Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need alignment with every tire change ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
It appears you may have a bit too much negative camber on your rear tires. When you have new tires installed have the shop check the rear camber.
Porsches tend to have more negative camber per specification - it is a sports car after all. If you feel that you're wearing out the insides of your rear tires too much, have your shop dial back on some of the negative camber a bit. You might end up with less cornering capability but that may, or may not bother you.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I had an alignment done when I got my last tires put on. The Hunter Hawkeye is a sweet machine, if you can find someone with one.
Name:  hZ3FI6bl.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  63.9 KB
Name:  SR4fwuzl.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  Rn9o7eBl.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the tire places push alignments just to make money. I took my daughter to a Firestone on a Sunday for an emergency tire replacement a few months ago (Acura SUV). I wasn't there initially and they talked her into an alignment, fine, but when she got a nail in one of them a few weeks later, they tried talking us into another alignment. That's completely ridiculous, unless she had popped the tire hitting a curb hard or something.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Negative camber is not a real tire killer, its toe being out of spec that generally causes that wear.

Id have an alignment done
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (09-01-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I always ask them to check alignment, which should be free or very low cost.

I usually have the alignment set on my car to maximize tire life. Truth is, this setup is the least best for cornering and handling, but would you notice, really? I mean I can track my car with this street setup and the driver is still the limiting factor on the track, not the car. I’ve got 12,000 miles on my tires, and the rears are probably 1/2 worn. I don’t have any cornering issues and can take turns very fast, highway ramps very fast, etc.

So to me, the $100-ish alignment check always pays for itself in my mind.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Porsches tend to have more negative camber per specification - it is a sports car after all. If you feel that you're wearing out the insides of your rear tires too much, have your shop dial back on some of the negative camber a bit. You might end up with less cornering capability but that may, or may not bother you.
Fully aware. My Porsche mechanic also shared when the car rolls out of the manufacturing plant the rear coils settle after time and the result is a bit more negative camber at the rear tires. This was the case on my car with an end result of more inner wear on my rear tires. The as found rear alignment was -2.1 where the factory max for non-tracking is -1.8. I instructed my mechanic to adjust the rears to factory specs at the max -1.8 camber because I desired the cornering advantage.

Hunter Alignment Rack
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need two new tires because of age (tiny crack issues at the outside edge, no uneven wear), the dealer wants to do alignment with the new tires, the cost of alignment is $270, I find it high or I am mistaken it is a reasonable price to do alignment for Porsche car?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
I need two new tires because of age (tiny crack issues at the outside edge, no uneven wear), the dealer wants to do alignment with the new tires, the cost of alignment is $270, I find it high or I am mistaken it is a reasonable price to do alignment for Porsche car?
That's not a bad price for a dealership alignment.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:42 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Tirerack is your cost benchmark. Many dealers will be very close to that if you push them.

Personally I let the dealer do mine. It ends up being about $50 a corner above the local discount guy but I pay that as my 'tax' to get it done right.

I think many dealers have actually become quite competitive. I recently did all 4 on my daily driver BMW and the dealer was a few bucks away from the discount guys. Throw in a loaner and the ease of just letting them do it is worth the tax for me.
Just be careful.

Years ago, I brought my lowly 996 c2 in for service and they gave me a 997 cpo tt as a loaner. They were waiting for me when I returned. I opened the door and said “you bastards”. Everyone laughed and I traded the 996 in.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Few months and 4 visits to the dealer, plus $325, and I finally had the tire change sorted out!
Visit 1 resulted in new rubber, silver weights on black rims and glue residue left behind from old weights.
Visit 2 - to remove residue and complain about silver weights somewhat successful. Black weights ordered, glue still there.
Visit 3 - somewhat angry, with CA pacifying me and scrubbing the glue off while rebalancing/installing black weights.
Visit 4 - still more glue, turns out I lost a weight and a whole new rebalancing had to be performed.

I'm gonna start looking for a good independent shop. This after realizing during a DIY oil change about a week ago that the drain plug had been terribly over torqued by said dealer, from last year's oil change. Thankfully I had spares.
Very very disappointed with the dealer service...and made sure the Porsche Customer Relations heard all about it.

So choose your service location wisely...
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about if there is only one dealer in town,
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

How about if there is only one dealer in town,
I'd ship the wheels/tires to a reputable Indy before settling for a lousy local dealer. Even if it costs me more, I will not let my car get butchered anymore.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Anyone think that RWS wears the rear tires more?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

That is a fair price. My mechanic stated before performing the alignment he would put the car on the rack to verify the as found alignment for a minimal charge. It the alignment was out of specs at my approval he would align the wheels for the going rate which is approximately what you were quoted.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Looking to get new tires for my '17 CPO 991.2. Car is new to me, purchased in June with 19K, now with almost 22K. Stock (?) Pirelli Pzeros are worn in rear and soon to be at the limit for replacement. I'm going to do the fronts as well since I am moving to Michelin PS4S all around. Tires will be ordered direct from Tirerack.

Would you do an alignment in this case?

I am thinking yes since the car is unknown to me, just to get a baseline. Also, any things I need to know about the 991.2 in terms of things to replace? Rubber or Metal valve stems? Is there a TPMS "kit" I need to pay for for each tire?

I had my last set of PS4S done at a local TireKingdom in Palm Harbor for my '14 Cayman S. No issues. Job was handled well, reasonable price, 6 month alignment was $100 or so, mounting and balancing not much more. I'm wondering about doing the same assuming a 991.2 is not a million miles away from a 981 in terms of tire fitment, but "I don't know what I don't know" as they say.

I'm also going to call my local dealer (Reeves Tampa) for a quote next week. I know the job would be done right but I also am expecting the price to include the Porsche Tax.

Thanks, any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 09-02-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Do I need alignment with every tire change ?