Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Is the GTS noticeably more comfortable then GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1138531-is-the-gts-noticeably-more-comfortable-then-gt3.html)

Migx27 04-18-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Monetthecat (Post 15777083)
sometimes I think I’m nothing more than an overpriced babysitter.

are you a hospitalist because Im one and i feel exactly like that sometimes. Lol.

rcristobal 04-18-2019 10:23 AM

When I sold my 2013 C2S earlier this year, I was ready to buy 992 and test drove a 991.2 GTS. Comfy yes like my Carrera but no GT3. I just wanted a different driving experience. No regrets but is not my daily driver. It is rough in stop and go traffic like it can't wait to get out of it's cage. :)

sampelligrino 04-18-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 15782000)
When I drove a 991.2 GTS, the one thing that stood out to me most vs my .1 C2 (aside from the obvious power difference) was how 'luxurious' and comfortable the GTS feels. Definitely not the "raw" feel I considered GTS's of yore. Felt like a velvet glove, in that there's not really that "quirky sports car feel to it. Almost serene in how it just envelopes you in a wave of torque, pretty quiet in 911 standards, yet also exciting in how brutish it can be and how impeccably balanced it is (minus some fairly considerable turbo lag). I felt like I really needed to nail it and feel the massive push of torque, get the rear loose or go fast to truly FEEL it, which is a no no for me as that means it would get me in trouble lol. Personally, I like my 911's rawer, and I have mixed feelings about how coddling it felt for a "GTS," but I felt like I just wanted to keep driving it for a 5 hour long distance trip, it just fits around you very well and I couldn't imagine a better sports car DD to be able to swallow miles and sit through traffic in (maybe a Carrera S? But even then, the GTS interior appointments give it an extra rich feel). Overall an incredibly sophisticated and capable experience, with as odd as it sounds.... a cocktail of serenity and excitement in one package. Those are the words that keep sticking out to me.

Personally, I'd go GT3 without thinking twice or a fraction more than an immediate once, or even a .1 GTS as I like that it's more raucous. But my 911 is purely a pleasure car, so if traffic and DD comes into the equation, it's hard to beat the GTS.

lol I completely disagree but sure you are entitled to your opinion

I have a .1 and .2 putting my money where my mouth is, the .1 has the 3.8L x51 power kit and I have the peon 3.0 TT base motor in the .2 C4. AWD helps but I have enough time behind a wheel of a car to understand the 3.0 motor is beastly and more vicious (choosing my words carefully) compared to the 9A1 3.8 (not even 3.4), especially from 0-5K rpm which is a broad spectrum. And I know what vicious feels like with over 6k miles in my recently departed .2 GT3. The 3.0 turbo motor feels more like the .2 GT3 4.0 from low RPMs than the 3.8L 9A1 engine does, the 3.8L actually has the most "lag" picking up speed and worst throttle sensitivity out of the 3

Sure we can nitpick, 5k to redline at 7.6k with the 3.8 - I think the 3.8 pulls hard and starts to pull more furious at 6k+ as turbo runs out of breath, but IMO the more I see your posts the more I am convinced you are simply going to take a dig at anything turbo, even in subtle ways of calling a GTS luxurious and comfortable car. I dont find my .2 C4 to be a luxurious car and I've driven a .2 GTS, all I found was that it was more performance oriented and sporty than my car!

///Armin 04-18-2019 12:41 PM

I have owned a 991.1 S, 991.1 GTS, 991.1 GT3

GT3 is a car almost every 911 owner lusts after and it's a good idea to get one at some point to experience it but in reality, for most, that are looking for that balanced sports and daily to semi-daily, weekender, GTS hands down is your best option out there. GT3 is a true race car, its not just about the car being comfortable in terms of suspension, there is a lot more to it. Unlike the GTS, when you first get into a GT3, you will notice that the car doesn't immediately warm up so brakes, suspension, transmission, tires... specially in colder temps take a good 15 mins or so after driving to really warm up, brakes specially have no bite at the beginning. The exhaust, at least on the 991.1 GT3, was super quiet unless you were pushing it past 5K RPM, and that's where really you start enjoying the car, you really have to be pushing it to red line to experience what a GT3 can do....and how many people really do that everyday unless you are on a track? in contrast with a GTS, within a few mins you are good to go and you can enjoy the car even at lower RPMs. A lot of people that I see that buy the GT3, end up selling it after a year or so of ownership specially if they previously owned a 911, because they really can't enjoy the car, and since it keeps it's value really well, it's like why not, lets try it...just look at the 991.2 GT3 used market, it's like 80% of people just got it to drive it for a few months to experience it knowing that they couldn't own it long term.

