Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.1 Bore Scoring (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1138984-991-1-bore-scoring.html)

Airbag997 04-24-2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795269)
Oil Analysis is essentially "Tribology" which is a branch of quite many scientific fields such as Chemistry, Engineering, and Physics. Tribology is a highly disciplined quantitative research science. Oil analysis is not spectroscopy. Tribologists use spectrometers and FTIR. Maybe that's what your thinking?

Spectrometry, and spectroscopy are similar but different (apparently). Spectrometry is what I meant.

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795303)
I suggest you read this: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/abou...-oil-analysis/

"Spectral exam:
In the spectral exam, we take a portion of your oil sample and run it through a machine called a spectrometer. The spectrometer analyzes the oil and tells us the levels of the various metals and additives that are present in the oil. This gives us a gauge of how your engine is wearing. To learn more about the elements we look at and where they come from in your oil, go to our Report Explanation page."

Hahaha... You're funny! Did you not read through my reply?

This says nothing about the academic field of science that deals with lubrication. This just proves more of my point that "oil anaylsis" is NOT spectroscopy. That's like saying a Biochemical Analysis is a electrophoresis.

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795321)
Spectrometry, and spectroscopy are similar but different (apparently). Spectrometry is what I meant.

You're getting tangled in your web Airbag.

Oil Analysis comes out of the field of science called "Triobology"! Tribologists use Spectrometers or Spectroscopes. It's an instrument NOT a field of science!

Airbag997 04-24-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795366)
Hahaha... You're funny! Did you not read through my reply?

This says nothing about the academic field of science that deals with lubrication. This just proves more of my point that "oil anaylsis" is NOT spectroscopy. That's like saying a Biochemical Analysis is a electrophoresis.

Oil analysis is Spectrometry, using a spectrometer. Semantics wrt spectroscopy vs spectrometry IMO.

From wikipedia

"Spectroscopy and spectrography are terms used to refer to the measurement of radiation intensity as a function of wavelength and are often used to describe experimental spectroscopic methods. Spectral measurement devices are referred to as spectrometers, spectrophotometers, spectrographs or spectral analyzers."

Airbag997 04-24-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795373)
You're getting tangled in your web Airbag.

Oil Analysis come out of the field of science called "Triobology"! Tribologists use Spectrometers or Spectroscopes. It's an instrument NOT a field of science!

Tribology, is NOT oil analysis, not in the context of this discussion. It is the study of friction, wear, lubrication, and the design of bearings; the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion, but thanks for playing "Professor"...

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795382)
Tribology, is NOT oil analysis, not in the context of this discussion. It is the study of friction, wear, lubrication, and the design of bearings; the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion, but thanks for playing "Professor"...

Airbag - don't flush all hope down the toilet for youself. I know you're scrambling around with Google and Wikipedia at the moment to try to cover your tracks and not look so stupid.

Please stop the madness! Get off the internet and go pick up a normal phone. Call ALS global and find someone that is willing to explain the science of Tribology to you and how it relates to oil industry.

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro (Post 15793301)
Used oil analysis is only as good as the lab that is used. Blackstone's unit averages and commentary lead people to believe their engines are ok when in fact, they aren't.

That's a great point! The average person is not going to know all the quantitative measurements contained within the UOA; therefore, they rely heavily on the commentary to make future judgement calls about their engine. If the commentary is too broad and doesn't apply specifically to the engine, then it's a good chance the problem will be ignored.

Airbag997 04-24-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795404)
Airbag - don't flush all hope down the toilet for youself. I know you're scrambling around with Google and Wikipedia at the moment to try to cover your tracks and not look so stupid.

Please stop the madness! Get off the internet and go pick up a normal phone. Call ALS global and find someone that is willing to explain the science of Tribology to you and how it relates to oil industry.

"Tribology includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear."

Airbag997 04-24-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795404)

You're the very definition of simple-minded. If the cylinder is scoring the only way to determine would be from spectrometry (which is a field of science professor) to determine the content of materials/metals in the oil. This is a STATIC test of the oil, and since RELATIVE MOTION does not apply, neither does Tribology. Viscosity test, yes, tribology applies, but not bore scoring and spectrometry.

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795452)
"Tribology includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear."

Ah, this is better. I know Wikipedia is your current lil' friend, but let's take this a little farther shall we?

Repeat after me...

Oil Anaylsis is not Spectroscopy. (repeat)

Oil Anaylsis is not Spectrometry (repeat)

Oil Anaylsis is not Spectrometer (repeat)

Oil Anaylsis is not Screwdriver (repeat)

Oil Anaylsis is not Kermit the frog (repeat)

Oil Anaylsis is not unicorn (repeat)

An Oil Analysis is a study that comes from the science of Tribology. (repeat)

Yay!!! You got it now!

visitador 04-24-2019 12:01 PM

Only one person post about cylinder scoring and the rest is about expert opinion on oil lubrications. The 996/997 crowd must be laughing at us

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795499)
You're the very definition of simple-minded. If the cylinder is scoring the only way to determine would be from spectrometry (which is a field of science professor) to determine the content of materials/metals in the oil. This is a STATIC test of the oil, and since RELATIVE MOTION does not apply, neither does Tribology. Viscosity test, yes, tribology applies, but not bore scoring and spectrometry.

