Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Does the 911T make a good track car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1141747-does-the-911t-make-a-good-track-car.html)

snake eyes 05-06-2019 03:28 PM

Does the 911T make a good track car?

911 T owners, does the 911T make a good HPDE track car?
Can the stock brakes hold up for a 20 minute session? - and track days of course-
Do the fluid temperatures remain in check?

Is it faster than the 991.1S around the track?

I'm asking because I'm looking to trade my 991.1S (or just get extended warranty 991.1S and get a 992 down the road)
Note: I'm not looking to spend GT car money.
Looking at tracking 911 a few times throughout the year (every year of ownership) and enjoy back-roads. (not looking for a daily commuter)

yes I've driven one on the "street" enjoyed it.

3Series 05-06-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by snake eyes (Post 15822121)
911 T owners, does the 911T make a good HPDE track car?
Can the stock brakes hold up for a 20 minute session? - and track days of course-
Do the fluid temperatures remain in check?

Is it faster than the 991.1S around the track?

I'm asking because I'm looking to trade my 991.1S (or just get extended warranty 991.1S and get a 992 down the road)
Note: I'm not looking to spend GT car money.
Looking at tracking 911 a few times throughout the year (every year of ownership) and enjoy back-roads. (not looking for a daily commuter)

yes I've driven one on the "street" enjoyed it.

Brake Calipers and Rotors are fine. Once you are fast, you'll need race pads and higher temp brake fluid for S or T.
Is it faster, that depends on the track. If the track is short with more corners, the T with RAS would probably be faster. If it's a track with a lot of long straights the higher HP of the 991.1 might be faster.

Greg D. 05-06-2019 05:12 PM

Every Porsche sports car ever made makes a good track car. That's what separates Porsche from BMW and Mercedes and others... Beat them up on the week end, drive them to work on monday. They don't care. They often run better, in fact.

The only time I overheated a bit was a 105F day in California with a no-front-fan-cooler aircooled car. The only time I ever had brake issues was the one time I assumed new fluid on a new-to-me car (it was old).

Is it faster than....? Nah. There's always someone faster. Last PCA events I did, it was 70% GT3 and RS. There's always someone with a bigger gun, or fatter wallet, or more talent. Don't sweat it, you won't be a mobile chicane if that's your worry, have fun - a T is a great car, and you the driver account for 90% of the performance anyway.

Rennolazine 05-06-2019 07:12 PM

Same driver, i would put $10 on a 991.2 base over a 991.1 s. All day

911-TOUR 05-06-2019 11:44 PM

If max speed on the track is less than 115-120 mph, I'd bet the CT with RAS is faster for the same driver. Brakes will hold up fine for normal DE sessions, be sure to cool them down properly.

The most important thing though is that CT on a track is really a lot of fun - not too much to handle, and a *great* chassis setup out of the box - comparing factory-to-factory the chassis setup is easily better in the CT. I'm sure aftermarket setup can compensate with some careful tuning.

What I usually tell friends who are getting serious about track time is this (which I learned from a friend myself): If you want to go fast, get a Radical. If you want to have fun and be a better driver - start with a well sorted 911 and learn to drive it well. I'm still working on #2 :-)

sean

ipse dixit 05-06-2019 11:47 PM

You need to upgrade the brakes.

Stock OEM iron rotors will not last you even one session at HPDE.

PCA1983 05-06-2019 11:55 PM

Back to the OP.
Talking 991.2's, my PDK C2S with X51 PowerKit leaves CT's behind and even creeps away from GTS in the straights. Yes, I have PSE, SC, RAS, PDCC and SPASM. 22% more HP and 23% more torque than a CT, and slightly less weight and lower drag coefficient that a GTS.

John Mclane 05-07-2019 12:00 AM

I left a 991.1S to a base 991.2
More power where the turbo counts. Long straights the .1 catch's up.
The breaks are inadequate to say the least. Using yellow pagids and SRF fluid helps. I used up to the discs look bad enough and went to girodisc. There's an issue with cooling the discs on the base model. Some add cooling ducts from the GT3. The standard S brakes are excellent.
Also, the S comes with LSD, I don't know about the T. It does make some difference on track duties. LSD and Brakes are my only regret.