sampelligrino 04-18-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ///Armin (Post 15782670)
GT3 is a car almost every 911 owner lusts after and it's a good idea to get one at some point to experience it but in reality, for most, that are looking for that balanced sports and daily to semi-daily, GTS hands down is your best option out there. GT3 is a true race car, its not just about the car being comfortable, there is a lot more to it. Unlike the GTS, when you first get into a GT3, you will notice that the car doesn't immediately warm up so brakes, suspension, transmission, tires... specially in colder temps take a good 15 mins or so after driving to really warm up, brakes specially have no bite at the beginning. The exhaust, at least on the 991.1 GT3, was super quiet unless you were pushing it past 5K RPM, and that's where really you start enjoying the car, you really have to be pushing it to red line to experience what a GT3 can do....and how many people really do that everyday unless you are on a track? in contrast with a GTS, within a few mins you are good to go and you can enjoy the car even at lower RPMs. A lot of people that I see that buy the GT3, end up selling it after a year or so of ownership specially if they previously owned a 911, because they really can't enjoy the car, and since it keeps it's value really well, it's like why not, lets try it...

spot on as an ex-GT3 owner except I still took a fair loss on mine (but I wanted a quick sale with realistic pricing)

If you can have the GT3 as a fun car in your garage, a 2nd or 3rd sports car, IMO its a must have. If it's your only 911, or your only sports car/fun car, I personally found it wasn't versatile/diverse enough for my tastes. It just wants to be north of 5k RPM on the track or canyons to really squeeze juice out of it, otherwise it just felt like a slightly stiffer more showy 911 that wasn't as comfortable to drive around town in. Mine was PDK so MT can help in the enjoyment factor around town and at lower speeds/RPMs

Avalon911 04-18-2019 05:50 PM

I have a 991.2 C4 GTS PDK and a GT3T. For a DD "in heavy LA traffic" I would most definitely choose a Carrera variant (and a PDK at that). Just my .02

groundhog 04-18-2019 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15782658)
lol ............I have enough time behind a wheel of a car to understand the 3.0 motor is beastly and more vicious (choosing my words carefully) compared to the 9A1 3.8 (not even 3.4), especially from 0-5K rpm which is a broad spectrum. And I know what vicious feels like with over 6k miles in my recently departed .2 GT3. The 3.0 turbo motor feels more like the .2 GT3 4.0 from low RPMs than the 3.8L 9A1 engine does, the 3.8L actually has the most "lag" picking up speed and worst throttle sensitivity out of the 3

This is consistent with my experience :)

Originally Posted by ///Armin (Post 15782670)
....but in reality, for most, that are looking for that balanced sports and daily to semi-daily, weekender, GTS hands down is your best option out there.

Agreed :) - although the difference in times between the GT3 and GTS around a track is down to the driver.

Like yourself, I see a lot of GT3s traded quickly - there are lot of buyers out there that like the badge but don't like the daily reality.

More pertinent, I recently did a run ~800km through backroads in a 991 Series I 3RS (full cage/LWBs) - it was terrible, the suspension simply didn't work well on these particular roads and the cars steering, which is nice and fast for track work, is hopelessly undone on these roads, specifically I had to continuously counter the tendency to tramline (all the time and this was not an alignment related phenomenon).

In fact I would go as far to say the two great "all rounders" built by Porsche are the 981 GTS and the 991 GTS.

Right horse for right course :)

Nathan_ 04-19-2019 06:40 AM

Borrowed a 991.1 GT3 for 2 weeks and used it as a daily, went on to buy a 991.2 Carrera T - the GT3 was just too much for me as a daily, having to slow to use the lift for speed bumps when the T just drives over them, the suspension is much more compliant in the T.

For 10% of my driving the GT3 would be amazing, the way it excites is something else, for the 90% the T is a better car for me. One day I'll earn enough to have a GT3 and a separate daily driver!

Sweeper 04-19-2019 07:43 AM

Buy the GT3, otherwise you will always question the decision and wonder if the gt3 is better. I love mine and ignore the little inherent issues with the stiffly sprung, loud, heavy clutch car.

joerg65 04-19-2019 09:22 AM

I thought I wanted a GTS but when I test drove it I personally found there was a lack of immediacy off the throttle and found the exhaust note to be a bit synthetic. I then ordered (without test driving) a GT3T. It’s an amazing car BUT it needs to be driven at all times. I got the sofas and the ride is firm but not rugged. I use it as a daily drive but I hate being distracted by anything (phone calls, conversations....anything) whilst driving it.
If commuting is a priority over driving, GTS is definitely the way to go. If you have another car to commute in or are totally focused on driving, go with the GT3 - it’s a spectacular car.

K-A 04-19-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15782658)
lol I completely disagree but sure you are entitled to your opinion

I have a .1 and .2 putting my money where my mouth is, the .1 has the 3.8L x51 power kit and I have the peon 3.0 TT base motor in the .2 C4. AWD helps but I have enough time behind a wheel of a car to understand the 3.0 motor is beastly and more vicious (choosing my words carefully) compared to the 9A1 3.8 (not even 3.4), especially from 0-5K rpm which is a broad spectrum. And I know what vicious feels like with over 6k miles in my recently departed .2 GT3. The 3.0 turbo motor feels more like the .2 GT3 4.0 from low RPMs than the 3.8L 9A1 engine does, the 3.8L actually has the most "lag" picking up speed and worst throttle sensitivity out of the 3

Sure we can nitpick, 5k to redline at 7.6k with the 3.8 - I think the 3.8 pulls hard and starts to pull more furious at 6k+ as turbo runs out of breath, but IMO the more I see your posts the more I am convinced you are simply going to take a dig at anything turbo, even in subtle ways of calling a GTS luxurious and comfortable car. I dont find my .2 C4 to be a luxurious car and I've driven a .2 GTS, all I found was that it was more performance oriented and sporty than my car!

