Sponsored by:

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by driving_impaired
Damn OP I hate to see a situation like this for you but especially since I just bought a used '13 myself with a PDK. Might start looking at those extended warranties...

Anyone remember that R&T review of the gt3 where they said they used launch control 1000 times in a row with no issues? I would think if you are making a claim like this you could make a 100k mile assurance on your trans.
+1

again bummed for OP, wonder how common this problem is vs an isolated incident... just bought a '14 PDK myself as well!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

I feel for the OP, nobody wants to be stuck in this situation... fwiw though, just from a logical standpoint, I'd imagine the PDK failure rate is quite low... not like the masses are all screaming PDK failure.... still really really sucks
Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

I bet that new transmission comes with some type of warranty. The only other real major issue could be the motor and those have been proven to be pretty reliable. So if you can stomach smaller things like COV's then it might make sense to hold off on the extended warranty.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 AM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update!

I paid $13.5K to get everything replaced, and Jason Nelson from PCNA offered to cash reimburse me for a portion of an extended warranty should I buy one (think 20-40% depending on which plan I get).

Fidelity seems to be the best option by reading the boards, and I'm thinking the Gold plan should suffice as it covers basic powertrain plus some electrical stuff.

For those of you familiar, do you think it makes sense for me to get a Gold plan or just stick with the cheaper Powertrain plan? The latter should cover anything catastrophic (like what happened with my PDK), but I also know that this car has a ton of electrical nonsense that I would hope the Gold plan would cover just in case something goes wrong on that front.

Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ Just get the Platinum. Otherwise it is my understanding that it has to be gold plus because of some of the electronics associated with the PDK (that is what I read somewhere in this forum)

[edit: gold plus includes transmission control unit]
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
Update!

I paid $13.5K to get everything replaced, and Jason Nelson from PCNA offered to cash reimburse me for a portion of an extended warranty should I buy one (think 20-40% depending on which plan I get).
Make sure you get a quote from someone else on the warranty to make sure they're not reimbursing you for an inflated number. It's easy to get considerable discounts off the ridiculous retail price. I've heard the Platinum isn't that much more than the others, I think it's worth it (just bought one myself).
Old 05-02-2019, 12:09 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Update!

Fidelity seems to be the best option by reading the boards, and I'm thinking the Gold plan should suffice as it covers basic powertrain plus some electrical stuff.

For those of you familiar, do you think it makes sense for me to get a Gold plan or just stick with the cheaper Powertrain plan? The latter should cover anything catastrophic (like what happened with my PDK), but I also know that this car has a ton of electrical nonsense that I would hope the Gold plan would cover just in case something goes wrong on that front.

Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Depends on the price you're being quoted, but after what you have been through, I would consider the platinum plan ... that's what I bought for my 2015 GTS.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:11 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

that's not bad, glad it got resolved.

Yes def Gold plus at a minimum for full PDK coverage
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
driving_impaired
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the prices looking like on these currently? Def agree with other poster about shopping them around as well. Did that with a previous car and got a significant discount going through my credit union.

Update!

Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Pricing on the warranty is very mileage dependent. I bought one in October when my '13C2S had 41k on it, I paid $4100 for 3/36 Platinum.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Update!

Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Would love to get an idea of quotes you are getting and where you are buying them from?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Inbyten
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Would love to get an idea of quotes you are getting and where you are buying them from?
Mike at Mossy Motors offers big discounts on Fidelity warranties. Haven't pulled the trigger, but I got a quote for my DD.

mjourdan@mossymotors.com
Old 05-03-2019, 10:12 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Inbyten
Mike at Mossy Motors offers big discounts on Fidelity warranties. Haven't pulled the trigger, but I got a quote for my DD.

mjourdan@mossymotors.com
I got mine from my local dealer for a couple hundred less than Mike, but she requires an inspection if the vehicle hasn't been serviced there. You can PM me if you want Mike's number, he responds best to texts
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Bud Stoner
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my Fidelity Platinum from Mike, great guy to deal with! I rest easy now and will for 5 yrs./60K miles. Max out of pocket is $100. Thank you dear Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Stoner
Got my Fidelity Platinum from Mike, great guy to deal with! I rest easy now and will for 5 yrs./60K miles. Max out of pocket is $100. Thank you dear Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus the initial buy in...amount?

Quick Reply: PDK Failure - 2013 991