Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$2700 for a multi-function steering wheel on a 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:57 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $2700 for a multi-function steering wheel on a 991.2?

Hi folks,

One of the only two minor regrets I have with the spec of my 991.2 GTS is that I didn't option the multi-function steering wheel (reaching 6 inches down to change the volume is unacceptable). I asked my dealer to give me a quote to swap out the current wheel with a multi-function one, and the number they came back with was $2,700 for parts ($500 for labor which actually doesn't seem crazy). Suncoast has the wheel listed at $995.00, but then it also says: "Airbag is not included".. presumably I need an airbag. It also says: "If your car doesn't have heating and multi-Function radio controls installed, it can be added for an additional cost."

So assuming I want an airbag and I need to have the controls installed (which I assume I do), then maybe $2,700 is not too far from the mark?

Also, anyone know if there's a second hand market for the current wheel? I thought I could take a little of the sting out if I recovered some of the cost.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

The airbag is the same one that's on your current wheel, I think. I also think that your wheel is modular, and may be able to just buy the switches & panels you need to modify the wheel you have...
There are definitely extra parts needed that aren't on the wheel, as well as some computer programming. You don't need the control arm on the steering column to control the dash computer screen anymore, for instance. I know there's also a different "clock spring" with the wiring needed to signal the controls on the steering wheel, and some programming needed to enable the MF wheel.
I haven't done this mod directly, but I did upgrade my 991.1 MF wheel to the 991.2 MF wheel. There's detail in this thread that you may find useful.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
diggiddi (03-14-2021)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:11 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Ask them for an actual quote with parts breakdown. My guess is that they are charging you a lot for the wheel.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Ask them for an actual quote with parts breakdown. My guess is that they are charging you a lot for the wheel.
This or ask them if you supply the wheel what the cost will be.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:31 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the suncoast multifunction OEM wheel $995 and heating module for another $500ish. 2 hours labor charge the most . They reuse original airbag. Under 2k end to end. Bought parts and had dealer install them . Requires proper programming by dealer. $2700 is a rip-off. U don’t need a new airbag either.
there is another sub $10 part , a cover, as you lose the function stalk on the new wheel as u have multifunction controls .
Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by blurum
I bought the suncoast multifunction OEM wheel $995 and heating module for another $500ish. 2 hours labor charge the most . They reuse original airbag. Under 2k end to end. Bought parts and had dealer install them . Requires proper programming by dealer. $2700 is a rip-off. U don’t need a new airbag either.
there is another sub $10 part , a cover, as you lose the function stalk on the new wheel as u have multifunction controls .
Thanks for this. I've asked the dealer whether I can BYO wheel. We'll see what they say.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 PM
blurum
Instructor

My dealer matches Suncoast pricing but this module wheel thing was so new last year he made me order both direct from Suncoast as this was the first he had heard about the module. Yours should be able to order parts from their preferred supplier and match Suncoast.
which is how I did my Carbon fiber mirror shell upgrade.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:33 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by blurum
My dealer matches Suncoast pricing but this module wheel thing was so new last year he made me order both direct from Suncoast as this was the first he had heard about the module. Yours should be able to order parts from their preferred supplier and match Suncoast.
which is how I did my Carbon fiber mirror shell upgrade.
My dealer said "There is a control unit that needs to be installed as well to make the steering wheel talk to the car. No mention is made of this".. do you know if this is the "Add Mulfitfunction AND Heating - Add $700" [sic] mentioned on the Suncoast site, or is there some other part that's not listed? The statement on their site is a little confusing:

"If your car doesn't have heating and multi-Function radio controls installed, it can be added for an additional cost"

I assume this is the $700 component, but it's not completely clear. I guess I should just reach out to Suncoast
Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM
blurum
Instructor

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
My dealer said "There is a control unit that needs to be installed as well to make the steering wheel talk to the car. No mention is made of this".. do you know if this is the "Add Mulfitfunction AND Heating - Add $700" [sic] mentioned on the Suncoast site, or is there some other part that's not listed? The statement on their site is a little confusing:

"If your car doesn't have heating and multi-Function radio controls installed, it can be added for an additional cost"

I assume this is the $700 component, but it's not completely clear. I guess I should just reach out to Suncoast
Yes in addition to the wheel its the $700 part/module. Best to speak to a human at Suncoast when ordering. But it is that simple. I guess I paid that much , thought it was less but close enough . best 2k I ever spent end tp end love the heated wheel ! But barely use the MF has the dash is so close to begin with. But good to have and not too busy.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:36 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 834 Likes on 417 Posts

Buy the wheel and multifunction module from Suncoast and have the dealer install/program. Shouldn’t take more than 2 hrs labor. You can reuse your airbag.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Looked at a car without recently and man, it wasn’t long before I realized just how much I love the heated multifunction GT wheel (in Alcantara) in mine. Love it! Worth $2700, maybe not that much, but it maybe it is...
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

If you are up to it buy the parts and do it yourself: There are steering wheel disassembly instruction in this forum and I used them to swap out my Silver inserts and I do not like manual labor nor get my hands dirty so I had no complaints.

Personally, I got the GT wheel with no heat/MF and would not have it anyother way....nice that we have options to please us all.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you are up to it buy the parts and do it yourself: There are steering wheel disassembly instruction in this forum and I used them to swap out my Silver inserts and I do not like manual labor nor get my hands dirty so I had no complaints.

Personally, I got the GT wheel with no heat/MF and would not have it anyother way....nice that we have options to please us all.
Yeah well I just got a monster of a tax bill so the wheel I have now suddenly seems fine :/
Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 AM
ThePhanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe your current airbag swaps over. I bought a SD wheel about a year ago and the dealer installed it after I received in from SunCoast. Suncoast actually had the thing and the dealer had a tough time getting it. I still waited over 4 months to get it from SunCoast.

My dealer just charged me for install, which was less than what they quoted you but you may have more programming than I needed.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:09 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Did you get the 991.2 multi-function wheel sorted? Worth every penny. Best steering wheel ever!

Quick Reply: $2700 for a multi-function steering wheel on a 991.2?