns out I did not need, but they bring the wheels out a little so its all good.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Cyberbug
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
You have centerlocks, right? Hard to tell in the pic. Any damage other than scratches? I mentioned the issue with tight clearance and small rocks when I was having my PCCBs installed this past week and my installer laughed and said I had tons of room and I should have no worries - I have 5 lugs. And I had 7 spacers put on all around to give me more room, which it turns out I did not need, but they bring the wheels out a little so its all good.
5 lugs and 10mm spacers in front
Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

5 lugs and 10mm spacers in front
And a rock still got caught in between? Must have been a big rock! Have any pics of the carnage?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Cyberbug
Addict
Rennlist Member

Clearance is around a 1/4” doesn’t take a big rock. I knew of the issue in advance, its been reported many times on the forum.
just scratches on the rim inside. Dirt covers them but I’ll touch the up with some matching paint
Old 05-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Clearance is around a 1/4” doesn’t take a big rock. I knew of the issue in advance, its been reported many times on the forum.
just scratches on the rim inside. Dirt covers them but I’ll touch the up with some matching paint
Yeah I know, but the clearance with the centerlocks must be a lot less since very tiny pebbles tend to get caught...we have more room with the 5 lugs and it appears I have a lot more than 1/4" but I will check. And several have scraped their calipers as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: