Interior leather dash cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior leather dash cleaning

Hey guys,
spent a ton of time detailing my new (to me) 2015 TTS. The interior dash areas along the door and glovebox have some light discoloration which looks slightly white in certain light. I tried just regular Zaino leather cleaner and meguairs quick interior detailer with no luck removing it.

any suggestions? The photos accentuate it with the lighting, it’s not as bad as it looks.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Looks like sunscreen. Very tough to remove, if so. Time to call a pro.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Looks like sunscreen. Very tough to remove, if so. Time to call a pro.
good call! It’s probably sunscreen and after some research it looks like I can use a diluted simple green or meguairs super degreaser then follow,up with leather conditioner.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Sunscreen and body lotion leave this residue. I use Gyeon Leather Cleaner and then Q2 Leather.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

What I've always found is that the first 90% of the sunscreen can be removed, but the last 10% is there for good, probably because I rubbed it even further into the leather while removing the first 90%. That's why I think it's a good idea to involve a good detailer early, somebody who knows what they're doing.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Sunscreen and body lotion leave this residue. I use Gyeon Leather Cleaner and then Q2 Leather.
and in your experience, the gyeon leather cleaner will remove the sunscreen , even if it’s been set in for some time?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Leatherique
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

My god, how the hell did that happen?! I have seen general contractor pickup trucks look cleaner.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:11 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb

Hey guys,
spent a ton of time detailing my new (to me) 2015 TTS. The interior dash areas along the door and glovebox have some light discoloration which looks slightly white in certain light. I tried just regular Zaino leather cleaner and meguairs quick interior detailer with no luck removing it.

any suggestions? The photos accentuate it with the lighting, it’s not as bad as it looks.
leatherique is awesome. Apply the conditioner first, then apply the cleaner.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
and in your experience, the gyeon leather cleaner will remove the sunscreen , even if it’s been set in for some time?
My wife leaves all kinds of whiteish finger prints on mine and her dash. The Gyeon cleans it right off. I have not let it sit for a long time, too ****.

But a good leather cleaner and conditioner should remove them. I like the Gyeon product because it leaves a matt look not a shiny look.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Thanks folks, all very helpful info and suggestions. I’ve ordered a few items from auto geek and also read some of their forum topics on cleaning leather that’s stained. I’m hoping it will all work out, stay tuned!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I recently used the Gyeon leather sealer on my seat, steering wheel, etc. since the car was new so hopefully mine will never look too bad. Besides, I am pretty **** my wife has received almost 31 years of training.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I recently used the Gyeon leather sealer on my seat, steering wheel, etc. since the car was new so hopefully mine will never look too bad. Besides, I am pretty **** my wife has received almost 31 years of training.
good to know! I’m guessing I’ll be able to get her clean and looking like new again soon. The pics I attached make it look bad but in reality it’s not that obvious. My parents FL car has similar staining from sunscreen most likely. It sounds like it can be removed with some elbow grease and the right products.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilfij
Leatherique
Originally Posted by jnolan

leatherique is awesome. Apply the conditioner first, then apply the cleaner.
For those who have used the Leatherique, will it be ok with the Ventilated (perforated) seats? My 991 among my other daily drivers all have perforated seats and I would hate to slab all that oil over them and they clog up. Do I put the rejuvenating oil on a rag/sponge first then wipe it in?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If you really slather it on, it can plug and/or the holes I have heard but I did not have the issue. Maybe go easy on the holes or skip the oil on the perforated areas.

What I did, was I cleaned it with the cleaner, put the oil it on, let it soak overnight in a hot garage (I actually put on garage bags to additionally heat and left it in the sun) and then cleaned it off with the cleaner.

i used microfiber pads to spread it on and especially wipe it off. I used ones with a little cup on the back as fingernails will scratch the leather.

Quick Reply: Interior leather dash cleaning