Sponsored by:

Need help choosing between GTS options

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:45 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Need help choosing between GTS options

So i've decided on a .2 GTS(pre owned) and found 2 cars to choose from. Both are amazing machines and i'm sure i'll be beyond happy with either one but wanna to make sure i'm choosing the better option and so i'm hoping some of the more knowledgable Porsche owners can help. Both cars priced about the same though one is used and the other new. I personally love the exterior color of one(pre owned in chalk color) but prefer the alcantara interior of the other one which is new white car. Here are both window stickers. I'm leaning towards one over the other but would love to hear some thoughts.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

The 14-way vs 18-way seats are the most important thing I'd consider. There are a lot of people who really, really prefer one over the other - if you are one of those people you will regret getting the seats that you find less comfortable.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

I honestly can't say if it'll matter to me as I haven't sat in both and compared but being that this would be a weekend car and my drives would generally be short i don't think it'll be a concern for me. I will stop at a local dealer and sit in both to compare. My main concern are packages that would make any performance differences.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Another vote for figuring out which seat type you prefer. I tested both for quite a while at a dealership and discovered that I couldn’t get comfortable in the 14 way seats. Others have the exact opposite preference.

But it if you like the 14 ways, then Chalk w/leather interior would be my choice. Chalk 911s are quite beautiful.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
The 14-way vs 18-way seats are the most important thing I'd consider. There are a lot of people who really, really prefer one over the other - if you are one of those people you will regret getting the seats that you find less comfortable.
this ^
Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Buy the new one - they are both going to perform remarkably well. Both beautiful cars.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If you had sat in both types of seats to begin with you would not have started this thread...that is how different the seats feel. Be sure to let us know which one you select and in your free time start reading threads in this forum since you will learn a lot and get a lot of ideas for when the modding begins.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Am I wrong to be concerned about the one having front axle lift and rear axle steering? I have no plans on tracking the car so I don't think the rear axle steering will make a difference and I also plan on lowering it a bit, will the front axle lift be a necessity?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Search this forum on RAS - I do not track my GTS but find it awesome. FAL on the otherhand is not needed unless you have a steep driveway, etc. Again, search on them both here and you will get more opinions that you want.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:48 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.. both great options (aside from the fact that they're PDK ). I'm a sucker for the chalk (I have a 2019 GTS in Chalk.. manual :P, so I'm biased), but looking at the specs it seems like the chalk is a much better deal (RAS + FAL for another 4K). Of course that assumes no negotiation, which there's always room for and you'll typically be able to push much harder on a used model (the dealer's margin is likely a lot more). That said, you don't actually need either of these options, but I do kinda wish I had RAS (I didn't spec it).

The big problem for me would be the seats. I have the 18-way and am super happy with them. I haven't driven any distance in a 14-way but I've heard they're not as forgiving. If you're OK with the 14-way, I think the chalk is the obvious choice to me (alcantara will tend not to wear as well, even though it seems like a good idea), and I get a LOT of compliments on my GTS due to the chalk.. if you care about that.

At the end of the day, they're both awesome and you could flip a coin and you won't be disappointed. I would just try to test drive the two seat variants if possible before final decision.

Also.. taco in red? ew.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:12 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for pointing out the seat concerns, It never even crossed my mind as I assumed Porsche wouldn't even offer uncomfortable seats incurs at these levels. Will definitely sit in both to compare.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:13 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eysa
Thanks everyone for pointing out the seat concerns, It never even crossed my mind as I assumed Porsche wouldn't even offer uncomfortable seats incurs at these levels. Will definitely sit in both to compare.
They are made for different body types, and maybe physical ability, or lack there of. Some people love the 14 ways so again, you need to try them yourself.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:09 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

18 way for me better. Chalk is a super nice color. Front axle kit is a pass for me. RAS could be nice but its not a necessity.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 AM
Meeper
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's funny, I test drove two GTS similar to your two this week: a new White one and a pre-owned one in Chalk.

The Chalk one had GTS interior package like your white one and I really liked the red deviated stitching on against the black interior and the GTS logo on the headrest. That package comes with the red tac which I also thought was ew initially but it grew on me. It also had the 18 way seats which I thought were more comfortable than the 14 way in the White one, but I was only driving for 15-20 min in each so not a true enough test. When I was coming up with my dream spec it had FAL but after seeing it in person I've changed my thinking from "must have" to "optional" because it only raises it about an inch or so and I figured it wasn't worth being a blocker.

The other thing that was a surprise to me was how different the colors were. In some photos, to me Chalk seems to be just slightly off white, but side by side with White they are very different. See this pic that I took at the dealership for a side-by-side. Personally, I originally wanted white, but Chalk is really sweet in person and more unique.

Anyway, seems like the prevailing comments are that seats are all important and I just wanted to chip in with some other bits. At the end of the day when you're behind the wheel and stomp on the pedal it's all grins and you can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

white one

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between GTS options