(face palm) Why do I bother?

Airbag, listen. Stop trying to save your ship. Let it sink.

You made a bold statement that "Oil Analysis is Spectroscope". Then you said, "Spectrometry is what I meant"... Therefore, you were basically saying that an "Oil Analysis is Spectrometry".

Now, are you saying spectrometry is an unique academic field of science within itself?

What really is your story??? It keeps changing. Please enlighten us!

Airbag997 04-24-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795538)
(face palm) Why do I bother?

Airbag, listen. Stop trying to save your ship. Let it sink.

You made a bold statement that "Oil Analysis is Spectroscope". Then you said, "Spectrometry is what I meant"... Therefore, you were basically saying that an "Oil Analysis is Spectrometry".

Now, are you saying spectrometry is an unique academic field of science within itself?

What really is your story??? It keeps changing. Please enlighten us!

I admire your passion, but you're losing the context of the discussion in semantics. My story never changed. Spectrometry is a field of science (wikipedia told me so). Only way to determine if material of the cylinder (bore scoring) is in the oil is with a spectrometer, which is the sole portion of the oil analysis report that has forever been in the context of this discussion. Tribology is very macroscopic definition, with little relevance to very the detailed context of this discussion IMO.

When I stated "Oil analysis is spectrometry" I meant "Oil analysis includes spectrometry".

I have to go now. My mommy needs to use the internet, so I have to get off of Wikipedia so I can go chew on tin foil and play with my Velcro shoes. Thanks for the enlightening discourse Nutty, your exemplary knowledge is an inspiration to us all.

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Airbag997 (Post 15795598)
I admire your passion, but you're losing the context of the discussion in semantics. My story never changed. Spectrometry is a field of science (wikipedia told me so). Only way to determine if material of the cylinder (bore scoring) is in the oil is with a spectrometer, which is the sole portion of the oil analysis report that has forever been in the context of this discussion. Tribology is very macroscopic definition, with little relevance to very the detailed context of this discussion IMO.

When I stated "Oil analysis is spectrometry" I meant "Oil analysis includes spectrometry".

I have to go now. My mommy needs to use the internet, so I have to get off of Wikipedia so I can go chew on tin foil and play with my Velcro shoes. Thanks for the enlightening discourse Nutty, your exemplary knowledge is an inspiration to us all.

Look Airbag. I'm here to help you.

You're now making knee jerk reactions because you don't want to look or be wrong. You keep saying something different and now you want to blame it on "semantics". Semantics have no application here, but only prove you're grasping at straws. Now you want to make me think "your story never changed"? Really?

All I tried to do is simply correct your original statement "Oil Analysis is Spectroscopy". That's like saying "Carpentry is hammer" or "Astronomy is Telescope". lol :nono:

Again, an Oil Analysis (especially as it applies on this topic) is a study that comes from the science of Tribology. :thumbup:

You think somehow I've lost the core discussion of bore scoring? :nono: I've been following bore scoring for many years and how it has plagued the M96/M97. Now I notice the 9A1 is wanting to join the party. Yay! Plenty of room for more!

Listen, this thread was moving just fine until you made a blanket statement that "Oil is Spectroscopy" and is "murky" science. Then you say, "oh I meant Oil Analysis is Spectrometry" ... And, then you tried to convince me that Spectrometry is a field of science within itself. :icon501: And finally, you're saying that you REALLY meant... "Oil Analysis includes Spectrometry". (face palm) :confused:

When all else fails, you blame it on semantics. :banghead:

But nothing changed, right?

Airbag997 04-24-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795665)
Look Airbag. I'm here to help you.

You're now making knee jerk reactions because you don't want to look or be wrong. You keep saying something different and now you want to blame it on "semantics". Semantics have no application here, but only prove you're grasping at straws. Now you want to make me think "your story never changed"? Really?

All I tried to do is simply correct your original statement "Oil Analysis is Spectroscopy". That's like saying "Carpentry is hammer" or "Astronomy is Telescope". lol :nono:

Again, an Oil Analysis (especially as it applies on this topic) is a study that comes from the science of Tribology. :thumbup:

You think somehow I've lost the core discussion of bore scoring? :nono: I've been following bore scoring for many years and how it has plagued the M96/M97. Now I notice the 9A1 is wanting to join the party. Yay! Plenty of room for more!

Listen, this thread was moving just fine until you made a blanket statement that "Oil is Spectroscopy" and is "murky" science. Then you say, "oh I meant Oil Analysis is Spectrometry" ... And, then you tried to convince me that Spectrometry is a field of science within itself. :icon501: And finally, you're saying that you REALLY meant... "Oil Analysis includes Spectrometry". (face palm) :confused:

When all else fails, you blame it on semantics. :banghead:

But nothing changed, right?

Ok, got it. Thanks.