Sponsored by:

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
Thank you everyone for your well wishes!

I have an update - unfortunately PCNA has declined to participate in the repair. My dealer has graciously offered to help me out by cutting $3K from the price, but I'm still out of pocket $13K

I just posted an article to Medium about the debacle which I'm also planning to tweet to PCNA - if you read it, I hope you enjoy!

https://medium.com/@abhi.kutnikar/br...e-7010fce2991f

Will also keep everyone posted on if tweeting them directly changes anything. Thanks for your support!
Shame on Porsche for not stepping up!!
I hope you find an independent shop to fix the transmission. I'm sorry to hear about your debacle and the illegal transfer of wealth that Porsche post-warranty work is equivalent of!

PCNA ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 917 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Also......$1k in taxes????????????? Holy moly!
Sales tax = 8-9% so not that surprising on an 11k part.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Sales tax = 8-9% so not that surprising on an 11k part.
Wow, that's kind of high!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

That really sucks, but I cannot say I am that surprised. Porsche should know that a little bit of good will goes a long way. They must know that these kind of PDK failures are not isolated, which may be why they are not good willing to fix it. If they good will one, they have to good will all. Wait until social media gets a hold of this one. If it catches fire, Porsche will wish they had fixed it!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 917 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
Thank you everyone for your well wishes!

I have an update - unfortunately PCNA has declined to participate in the repair. My dealer has graciously offered to help me out by cutting $3K from the price, but I'm still out of pocket $13K

I just posted an article to Medium about the debacle which I'm also planning to tweet to PCNA - if you read it, I hope you enjoy!

https://medium.com/@abhi.kutnikar/br...e-7010fce2991f

Will also keep everyone posted on if tweeting them directly changes anything. Thanks for your support!
Sucks, and sorry to hear, I also came from an E92 335i, albeit super modified. It was the most unreliable thing on earth, probably due to all my mods LOL. Not sure who your SA is at Burlingame Porsche, but I have been going through Chris over the past year for my 991 and he's been great. I recently had a transmission replaced as well, but mine is a manual, and thankfully I had CPO, which just expired last month. eeeek

Keep us posted and let us know if you find an Indy shop that can make these repairs. I would def buzz up that shop I posted above that sells PDK parts, there is a good chance they will know the likely cause and maybe point you to a productive direction.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i would seriously expect PCNA to come through with 50-75% of the cost to address this on a sub-40k-mile car. It's not as though it could even be user error with a PDK.
^this

Seriously.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:22 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

sad

sorry to hear this.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

sorry to hear this, well written article - hope it gains traction!
Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I read your note on medium. Very well written and the proper position to take. Don't get angry instead use your dollars and your influence to show displeasure.
I hope you get consideration from Porsche and I do believe a phone call direct or email is the next step.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Good article. Porsche needs to step up with a reasonable solution.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Sucks, and sorry to hear, I also came from an E92 335i, albeit super modified. It was the most unreliable thing on earth, probably due to all my mods LOL. Not sure who your SA is at Burlingame Porsche, but I have been going through Chris over the past year for my 991 and he's been great. I recently had a transmission replaced as well, but mine is a manual, and thankfully I had CPO, which just expired last month. eeeek

Keep us posted and let us know if you find an Indy shop that can make these repairs. I would def buzz up that shop I posted above that sells PDK parts, there is a good chance they will know the likely cause and maybe point you to a productive direction.
damn!

Your transmission failed too?
And it was a manual.

I really hope these don’t become too common.

Does Porsche exercise any quality control on these third party transmissions?

Disturbing to hear for sure
The following users liked this post:
LLB (06-27-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

We need a sticky or a dedicated thread to track failed transmissions.

Second, and more importantly, references to independent repair facilities that service the community.

Replacement should not be Porsche's default but rather final recourse. I understand that the economics of repairing a transmission at a Porsche dealer aren't feasible but setup a network of repair facilities that guarantee their work and send us there or act as "dealer" in dismantling/shipping and receiving/reinstalling.
Those that want a rebuilt OEM can pay the $16k.

