Sponsored by:

Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro - weird behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro - weird behavior

Noticing the following lately, anyone have experience or opinions?
posting the manual as well, I didn’t find any help in it.

I have been using it since I got the car as I haven’t been driving much waiting for fair weather weekends.
I have seen it working find where it goes to maintainer mode which is the last light on the top 4. Which is Float/Pulse mode.

lately it doesn’t go to Float/Pulse but after a few hours goes to intial start mode, meaning only the green power light is on. No errors. Just as if I just plugged it in. Noticed it last night as well. I push the mode button to car mode and it starts charging getting to 3rd light. Then today morning same thing only the green power lamp was on, so I pressed the mode button again to car, 3rd light came on and few hours later it was again in same condition green power lamp only on. See pictures of what I mean

Above is what you see when you plug it in and this is what it keeps going to.

above is what it looks like after a few minutes of changing to car mode, then goes to the first pic. It would be nice to see it go to float mode, which I have seen once or twice.
car is unlocked, doors closed.

below is the manual

Old 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Ans now it seems to be working as it should....another head scratcher...I was going to try locking the door but its fine now. Will keep an eye and see if it goes to sleep again or something.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I noticed that the other day with my car. I have the same unit as you and I plug into the socket by the passenger footwell. I noticed that this happened because the cigarette lighter connector wasn’t securely in. I twisted it around to get a better grip and it’s been good for the past week.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

There seems to be a common theme with these chargers and the ctek chargers (same thing) - basically that they go bonkers after a while and for no apparent reason. This is not the first thread on this subject. Lots of owners seem to think it is the socket that it is plugged into, others have thrown up their arms. I don't have an answer for you, only an observation that the Porsche branded changers and its ctek equivalent do not seem very dependable, and that I'd be pretty pissed if I spent money on this thing that only seems to work when it wants to.

I have had my Battery Tender for about for about 8 or 9 years now and never had a problem with it.

Good luck finding a solution.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Interesting. Good to know. I’ve been using it for the past three months and no issues, except for that one time. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ991
I noticed that the other day with my car. I have the same unit as you and I plug into the socket by the passenger footwell. I noticed that this happened because the cigarette lighter connector wasn’t securely in. I twisted it around to get a better grip and it’s been good for the past week.
that might be it, I did pull the cable a little while I was mounting it, the socket and connector are not the best fit.

the Cteck/porsche as well as optimate monitor the battery not just provide a constant charge like battery tender. I have two battery tenders in my drawer, after I had two dead batteries which were on them over the winter, a motorcycle and car.
i then switched to optimate for the lithium motorcycle battery and car AGM battery, no issues with either of them.
this third one I got for the porsche as it supports lithium as well which I am about to switch too
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been using this and have been pretty happy with it.."NOCO Genius G3500"

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro - weird behavior