Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 991.1 Radiator Grills are here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by puppycat
That looks like the inside tab (toward center of bumper). What about the outside tab? That's the one for which there is no room behind the strake.
One more time. There is no tab on that side!!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
One more time. There is no tab on that side!!!!
Thank you. Apologies if I missed a previous post on this. If there's no tab on that side, how does the cover release from the strake on that side? Do I just need to use forced to pry it up and over the strake? Trying not to break the plastic bits.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Thank you. Apologies if I missed a previous post on this. If there's no tab on that side, how does the cover release from the strake on that side? Do I just need to use forced to pry it up and over the strake? Trying not to break the plastic bits.
Ok, I re-read your post. No tab on the other side. I will re-attempt this tonight when I get home and report back.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by RGS
To reach the tabs you need to reach into the radiator cavity and feel for them at the ends of the covers. Hopefully someone will post up a photo of them specific for those vehicles.
Ok I was able to get the strake covers off with a little persuasion. What the directions don't tell you is there's a horizontal notched tab that fits into a slot on the bumper. Once I figured that out I was able to coax it out.

However, I've learned these grills do not fit my 991.1 opening (without the vertical strake). What's there on half of the opening is a large plastic piece that's integrated into the horizontal strakes. There's no room to fit the grill between the strakes and the plastic molding. Even if you could fit it there, you are blocked by a vertical plastic connector that attaches the strakes to the large plastic molding. Unless I'm missing something, they don't fit. See attached image where the strakes and the molding connect.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
bentrod (03-13-2021)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 213 Posts

Ok I was able to get the strake covers off with a little persuasion. What the directions don't tell you is there's a horizontal notched tab that fits into a slot on the bumper. Once I figured that out I was able to coax it out.

However, I've learned these grills do not fit my 991.1 opening (without the vertical strake). What's there on half of the opening is a large plastic piece that's integrated into the horizontal strakes. There's no room to fit the grill between the strakes and the plastic molding. Even if you could fit it there, you are blocked by a vertical plastic connector that attaches the strakes to the large plastic molding. Unless I'm missing something, they don't fit. See attached image where the strakes and the molding connect.
Ah yes, you must have a base model? Or C4? Porsche has many different variants. You are correct, these grills will not fit your model due to it being a base model with the deflector. We will take the grills back, no charge to you. We can also get some measurements from you and will fabricate one for you to test. I will PM you for details.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Also awaiting ANYONE to produce and offer grilles for 991.2 S models. All I have found to date require front bumper cover removal for installation and then screwing the grills onto the back of the bumper cover.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by RGS
Ah yes, you must have a base model? Or C4? Porsche has many different variants. You are correct, these grills will not fit your model due to it being a base model with the deflector. We will take the grills back, no charge to you. We can also get some measurements from you and will fabricate one for you to test. I will PM you for details.
Correct, this is for a C2. Thanks for acknowledging the issue and offering the return. I'd be happy to work with you to develop a solution that works for the 991.1 C2
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2017 C2S which has front parking sensors. The slats on the front of the OEM grilles are motorized and change position per Porsche's computer controls for the engine [and A/C?] requirements. Sorry for any confusion I have added!

I recently experienced road debris destruction of the front coolant filled intercooler radiator on my 2011 Audi S4 when a truck that had been in the oil and gas fields in southern Ohio suddenly pulled out in front of me on I-77. That radiator is located low down front and center of the vehicle. Cost of the new OEM replacement radiator including dealer installation was about $600. At least Audi figured out that that radiator should have a bit of OEM protection because the replacement unit has a plastic grill component attached directly to the radiator, the bars of that plastic protector cover the front facing edges of all of the fluid tubes. I think Audi did this production change because they used the same supercharged 3L engine in many other vehicles following its introduction in the S4, e.g. A6 and Q5 vehicles.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Great looking grills. My car already had grills installed, but if they ever get damaged I'd replace with these. My car has a laser jamming system with sensors installed in the radiator openings though but I assume I could trim the grills to make a cutout for the sensors?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 AM
dsanto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting for some for a 991.2 GTS. Any idea when they may be available?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dsanto
Still waiting for some for a 991.2 GTS. Any idea when they may be available?
Soon hopefully! I was looking at a couple in Montreal at F1 and they are extremely exposed!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Great looking grills. My car already had grills installed, but if they ever get damaged I'd replace with these. My car has a laser jamming system with sensors installed in the radiator openings though but I assume I could trim the grills to make a cutout for the sensors?
Yes you could make custom cuts as you see fit.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Just installed mine this weekend. Seems like there is some variation of the actual grill openings per others posts. My car is 991.1S w/o parking sensors and I followed the instructions and was done in about 10 mins per side. Agree with the feedback that the zip ties could be a touch longer just to have plenty of length to play with but otherwise no problems and happy with the results. Fit was 95%, a smidge off in the lower / center section on both sides but so minor that it's not really visible, particularly with the grille being black and behind the wings. Great price point / fit / value.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM
RonD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The screen normally goes behind the parking sensors which is fine, but leaves a little gap at the edge of the screen, so I decided to cut out the parking sensor area. Closes up the gap at the edge of the screen. I added some rubber trim on the sharp edges where I made the cut.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@RonD Very nice modification!

Originally Posted by RonD
The screen normally goes behind the parking sensors which is fine, but leaves a little gap at the edge of the screen, so I decided to cut out the parking sensor area. Closes up the gap at the edge of the screen. I added some rubber trim on the sharp edges where I made the cut.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 991.1 Radiator Grills are here!