Trust me. That’s not intended to be a dig. The GTS felt very coddling to me, not in a “floaty sedan” way, but in a sort of “serene but brutal rocket ship that handles like a scalpel” type of way. It’s hard to explain. Two things contributed to that: turbo lag down low, and a soft exhaust sound at every RPM, upshifts and especially downshifts. My base .1 felt “rough” and rudimentary in almost every way when I got back in it (first time it ever felt “slow” for several minutes as well). The engine barks and screams and sounds metallically mechanical. Is that supposed to be talking up my car? Well, technically speaking it’s not, and Porsche would totally agree as they go through great lengths to make their 911’s more refined AND faster. It just happens to meet my criteria in the sound and throttle response/ascending power curve department (the only things I prefer over the .2 GTS).

The power delivery is vicious on the 9A2 indeed, I drove that GTS hard and got the rear out several times, drove in a way I could never my car, but power isn’t my point at all here, I was speaking on soulfulness which I find the 9A2 lacks. I don’t revere the GT3 because it’s fast, as the GTS is nearly as fast on public roads. But emotively there’s no contest. I couldn’t care less which one of these cars is faster. When I drove and reviewed a 991.2 base I said I felt it reminded me of a shrunken, faster Macan, something a poster here who has a .2 admitted he echoed on his first test drive, and something Motor Trend similarly echoed when they said a 991.1 Turbo felt like a “faster, shrunken Cayenne.”

The power race is simply one I’m not interested in. I’m not kidding when I say the .2 GTS would get me in trouble. I don’t know how you guys don’t fish the rear out constantly and go nuts, it’s so fun to do so (similar with the 718 S which I had for a week). I don’t even want .2 GTS power. A sound I more enjoy is worth the power sacrifice to me when we’re talking cars that already run 12’s and under (that’d change if I tracked I’m sure). What I’m more jealous of is the amazing handling, composure and balance of the GTS.

The 991.2 GTS is probably the best fundamental sports car I’ve driven, minus maybe the low end lag. But for $150K+ (what the one I drove costed) personally, I’d crave the more quirky sense of occasion of the GT3. But that’s also because I don’t DD my 911.
——————

Finally, when I say I believe the 9A1 (pick one) is the most impressive modern motor Porsche has built, I’m using my own criteria for that: More dependable than a GT3. More soulful than a 9A2, and insanely fast for a “run of the mill” N/A motor. One of the fastest N/A cars of all time. And they ‘only’ trap about 3-4 MPH less than equivalent 9A2’s which is remarkable for N/A cars (I know, acceleration times certainly have a more considerable gap). And PERSONALLY, I think the 9A1’s are the best sounding modern Porsche engines, period. It’s an intoxicating sound to me. Kind of old school meets new school. Perhaps even better than the GT3’s under 4-5K RPM’s (GT3 owns everything over 5K). I might like the 3.4 a bit more than the 3.8 even. They’re not as fast as the .2’s, not as soulful as the GT3’s, but *imo* sort of a perfect middle ground.

Hopefully that clears it up. I definitely have a prejudice against turbo cars. I feel everyyyything these days is a 3.0 turbo with the same flat torque curve from 1K RPM’s. It’s great, and you can’t deny the performance and efficiency (the latter why Porsche said they had to move to them in the first place) but I just long for variety again. At least the 9A2 is a flat six though which will always put it in its own spectrum vs other 3.0 6’s.

Marc-911 04-19-2019 11:44 AM

I just purchased a 2018 GTS and can't say enough about it. Reduced the tire pressure to the comfort level and the ride / traction is much better.

PCA1983 04-19-2019 01:08 PM

Yes. Comfort to me means have a PDK coupe with a sunroof, full leather interior with ventilated leather seats, and being able to soften the suspension at the touch of a button for rough roads, bridges and brick streets. Bose when i want it. Keyless entry. Parking sensors and backup cam. LCA/LKA is nice too. And plenty of grunt at 3000 rpm when driving in traffic in manual mode. Saw a GTS last week with MSRP of nearly $159k, that looked really comfortable to me.

What is your definition of comfort? That should guide you, if comfort is a priority.

Porsche911GTS'16 04-19-2019 03:39 PM

K-A - Eloquently said, my NA brother from another mother. :rockon:

Bobby 911 04-19-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut (Post 15779032)
Try it on the roads of LA, currently 3rd worst in the country behind SF and San Jose. Here's a fun little stretch of Mulholland I bent a wheel and control arm on a few years back. The 405 sucks, the 110 sucks the 10 sucks, the 5 sucks. All the surface streets suck. I got my wife into a base model CX5 with the smaller diameter wheels, because the taller sidewalls are needed to deal with all the potholes without getting a flat or bending a wheel.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...66ab409463.jpg

Yowza we have roads like that here, too.