Sponsored by:

991 brake query

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 brake query

Guys - I have a gen1 991 C4S manual with just under 16k miles. It has a FSH and was last serviced about 5 months ago which included a brake fluid change. The car also had new discs and pads fitted all round about 2k miles ago when I bought it, and has been carefully driven since then. Recently however I noticed that sometimes on starting it up and moving off, the brake pedal feels a bit more solid than normal when applied. The car when allowed to freewheel also appears to come to a halt sooner than normal, though there is no sense of the brakes dragging or overheating. This is all intermittent and on other occasions, there is no sense of this and the car appears to be running well at all times. Was just wondering if this is some form of anomaly or quirk that is all part of owning a 991. Grateful for any thoughts or advice. Many thanks!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I have owned two 991.1's and never experienced what you are describing in a combined use of 33k miles. If rotors and pads were changed at 14k miles, especially rotors - this car may have been tracked regularly. That in and of itself does not mean anything, however it is possible that the caliper piston dust boots have been cooked. This prevent the pistons from retracting back into the caliper fully. Another possible cause is a warped rotor from excessive heat. While no one can say for sure, I would have the brakes inspected. Some thing is not quite right here.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:12 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Agree. Something is definitely fishy about rotors and pads being changed that early.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:59 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update guys - Porsche have told me that the problem lies with the actual brake pedal. Apparently there are nylon bushes on the pedal arm that expand when the cabin temperature reaches a certain level, that can cause the pedal to stick in the depressed position thus causing a drag on the brakes. On that occasion, they just asked that I monitor it. It happened me again yesterday however (quite a hot afternoon) and this time after a few miles, I got a yellow warning light relative to the AWD, PSM and Stop/start systems shutting down. I contacted the dealer again and this time got a different staff member. As soon as I mentioned the brake pedal issue and warning lights, the staff member called out the warnings to me. He stated that he had seen this happen before on Boxsters though not so much on 911s. Apparently the car senses that there is some drag on the brakes and starts shutting some systems down. Just a pity the previous guy had not been as thorough, or that Porsche are nor addressing this more proactively. Anyway Porsche have picked up the car and are going to replace the bushes under warranty. Hopefull this will solve it!

Quick Reply: 991 brake query