Then maybe customer satisfaction and repeat business would improve as would long term ownership and pride in the brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bemo:
LLB (06-27-2019), uphoto (11-28-2020)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 PM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this really went wild! Thanks everyone for all your support - I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the article as I worked on it for a huge part of last night.

So some positive news - I did receive a reply from the PCNA Twitter account after tweeting them the article which reads: "We sincerely regret to learn of your Porsche experience but appreciate you making us aware of your vehicle concerns. Please DM us your full name, VIN, contact info, and the Porsche dealer you are working with, so that we can look into this further for you. #PorscheCares -LS." I responded with all of the requested information and will certainly keep this thread updated! If you want to retweet or reply to the tweet you can go to the @Porsche twitter account and look up their "tweets and replies" where you'll see their response to my post at the top.

It seems like this issue has definitely struck a chord with a lot of folks; Porsche needs to know that they have a ton of enthusiasts on this site who are willing to stick up for each other and not deal with nonsense! I hope the company also notices the many of you super successful folks with deep pockets who have bought many Porsche products and could actually change the way Porsche is handling this problem going forward. The thread has been super inspiring thus far As for the questions for me:

Originally Posted by ahayvi
This is terrible to hear. Fingers crossed Porsche steps up. Some here have claimed having the auto stop/start on can lead to a higher chance of pdk failure. Any chance you could share if you kept it on or off while driving?
I kept it off because to me it just seems like something that would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the car; not to mention keeping it on just made the car feel way more sluggish.

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I would go used then dump it. another great reasom to learn how to use that 3rd pedal. When the PDKs shift at WOT it sounds violent. I am not a mechanic but have to imagine parts coming together that violently can cause early failure.
I had a 6 speed manual for 10 years in my 335i! I wanted PDK because that 911 clutch pedal is hard!

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I would contact PCNA directly about this (via email/phone call). The car has under 40k miles - the transmission should not fail! If you had closer to 100k, okay, things break. But under 40k miles? Ridiculous.
Completely agree; I'm not mad because yes, things definitely break - that's just how it works. However, it should not have failed this early in the car's life-cycle and my disappointment has mostly come from the way that PCNA has handled this problem; makes me sad that they didn't even want to talk to me and just wrote me off. I understand if they don't want to contact every customer with every single little detail, but a transmission failing is major. There are a few little things here and there wrong with my car (keyless lock button not working, etc.) that I don't care to have fixed because they don't affect my day to day with the car. A broken transmission is obviously a bit more serious!

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That really sucks, but I cannot say I am that surprised. Porsche should know that a little bit of good will goes a long way. They must know that these kind of PDK failures are not isolated, which may be why they are not good willing to fix it. If they good will one, they have to good will all. Wait until social media gets a hold of this one. If it catches fire, Porsche will wish they had fixed it!
I think you're onto something here - they may be seeing a growth of this problem occurring; I've even noticed some manual users on the forum having to replace their transmissions. Who knows, but if I was a betting man it seems like it's not an issue of if there will be a problem with the transmission but when for a lot of folks.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I read your note on medium. Very well written and the proper position to take. Don't get angry instead use your dollars and your influence to show displeasure.
I hope you get consideration from Porsche and I do believe a phone call direct or email is the next step.
Thank you so much! I'm fortunate that I don't have other mouths to feed - if I did I think I would have been much more livid about the situation. Glad I'm in the position where I'm just more disappointed/frustrated than anything. And as mentioned, PCNA did reply to me on Twitter so let's see where that goes!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I hope that twitter exchange proves helpful. Sounds promising.

Overall this does suck and is really surprising. I’m sorry you’re going through it.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 PM
ThePhanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts

As another data point: I also have a '13 with PDK and just hit 40k without issue. Were there any warning signs or odd behavior before it failed other than the 7th -> 6th and fault message in PCM? Rough or delayed shifts?

Quick Reply: PDK Failure - 2013 991