Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning 991.1

Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Luyi Chen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning 991.1

My 991.1s got burnt out Jan 26, 2019. After running 6 laps, 2km each lap, flame burst from rear and after another lap the rear bumper is on fire.

I will translate Chinese tmr~ Any advice is appreciated. I am filing a lawsuit against Porsche China and the dealer who did service 2wks before the accident.

Porsche China PR guys claims the GT3 style like bumper blocked heat radiation, which led to fire. However the rear bumper had been installed for more then 2 years and ran for over 10,000km, never had any scorching.

here is the surveilence...

Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,194 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Luyi Chen
My 991.1s got burnt out Jan 26, 2019. After running 6 laps, 2km each lap, flame burst from rear and after another lap the rear bumper is on fire.

I will translate Chinese tmr~ Any advice is appreciated. I am filing a lawsuit against Porsche China and the dealer who did service 2wks before the accident.

Porsche China PR guys claims the GT3 style like bumper blocked heat radiation, which led to fire. However the rear bumper had been installed for more then 2 years and ran for over 10,000km, never had any scorching.

here is the surveilence...

https://youtu.be/UFL4qjFM380
Was this an actual OEM Porsche part?
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Best of luck to you in the effort. I'm no expert but it seems to me that they are using the bumper as a convenient excuse. Please keep us updated as you work through the process; very curious to see how this turns out.

In the US, anyone know if Track Insurance would have covered this?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Luyi Chen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. but has been using for quite a while.
Originally Posted by rk-d
Was this an actual OEM Porsche part?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:14 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What is the basis of the lawsuit? Wrongful incineration? How would you be able to prove what caused the fire?

Most important thing is the driver is unharmed. Burns are no fun.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,194 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Luyi Chen
Nope. but has been using for quite a while.
But not on a track, to be fair.

What actually caught on fire? The bumper?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Did a corner worker throw a meatball flag at you? There seems to be plenty of video with flames on your bumper and disaster could have been mitigated by pulling over and putting out the flame while it was small.
Since the bumper wasn't a Porsche part and they are saying the bumper was the ignition source, I don't see why you would think Porsche would be responsible because the fire started outside of the engine. Engine and exhaust gases are hot. Fires happen on track, it's nothing rare.
Sorry that happened to you.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you sure some OPR didn't get flung up onto exhaust? Non OEM bumper? No fire extinguisher in car? While unfortunate it is partially of risk of driving car on track . Think its going to be tough to prove Porsche was at fault.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Porsche does offer a fire extinguisher as a factory option for a reason. I agree it is odd that you were able to do many laps passing people with your bumper on fire and nobody said a word to alert you.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

deleted prior comments. Sorry about what happened to your car. Glad you are OK.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the aftermarket fire extinguisher options?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

I agree with everyone else - someone must have seen your rear was on fire and should have stopped you earlier - you might have been able to save the car. All in all, it sucks but the good part is that nobody was hurt.

Good luck with lawsuit. However, once you start changing parts and modifying cars, things start to get iffy. Also, once you are on a track, things change even more. Almost everything then becomes "at your risk", I think.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:46 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa991
What are the aftermarket fire extinguisher options?
Seriously? Any fire extinguisher that's rated for car stuff (oil, pant) will work, there are tons of them. Or are you asking for mounting options. Anyway, many ways to skin that cat.

In a situation like the video, a corner work should meatball the driver, the driver should pull into the pits. The corner worker would have already radioed the starter the rear is on fire. The starter or anyone else hanging out in the pits would have an extinguisher and they would put the fire out for you. Then you pull into the paddock, assess the damage and curse.

If you are really flaming on track, the corner worker should red flag you and the course. You stop ASAP and hopefully at that point you smell something, grab the fire extinguisher and get out or you see a worker running towards you waving there hand/arms like a mad person signalling for you to get out.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Seriously? Any fire extinguisher that's rated for car stuff (oil, pant) will work, there are tons of them. Or are you asking for mounting options. Anyway, many ways to skin that cat.

In a situation like the video, a corner work should meatball the driver, the driver should pull into the pits. The corner worker would have already radioed the starter the rear is on fire. The starter or anyone else hanging out in the pits would have an extinguisher and they would put the fire out for you. Then you pull into the paddock, assess the damage and curse.

If you are really flaming on track, the corner worker should red flag you and the course. You stop ASAP and hopefully at that point you smell something, grab the fire extinguisher and get out or you see a worker running towards you waving there hand/arms like a mad person signalling for you to get out.
Yes, seriously. What fire extinguishers and mounts and brackets have members used on their 991’s? You can’t just use any old fire extinguisher.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa991
Yes, seriously. What fire extinguishers and mounts and brackets have members used on their 991’s? You can’t just use any old fire extinguisher.
Rennline makes one for the 991 series.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Fir...E13%2E14%2DH3/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burning 991.1