Sponsored by:

Learning to corner 991.1 s cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:55 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Learning to corner 991.1 s cab

This is my second 911 and I'm still learning to corner. It's a little more of a learning curve with the PDK. I've always driven manuals. I've had 5 m cars and a few DE's.

I've got a favorite 90 degree right hand corner I've been practicing on.

Hard acceleration, late braking hard, downshift to 2nd, front tires fully loaded, forceful pull on steering wheel, squeeze gas too wot.

Sound right?
Old 05-05-2019, 02:20 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Pretty much. Go in fast then modulate brakes to go through the corner at the tires' limits maybe with some drift, then use all the power on way out. You could brake a little less get on the power earlier with AWD.

Tires and brakes get toast pretty quick.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Go to the track, youll learn a lot in 2 days
Old 05-05-2019, 09:31 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Go to the track, youll learn a lot in 2 days
Thx
Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Porschefection
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend some time at a Porsche Experience Center. Some things need to be experienced
Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Did the PEC Atlanta in a PDK C4S, brakes were fantastic and the car was glued to the pavement.

Getting ready to reserve a two-day at the Barber for next month. Really looking forward to that.

The limits available are way impressive.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
This is my second 911 and I'm still learning to corner. It's a little more of a learning curve with the PDK. I've always driven manuals. I've had 5 m cars and a few DE's.

I've got a favorite 90 degree right hand corner I've been practicing on.

Hard acceleration, late braking hard, downshift to 2nd, front tires fully loaded, forceful pull on steering wheel, squeeze gas too wot.

Sound right?
You want to brake hard at the beg of the brake zone and let up as you get to turn in to transfer weight to the back of the car so the car is neutral in the turn in arc and as you hit the apex. Downshift before turn in. It's the opposite of street of driving where you progressively apply more brake. Nothing should be forceful, all smooth. Also, slow in fast out is what you want and get your braking done before turning.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep - brake hard and turn in late to straighten out your exit line allowing for a faster exit and top speed on the straight. Very late apex on a 90 degree turn. Once you are pointed to your apex point I would go WOT. Ie BEFORE the apex. No coasting for me. The weight goes to the rear and provides a great deal of grip and since you have a straighter exit you shouldn't experience any understeer.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Yep - brake hard and turn in late to straighten out your exit line allowing for a faster exit and top speed on the straight. Very late apex on a 90 degree turn. Once you are pointed to your apex point I would go WOT. Ie BEFORE the apex. No coasting for me. The weight goes to the rear and provides a great deal of grip and since you have a straighter exit you shouldn't experience any understeer.
Technically, you shouldn't be WOT until after the apex and after transitioning the car from neutral balance. After the apex you roll on the throttle, don't stab at it, so the wheel can unwind. You should be at full throttle right after the steering wheel is done unwinding at track out. Or at the gutter of the street the OP is going to be practicing this at....LOL
Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I did a car control school this weekend with the local PCA chapter (LSRPCA). Getting the car on a skidpad is very eye opening. I finally understand what pro drivers mean by "steer the car with the throttle" now when talking about the 911. It was a lot of fun & highly recommended, even if you've done track driving before... and I get an insurance discount for it.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into a DE or car control class to take over the summer.

One thing I want to confirm, don't lift off gas or brake mid corner?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into a DE or car control class to take over the summer.

Smoothly modulate either. You really want to be off the brake before you turn into the corner so the car is settled, and then smoothly on the gas, gradually increasing as you pass apex until full throttle as the wheel straightens; you can use the gas pedal to modulate the steering angle without moving the wheel. You do these things harder & faster depending on your speed, but always smoothly. Stabbing either is a good way to get in bad shape.

At least this is my belief based on my limited HPDE experience. Interested to hear other takes.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

If you go into a corner a little hot, lift and report back to us! Pics would be great!

J/K, unless you want to track out with the rear of the car leading you....

Seriously, most novices can't feel the limit of the car's grip. In most cases , you'll think you entered a corner a little hot and want to lift/brake. Do the opposite and maintain/apply throttle, chances are the car will have enough grip and you'll make the turn. If you lift the car could rotate and that's bad. However, as a novice you may not be going fast enough and the car won't rotate but the rear end will wiggle a bit and you'll be fine cause the nannies will kick in.

If you are at the limit, lifting will rotate the car and you will spin. If you maintain throttle, the front tires will exceed the friction circle and you will slide off track into the runoff area which is better than spinning and losing control of the car.

Quick Reply: Learning to corner 991.1 s cab