Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Final Update: Porsche has declined to contribute to the repair.

I definitely appreciate all the replies/advice in this thread - thank you all. Please make sure you're covered if you have one of these transmissions in your car!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Was this at Rector Porsche in Burlingame? Have you thought about another dealer, I dunno if that would help.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM
thebrit86
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very disappointed in this outcome. Not only for you but more so I'm very disappointed in Porsche.

I think the next step is Class Action Lawsuit for everyone who has had a PDK failure to push the warranty on these transmissions to 100K.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:31 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Also, did they give any rationale besides being out of warranty?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Total BS! Porsche NEEDS to stand behind its products! A trans with less than 40K going bad is just crazy. Even if car was flogged, this is a sports car and it is supposed to be made to take punishment. Is the moral of the story to baby this sports car and drive like grandma?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Total BS! Porsche NEEDS to stand behind its products! A trans with less than 40K going bad is just crazy. Even if car was flogged, this is a sports car and it is supposed to be made to take punishment. Is the moral of the story to baby this sports car and drive like grandma?
No, the moral is to buy a vehicle service contract if a big repair bill is going to cause issues.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I've seen bmw step up many times in the forums, it's sad that Porsche can't do anything for the PDK issues people are experiencing.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
Final Update: Porsche has declined to contribute to the repair.

I definitely appreciate all the replies/advice in this thread - thank you all. Please make sure you're covered if you have one of these transmissions in your car!
That's a shame, sorry to hear that. Curious about extenuating circumstances. You mentioned that you purchased the car used, and not from a Porsche dealership. Had you ever serviced the vehicle at a Porsche dealership. Just curious, as clearly they seem to take that all into consideration as they make their decisions on things like this.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

PCNA completely wrote me off and declined to participate in the repair presumably because I bought the car used and not at a Porsche dealer
I'm a four decade owner of 911s, and have had three goodwill repairs made by Porsche over the decades at no charge to me. So why didn't I have any problems getting goodwill? I can think of two reasons: 1. I always buy new; and 2. I always have my cars serviced at a Porsche dealership. Obviously just anecdotal, but I believe it has merit. It certainly is helpful having a Dealer as your advocate to Porsche, who can verify that your car has been maintained according to Porsche's recommendations,

I'm really surprised at PCNA's position. A compromise was readily available, and I was certain that Porsche would offer it. The compromise would be that Porsche would offer a new PDK at cost, and then help with the installation costs. This would bring the total charge down to a more tolerable $7 - $8K range. I'm not sure why Porsche has taken such an uncompromising position.
The following users liked this post:
LLB (06-27-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
I've seen bmw step up many times in the forums, it's sad that Porsche can't do anything for the PDK issues people are experiencing.
BMW should have stepped up to the connecting rod bearings issue with their S65 M3 motor.
The point I'm trying to make is that both companies have well documented instances of stepping up and dropping the ball.

OP - will you fork over for a rebuilt transmission?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
But under 40k miles? Ridiculous.
You'd think, but since it was bought used, who knows what the first owner did? Was it a lease? I bet any car can be broken in 1000 miles if you try.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
BMW should have stepped up to the connecting rod bearings issue with their S65 M3 motor.
The point I'm trying to make is that both companies have well documented instances of stepping up and dropping the ball.

OP - will you fork over for a rebuilt transmission?
Only speaking for myself, I've had countless new and used bmw's and I have had them fixed things on good faith for cars out of warranty- although never something as large as a transmission. I have also had many extended warranties by bmw given to resolve issues concerning a weak part or issue. Luckily for me, I have had minor issues. I am sure there are horror stories there too.

It would seem to me that Porsche should step up and help the OP because-

1. there is no mention of abuse by Porsche to deny compensation and the mileage is very low on this car.
2. there are other people on this forum that have documented issues with their PDK and its failure.

the fact that the op bought the car used or from another location, does not excuse the other failures we have seen with this transmission.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Only speaking for myself, I've had countless new and used bmw's and I have had them fixed things on good faith for cars out of warranty- although never something as large as a transmission. I have also had many extended warranties by bmw given to resolve issues concerning a weak part or issue. Luckily for me, I have had minor issues. I am sure there are horror stories there too.

It would seem to me that Porsche should step up and help the OP because-

1. there is no mention of abuse by Porsche to deny compensation and the mileage is very low on this car.
2. there are other people on this forum that have documented issues with their PDK and its failure.

the fact that the op bought the car used or from another location, does not excuse the other failures we have seen with this transmission.
Fully in agreement that Porsche should step up. But they won't. And now the OP is screwed with having to pay $16k.

If this were me, I'd look for an Indy, sue Porsche for the cost of the repair, spread the word and never buy another Porsche.
Let them lose 100 times the cost of the transmission, a 30k-mile failure is unacceptable regardless of where the car was purchased...
Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The compromise would be that Porsche would offer a new PDK at cost, and then help with the installation costs. This would bring the total charge down to a more tolerable $7 - $8K range. I'm not sure why Porsche has taken such an uncompromising position.
Probably because somebody at Porsche did the math and multiplied 7-8K$ x all the cars they think may have this failure prematurely and figured the cost was worth losing some good will. On a separate note, what about all the other dual clutch transmissions? Has anyone heard about premature failures happening with the Tremec or Getrag DCT?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Fully in agreement that Porsche should step up. But they won't. And now the OP is screwed with having to pay $16k.

If this were me, I'd look for an Indy, sue Porsche for the cost of the repair, spread the word and never buy another Porsche.
Let them lose 100 times the cost of the transmission, a 30k-mile failure is unacceptable regardless of where the car was purchased...
What would be the grounds for the lawsuit? Moreover, no lawyer will take this case on contingency. Almost any lawyer will charge you $200 an hour, and the best ones far, far more. OTOH Porsche has dozens of lawyers on their staff. So the threat of a lawsuit isn't going to intimidate Porsche.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure - 2013 991