Sponsored by:

Firming Up the Non-GT Car Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:53 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Firming Up the Non-GT Car Suspension

Good afternoon all, I recently sold my GT3 Touring and plan to pick up a GTS soon. The GT3 is an amazing car but not the right car for what I want to do, primarily long trips with occasional track use.

Ultimately the only thing that the GTS lacks for me is the sharpness in of the GT3. Ultimately I would like to do a hybrid setup where I might utilize the stock Sport PASM with upgraded bushing and potentially a single rate spring kit much like the ones available through Elephant racing.

So I was hoping that we might have a few that could offer suggestions on getting the suspension somewhere between the GTS and GT3.

(1) Front & Rear Adjustable Sway Bars
(2) Elephant Racing Coil Over Kit (Little to No Lowering)
(3) Front Offset Camber Plates
(4) Front Power Flex Lower Control Arm Bushing
(5) Rear ??????
Old 03-27-2019, 03:28 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Personally, I like the PDCC option. It takes a lot of slop out of the handling while still offering a comfort mode for rough streets and roads.

Last edited by PCA1983; 03-27-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 548 Posts

On my 991.1 C2S with PDCC I did the following and it helped A LOT with making my car feel more responsive and stable on high speed turns.

-Bilstein Damptronic Coilovers to lower the car and refresh my stock suspension, I have 60k miles on car
-Elephant Racing offset camber plates up front to allow for more negative camber (-2.5 up front) If you want more negative camber you can get GT3 lower control arms and switch out the rubber bushings for monoballs.
-DSC Unit - This will probably be an easy way to fine tune your suspension feel without getting too much into the mechanical stuff - Try this first to see what improvements you can gain from just software adjustments for your suspension.
-Function First Transmission Mount - really tightened up my shifting (7MT) and throttle response. I went with their softest mount, any more would be too much for me.

Last edited by Joec500; 03-27-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:10 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Great advise so far, thank you!

I do have a DSC which was used on prior cars and would plan to throw that in and do some testing.

There would be no issue with running the Monoballs but best I can tell the price for a set is something like $5K for the parts which seems steep. My last race car used a very high quality set and the parts, more bushings that the 911, were a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 548 Posts

BTW, I do like the Elephant racing option over many others as you have choices of linear springs versus progressives that I have on my damptronics. Not sure what type of springs are on the KW HAS kit.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:57 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I do have a DSC which was used on prior cars and would plan to throw that in and do some testing..
i asked Tom at TPC for parameters to change to reduce dive during breaking and hard cornering, but instead he created two new files, firm and extra firm that he then emailed to me. Best service and files are excellent. So before buying hardware, ask if Tom has files he can share with you and try those before you spend to much money.

Good of luck and keep us updated on any modifications. BGB Racing has a thread on here as well on all the mods they did to their GTS. Made it way faster than a GT3.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
i asked Tom at TPC for parameters to change to reduce dive during breaking and hard cornering, but instead he created two new files, firm and extra firm that he then emailed to me. Best service and files are excellent. So before buying hardware, ask if Tom has files he can share with you and try those before you spend to much money.

Good of luck and keep us updated on any modifications. BGB Racing has a thread on here as well on all the mods they did to their GTS. Made it way faster than a GT3.
Excellent, I have installed in other cars but have not played with any of the settings yet.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I love my KW V3 coilovers FWIW.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SlickOne
I love my KW V3 coilovers FWIW.
Does your work withe factory PASM?
Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Does your work withe factory PASM?
No. The kit came with the PASM bypass module. She rides like a dream.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Finally read all 30 some pages and it apprears they were just thowning parts at it. Now I have no doubt it was kickass but they sunk a tremoundous amount of time and money in that. I am not competing and this is not anrace car, I am thinking if I can do a few small things to get 80% thats good enough.

At the moment My choices are, an adjustable single rate spring set, offset top hats and at least one adjustable sway bar (rear preferably). Pair that with OEM tires sizes say PZ4 or PS4S’s and call it good.

The difficulty right now is the amount of camber required. When I ran my Turbo S in OLOA within a few events I wore the outer edges of the 4S’s in the rear. The Perrelli’s PZero’s did not suffer the same fate as the outer tread is not as hard though the new PZ4’s might need more camber also. Anyway Picking the wrong camber is a $1000 mistake so any advise there would be helpful.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 676 Posts

What didn't you like about the GT3 Touring for your intended purpose?

Did you consider softening up the GT3 some, instead?

GT3 Touring is my dream car
Old 04-03-2019, 04:10 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
What didn't you like about the GT3 Touring for your intended purpose?

Did you consider softening up the GT3 some, instead?

GT3 Touring is my dream car
First and foremost the name is a bad misnomer, it less Touring car and all GT3. Specifically they took the GT3 removed the wing and put on a badge. No changes to the sound insulation, the ride was good but the same as the standard GT3. The manual with only (6) forward gears runs very high RPM down the highway and it lacks any torque compared to a base Carrera until 6-7K RPM. Even the motor mounts felt tuned for only high RPM, at low revs the car was rough then as the RPM's climbed it was as smooth as butter. Even the exhaust was tuned for the track, it sounded rough at startup and idle but was fantastic at RPM.

I typically put 15K or more miles a year on my Touring Car. Last year it was a Turbo S and before that FType R, C7 Z06 Vert and many others. For those, which is 95% of the people buying them, that put some miles on here an there I can't think of a more fun and exhilarating car. The shiftier is like a fine watch, engine an operha, the ride smooth yet confident and they are amazing on track. Though I did not track mine I have driven a .2 GT3 and owned a GT4 both of which were lots of fun. Since I already have a track car the GT3 T was not a good fit in the stable and thus I ordered a more suitable match in a GTS RWD. This car will see 95% street and offers big low end torque, over drive, full sound insulation but is not as bloated my Turbo was. All that and with some good tires should match or beat a laptime of a GT3, with a tune and some sorting of the suspension it should leave a GT3 on track.

So that brings us to this thread if I can add some of the suspension precision back into the car that the GT3 had it will be the perfect GT car for my wants. Then who knows maybe a GT3 T or GT3-RS without a wing will be on the bucket list in the future.

Quick Reply: Firming Up the Non-GT Car Suspension