Sponsored by:

Xenon to led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 AM
Dtkf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon to led headlights

Hi guys. I bought my car with the xenon headlights. Been thinking to switch to the led. Is it possible?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

According to suncoast porsche website its not possible to upgrade to LED. Im sure someone did it anyway, but its expensive (and i bet not simple either).
Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is possible!! we did it on a Macan. it needs the Dynamic headlight system
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM
cdown007
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding to the thread, I would be curious if we can switch to LED bulbs? Going to Xenon website - which I am under the impression is the 991 headlight system - they only have LED replacement bulbs, Would this be viable? We can already replace most of T10 bulbs through out the car with LED without any modification, would this work the same?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Camera and all for the Active High Beams? I love my LEDs with PDLS Plus. Money well spent on my 2014 build, and now almost 6 driving seasons later, my headlight's technology is still very relevant.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Dtkf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may i know what part is needed? and how much it cost? :P
Old 04-19-2019, 12:03 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Not sure if making the swap on a Macan is relevant to the 991.

I want it to be an option for the 991, but everything I've found online says otherwise. Per multiple sources, the electrical connectors are different depending on how the 991 was originally optioned. This surprised me, because it means the wiring harness would have a different part number, in addition to the headlight housing (and internals). But then again, Porsche certainly has the margin to absorb that type of inefficiency.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Tecni
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m sure if this were VWVortex somebody would have already figured out how to retrofit the LED headlights.
Too few 911 owners willing to modify their cars I suppose.

I’d love to do this mod though...
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Add me to the list wanting to make the switch. I have read online that it can be done and requires some sort of reprogramming, but I know I read somewhere that it can be done.
I have also seen a thread (maybe on RL) of people removing the headlights and changing the Xenons to a whiter version that looks more LED and is brighter, but not an actual LED bulb..

Count me in.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beaudawg
Not sure if making the swap on a Macan is relevant to the 991.

I want it to be an option for the 991, but everything I've found online says otherwise. Per multiple sources, the electrical connectors are different depending on how the 991 was originally optioned. This surprised me, because it means the wiring harness would have a different part number, in addition to the headlight housing (and internals). But then again, Porsche certainly has the margin to absorb that type of inefficiency.
I am not sure if is this relevant either just saying..
Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Add me to the list wanting to make the switch. I have read online that it can be done and requires some sort of reprogramming, but I know I read somewhere that it can be done.
I have also seen a thread (maybe on RL) of people removing the headlights and changing the Xenons to a whiter version that looks more LED and is brighter, but not an actual LED bulb..

Count me in.
I changed to 6000k bulbs from the OE 4300k, but it's actually a reduction in brightness. Just looks whiter/slight blue tinge. I did it for aesthetics only.

Would love to change to the led lamps but it's a ton of money for the parts and still no clear indication of being able to make these work on cars without PDLS
Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by koala
I changed to 6000k bulbs from the OE 4300k, but it's actually a reduction in brightness. Just looks whiter/slight blue tinge. I did it for aesthetics only.

Would love to change to the led lamps but it's a ton of money for the parts and still no clear indication of being able to make these work on cars without PDLS
From my experience with a Macan, it needs PDLS to make the conversion.. Call Suncoast and ask them

Quick Reply: Xenon to led headlights