Sponsored by:

Very slow tire leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM
lagodue
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Very slow tire leak repair

Last time I had a leak dealer refused to plug it. New tire was about $600. OK, that leak was a gusher.
This time, for the right front tire, If I left the car sitting for two months the tire would lose half the air.
My local independent caught a tiny nail (without removing the wheel from the car) and plugged it with some kind of vulcanizing plug, which will eventually melt into the tire rubber. They say these plugs have never failed.
Total cost = $23.79
Thank god for independent shops!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@OP - Curious if the indie used the proper jack points and was any kind of puck used to cushion? or do you carry puck type thing in the car?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:06 PM
lagodue
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched them try to use their lift and it was obvious there would be a problem, so they used a portable jack only at the front wheel, high enough to spin the tire for inspection.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
I watched them try to use their lift and it was obvious there would be a problem, so they used a portable jack only at the front wheel, high enough to spin the tire for inspection.
Pick up a cheap (~$55) set of custom pucks from a Rennlister that makes them and throw them in the frunk so they are with the car if you, or a shop, needs them.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
Last time I had a leak dealer refused to plug it. New tire was about $600. OK, that leak was a gusher.
This time, for the right front tire, If I left the car sitting for two months the tire would lose half the air.
My local independent caught a tiny nail (without removing the wheel from the car) and plugged it with some kind of vulcanizing plug, which will eventually melt into the tire rubber. They say these plugs have never failed.
Total cost = $23.79
Thank god for independent shops!
I had the same plug put on my tow vehicle tire after picking up a nail and enduring the 3 month slow leak. That was 20k miles ago and the tire is rock solid. The proper procedure is a plug and vulcanized patch. I would not do this on a P Car tire cause I tend to drive a fair amount on the track, but on a regular drive, absolutely.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

It's not necessarily dealer vs independent - it's got more to do with location of the leak and liability... The deal with plugs/patches is that 1) they cannot happen anywhere near the sidewall - that's just not safe - and 90% of the time that is where you get the nail (dammit!)
2) they lower the speed rating of the tire because, well, they're a plug, different compound etc...

The dealer obviously does not want the liability because your car could be driven on the Nurburgring at 190mph tomorrow. They will also push for a generally pricier "N" (porsche approved) rated tire, because they are a dealer, which you can also live without. My right rear is plugged because that's the one that collects nails. I replaced it once and plugged it once in 10K miles, PITA.. . I can't say I care about that plug. I'll even track it "as is" (that's my decision) because tracks I run don't really let you go more than 130/135, and I check tire pressure between runs. Ideally for track duty you *should* have unpatched tires - for street, unless you are made of money, patching is perfectly fine. Maybe the one the dealer refused to do was too close to the sidewall...
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

This past weekend I discovered a slow leak in my left rear tire. I also have a two year road hazard policy which covers repairs and/or full replacement. I conducted some research to determine when a tire is considered “unrepairable.” I found most searches have very similar guidelines (see attachment) and I also used the recommendations of my Indy Shop. I realize Porsche WILL NOT patch a tire and since I don’t track my vehicle I was fortunate my tire was repairable. My tire was plugged with a “Patch Plug” and the process involved several steps to prep the area to accept the patch.

1.) Locate and mark/highlight area requiring patch.
2.) Pre Clean the area with Rubber Prep.
3.) Grind the area to accept patch with a grinder; AKA - Air Buffer
4.) Clean out puncture with proper drill bit specialized to match plug/patch.
5.) Blow area clean.
6.) Apply Contact Cement and let it air dry.
7.) Apply patch and use specialized tool (Stitching Tool) to properly bond patch to tire.
8.) Remove thin plastic layer from patch.
9.) Apply vulcanizing cement over patch.
10.) Cut Pigtail leveled with tire thread.

One inch screw

Tire Repairable Guidelines

Plug Patch.

6.) Pull Pi
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I also have a two year road hazard policy which covers repairs and/or full replacement.
Curious why you chose to repair when your hazard policy (which I presume you paid for) may have paid for full replacement.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Curious why you chose to repair when your hazard policy (which I presume you paid for) may have paid for full replacement.
You are partially correct. Tire Rack’s road hazard policy states A or B; repairable or non-repairable. It’s not my choice, the tech makes the call. Now, if I took the tire to a dealership the outcome would have been a new tire because they don’t repair tires. I could have pushed for a new tire, and I still have the option to move in that direction if the patch fails.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Looks close, on the borderline, of the repairable area
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Looks close, on the borderline, of the repairable area
I agree. My tech said exactly the same thing and stated a patch will work. Since I don’t track my car or drive at triple digits I’m okay with a patch providing it holds air.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I agree. My tech said exactly the same thing and stated a patch will work. Since I don’t track my car or drive at triple digits I’m okay with a patch providing it holds air.
That would not work for me...I hit triple digits every time I take the car out.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn’t want to start a new thread just to complain so I jumped on this old one.

My Targa GTS developed a slow leak in the rear passenger tire. Been crazy busy so I used the frunk compressor to inflate it and have been monitoring the leak. Dropped 7psi while I was at work today. The really annoying part is in a rush this morning I used the center console socket and the inflator turned on for a second and then stopped. I switched it to the passenger footwell socket and inflated it. Come home from work, wanted to inflate it again, used the footwell socket and same thing, turned on for a second then stopped. Looks like the compressor blew both fuses (I’m assuming, haven’t had a chance to check them). I’m really annoyed. Any chance it could be something else?

thanks
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

And! Frigging pump blew a fuse in my wife’s car. And! Porsche doesn’t include spare 20a fuses. They have every other size, just not 20.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I have tracked my car with patches, as long as they are done properly they should hold up just fine. But at the same time I am track newb and don't push as hard as a lot of guys out there. But for beginner DE's they are probably fine assuming the repair was done properly

Quick Reply: Very slow tire leak repair