Overall, the S is excellent for track days with less fuss. It's not simple, easy or cheap to properly modify a 911 for the track. There's always something "needed".
Just my 2c

phefner 05-07-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rennolazine (Post 15822670)
Same driver, i would put $10 on a 991.2 base over a 991.1 s. All day

^ Spot-On. Especially with RAS, it is a real leap forwarrd.

Don't get all tight about needing a GTS, GT3, etc... for HPDEs. I've seen base Carrera's fitted with Cup 2's be extremely competitive in any run group. It was kinda funny at a recent PCA where one of the fastest in an intermediate run group was a base 997. Kid you not. He had Cup 2's on his base Carrera. Showed up with wife, 2 kids, and his dog, in his base 997. And they were fast. Both husband and wife. The wife ran in my group, and passed many.

Get the car you can afford. Times are about lines. Your only racing yourself. Non of these HPDE's have the "Mulsanne Straight" of LeMans, so raw hp is a little less important.

IMHO.

DanQ 05-07-2019 12:21 AM

Your 991.1s has better brakes than the T. I wouldn't "upgrade" to newer car unless it has optional pccb brakes.

Norge911 05-07-2019 08:57 AM

Yes and here are my advice,
Green or blue driver- change brake fluid to SRF or similar and good to go
Yellow or white/red - change pads, braided brake lines, change rotors (not necessary but saves money long run). Consider a second set of rims with cup 2 tires or similar. The Michelin 4S tires will chunk after 2-3 track days. Otherwise car is a good fun car to drive to track, drive fast and go to work in on Monday.

If you are a good fast driver you may find the following shortcomings; soft front springs, can’t add enough camber, no adjustments to sway bars, plus the brakes and tires above. Also engine don’t have a oil defoamer and oil system may not be as good as a GT3 so may need to limit track session duration and be cautious during hot days.

The T with shorter gearing and shorther shifter for manual and mechanical diff makes it a very good and fun track car despite the short comings mentioned above.
the T has very good cooling brake cooling ducts. Shouldn’t need more.

snake eyes 05-07-2019 09:38 AM

Good feedback, some conflicting comments.- just clarifying
- Are the stock brake ducts on the T the same as the 991.1S? - I currently have no brake cooling issues and no fade issues (didn't need stainless lines, I just use good DOT4 brake fluid)
- I'm aware what Tires can do, I run Bridgestone RE-71R's for track days.
- Are the 911 T Brake Calipers the same as the 991.1S?
- I do not want to use PCCB - YOU DON'T WANT THEM ON A TRACK CAR-
- Can You put X51 Powerpack on a 911T (incase you want to)?

- Is it really an upgrade over a 991.1S?
Can you Feel the weight difference?

Thinking I might just get extended warranty.... and wait for the 992 generation to come out in numbers.

-

Norge911 05-07-2019 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by snake eyes (Post 15823733)
Good feedback, some conflicting comments.- just clarifying
- Are the stock brake ducts on the T the same as the 991.1S? - I currently have no brake cooling issues and no fade issues (didn't need stainless lines, I just use good DOT4 brake fluid) - yes, probably
- I'm aware what Tires can do, I run Bridgestone RE-71R's for track days.
- Are the 911 T Brake Calipers the same as the 991.1S? No, 350 and 6 piston for the S vs 330 And 4 piston for the T.
- I do not want to use PCCB - YOU DON'T WANT THEM ON A TRACK CAR-
- Can You put X51 Powerpack on a 911T (incase you want to)? No, only S and GTS can upgrade with X51

- Is it really an upgrade over a 991.1S? No as long as the S comes with limited slip. So make sure the S is optioned with limited slip as most are not
Can you Feel the weight difference? No

Thinking I might just get extended warranty.... and wait for the 992 generation to come out in numbers.

-

see answers in quote here.

vodkag 05-07-2019 12:48 PM

why wouldnt it be?

pretty much every single car Porsche makes is a good track car....with the SUVs and the pannie as an exception

996AE 05-07-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ipse dixit (Post 15823269)
You need to upgrade the brakes.

Stock OEM iron rotors will not last you even one session at HPDE.

Bold statement!