Sponsored by:

Question on KW H.A.S. kit for 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,055 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Centerlocking wheels have no impact on suspension fitment. If you want to "slam" the car then get actual coilovers. KW HAS kit does have height adjustability.

Are you sure about that? Do CL and 5 lug rims have the same wheel offsets? If they dont, then yes it does have an impact.

I do not suggest HR springs or KW has kit. Ive had both. One was way too soft and slammed the car. The KW HAS kit was nice. But very firm and rebound was too firm for my liking. I felt my car was planted MUCH better in stock form at HIGH speeds. Sure it cornered better daily driving with either of those solutions. But track speed wise, I felt the car handled worse!

Id either buy proper coil over setup (not a sleeve kit that slams your stock struts) or keep it stock in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 676 Posts

I am going to be making a decision for this in near future. Other than the Bilstein PSS10, who else makes a PASM/SPASM compatible coilover that keeps the electronics?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I am going to be making a decision for this in near future. Other than the Bilstein PSS10, who else makes a PASM/SPASM compatible coilover that keeps the electronics?
https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991
Old 05-22-2019, 03:01 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tay101
Thanks. I was skeptical of them, but after doing some digging it looks like Tractive was founded by the WP Suspension guys. Familiar with them from my KTM Motocross experience.

https://tractivesuspension.com/history/
Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Did anyone resolve the issue of CL’s and the HAS kit?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Did anyone resolve the issue of CL’s and the HAS kit?
What issue are you having or speaking of?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

What issue are you having or speaking of?
KW call out on the website “NOT FOR CL” wheels on the 991.2. Speculation is that the wheel offsets may result in contact between the wheel/tire and HAS kit. I dont recall anyone reporting that they had successfully installed on a 991.2 with CLs. Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

KW call out on the website “NOT FOR CL” wheels on the 991.2. Speculation is that the wheel offsets may result in contact between the wheel/tire and HAS kit. I dont recall anyone reporting that they had successfully installed on a 991.2 with CLs. Thanks
Ah sorry about that. I could have sworn I saw someone a thread on here where has them on a CL GTS and said it was a non issue and KW was wrong.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Ah sorry about that. I could have sworn I saw someone a thread on here where has them on a CL GTS and said it was a non issue and KW was wrong.
I recall a similar post where someone with a .1 GTS w/CLs installed the kit. I have been keeping my eyes open for someone reporting that they fit a .2 GTS w/CL’s. If you happen to find the post I would be very happy to be proven wrong. Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

so we still don't know if the KW H.A.S kit will fit CL cars besides what KW says, btw KW USA has been very flaky with fitment information.
I have a #25371063 up on market place and someone else asked me about CL fitment too.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
so we still don't know if the KW H.A.S kit will fit CL cars besides what KW says, btw KW USA has been very flaky with fitment information.
I have a #25371063 up on market place and someone else asked me about CL fitment too.
Reviving an old thread as I’m still interested in this topic... seeing as it’s been a few months has anyone installed this kit on a 991.2 GTS with center locks?

I’ve started to do my own research and I think the issue is the front suspension perch clearance to the CL’s. The center locks have 6mm less clearance (based on size and offsets) so I got under my GTS w/CLs to take a look. Dang! I was really surprised to find out how close the spring perch was to my tire on a stock car. I could not get my pinky between them so it’s only a few mm’s. Although the back is recessed more due to size and offset it looks like there is loads of room left.

So it looks like it’s a clearance issue with the CL’s, that is if my assumption than the suspension is the same. Anyone know if this is correct?

The bottom line is that I want to lower my car to GT3 stance, so roughly half an inch. From what I have read and also direct feed back is that the Techart springs are good and the ride height is nice but the ride quality is somewhat impaired. I’m not surprised but hey I want the look and the retain the SPASM ride quality.

I think the KW HAS might offer the best chance for a non coil over swap (over Techart, H&R) as it appears they have helper springs as per website pics. So I’m thinking about being the guinea pig (clarification, no harm will come to any animals) and ordering up the kit and seeing if it will fit. My secret weapon is to install bottom adjustable arms to gain track, should easily get the 6mm back that is lost with the CL’s.

However what about the total package and cost. I’m thinking that a DSC unit would be a nice compliment. So if I add up the springs, DSC, adjustable arms and alignment it’s probably running close to $4K. That got my thinking about coil overs that could still retain the electronics like the tractive units. Now that will come in around $7K so it’s quite a bit more but is It worth extra money?

I think I will start another thread for coil over discussion / advice but let’s keep this one going for the spring debate.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2019, 06:45 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
BGB guy I think his name is John.. Did not like/suggest the H&R VTF. I asked him and he said he'd go with the KW's.

I spoke with KW directly and they were going to sell me a set for the GTS at a much higher price than advertised.

TAG was going to sell me a set for roughly $1200 shipped during a sale they had on KW products.

I've become reluctant to mess with the OEM suspension/geometry.

Also ran H&R springs on my C4S. Did not like.
Your instincts are right, you shouldn’t mess with it. These springs will always always ride and handle worse.

I definitely wouldn’t mess with it on a gts or any 991 with spasm, the performance and ride height are excellent.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kennypowers
Your instincts are right, you shouldn’t mess with it. These springs will always always ride and handle worse.

I definitely wouldn’t mess with it on a gts or any 991 with spasm, the performance and ride height are excellent.
I totally agree that the SPASM performance is excellent but the ride height is subjective. I have lived with my car for 1 year now and my own personal preference is to lower it to GT3 stance. I have been hesitant to do it earlier as I don’t want a loss in performance, however the worst that can happen is that I learn an expensive lesson when I switch it back
Old 10-05-2019, 07:25 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally agree that the SPASM performance is excellent but the ride height is subjective. I have lived with my car for 1 year now and my own personal preference is to lower it to GT3 stance. I have been hesitant to do it earlier as I don’t want a loss in performance, however the worst that can happen is that I learn an expensive lesson when I switch it back
Definitely looks are personal, 100%.

my point is that any spring kit will ride and perform worse, no question. The damper length and valving is matched to the spring height and length.

Reducing ride height using springs only reduces the suspension travel and causes the dampers to work in a range they are not designed for. This doesn’t even take into account the various spring rates which are not at all matched to the dampers.

the suspension in these cars is so well tuned imo it is just really hard to justify changing it simply for looks while noticeably degrading the performance of the car.

i also have personal experience as my prior 991 S came with spasm but had H&R springs on it which were awful. Thankfully it also had the stock springs which I put on immediately.

imo if I HAD to have a lower suspension I would spend a lot more money on a comprehensive well designed kit with matching damper length and valving to accommodate shorter springs
Old 10-05-2019, 07:32 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

However what about the total package and cost. I’m thinking that a DSC unit would be a nice compliment. So if I add up the springs, DSC, adjustable arms and alignment it’s probably running close to $4K. That got my thinking about coil overs that could still retain the electronics like the tractive units. Now that will come in around $7K so it’s quite a bit more but is It worth extra money?
I ended up with Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilovers. Plug and play with the factory PASM computer. I am using it with a DSC unit. Pretty happy with ride quality and performance. If you have PDCC you are limited in how much you can lower it in the front but you can still get it equal or a little lower than a GT3. You can get them for <= $3K, however they don't come with upper mounts like the Tractive, so add another $1200 if you want those. I reused my factory uppers for now.

Quick Reply: Question on KW H.A.S. kit for 991.2 GTS