Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   New 991.2 arrived with scratch in glass. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1140946-new-991-2-arrived-with-scratch-in-glass.html)

AndyBB 04-30-2019 05:34 PM

New 991.2 arrived with scratch in glass.

Well my new 991.2 arrived a bit early but dealer found a scratch in the drivers side glass that needs replaced. Glad they found it while doing the tint but should I be worried about rattles and door trim issues since they will need to take the door apart to change the glass?
Little bummed I am starting with a hiccup with my first 911.

Icebreaker 04-30-2019 05:58 PM

Congrats on your first Porsche. Don't worry about replacing the window... the door panels, window mechanism and attachment points are solid. You will be driving it shortly and the memory of the glass replacement will be a distant forgotten memory. You will also quickly learn to love the car. I don't know why, but every person who has or has had a 911 experiences joy. I wish you much joy with your new car. Safe travels and post pictures! Cheers.

AndyBB 04-30-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Icebreaker (Post 15809465)
Congrats on your first Porsche. Don't worry about replacing the window... the door panels, window mechanism and attachment points are solid. You will be driving it shortly and the memory of the glass replacement will be a distant forgotten memory. You will also quickly learn to love the car. I don't know why, but every person who has or has had a 911 experiences joy. I wish you much joy with your new car. Safe travels and post pictures! Cheers.

Thanks and good to hear, I know some plastic parts and tabs don't like to be removed and reused on some cars. I hope I do love it as I am trading in my Macan GTS that I love also but was just missing that sports car feel. The Macan is a hoot to drive and has no right to handle as well as it does will be bitter sweet letting her go.

DerekS 04-30-2019 07:40 PM

In my experience, a good Porsche service shop will replace any clips that break during disassembly. I wouldn't worry about this even a little bit. Be glad they are proactively handling the repair!

Bob Z. 04-30-2019 08:07 PM

Look at it this way: if you start get rattles from the driver's door you can tell them where to start looking! Personally, better for them to find/fix that you a few days later. And I will be looking for pics soon...welcome.

bkrantz 04-30-2019 10:44 PM

Current 991 door panel and trim pieces are pretty fool-proof, and attachments are strong.

AndyBB 04-30-2019 10:47 PM

Good to hear, sounds like I don’t have much to worry about.

AndyBB 05-04-2019 02:15 AM

I picked up the car last night and noticed a rattle that was not there before the window was replaced, going to work this morning I narrowed it down to the top of the door panel in the middle also could see a bunch of defects (bumps) under the new window film. Called the dealer and they took it in at lunch gave me a loaner and had it all fixed by the end of the day. Replaced the film and fixed a clip that was not seating properly. Little bit of a pain but hope it’s all good now.

AndyBB 05-18-2019 02:10 AM

Found scratches in the rear glass now as well.

While waxing the car last weekend I noticed a series of scratches at the bottom of the rear glass as well, some deep enough to catch your fingernail . Dealer had his glass guy look to see if he could polish out and he did not think it would be a good idea and glass needs to be replaced. My concern is a replacement will never be as good an install as factory and may end up with creaking or squeaking over bumps etc. anyone replaced the rear glass and were there any issues?

Dealer thinks it may have been the tint guy as he was not their usual installer or it could have happened in transit. They are right at the bottom in the blacked out border so I will only see them when I am washing the car, can’t see from the inside.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Bob Z. 05-18-2019 09:45 AM

If you only see it when washing the car I would leave it alone, but ask the dealer for something else in compensation.

AndyBB 05-18-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15849196)
If you only see it when washing the car I would leave it alone, but ask the dealer for something else in compensation.

If you get close and look for them you can see them , about 1-2 inches long but you have to be looking for them I suspect. I know they are there but someone walking up may never notice.