Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 GTS Exhaust Note (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1134795-991-2-gts-exhaust-note.html)

superdog 03-21-2019 04:26 PM

991.2 GTS Exhaust Note

is it really that bad? Lots of negative comments here.

When i drove a 4S a year ago, I seem to remember it sounding great. Very much so actually.

I did opt for an amg GTS at the time. Which clearly is better. But as I get closer to getting my car, I’m wondering if I should be looking into exhaust options.

MT GTS for reference. Thoughts or guidance would be most appreciated.

Hurricane 03-21-2019 04:39 PM

I think it sounds great.

superdog 03-21-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 15719375)
I think it sounds great.

that's what I thought man. I found it to be very aggressive.

Bob Z. 03-21-2019 04:48 PM

Likewise, I have a Targa GTS with Soul high flow cats and love it. Many of the ones that dislike it like the .1 NA sound better and if you search this forum on exhaust you will get more opinions that you want. You can also Google for sound clips and decide yourself.

superdog 03-21-2019 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15719387)
Likewise, I have a Targa GTS with Soul high flow cats and love it. Many of the ones that dislike it like the .1 NA sound better and if you search this forum on exhaust you will get more opinions that you want. You can also Google for sound clips and decide yourself.

thanks for that. I have done tons of research and my wife is ready to move me to the garage. i am currently using head phones to watch youtube videos.

Porsch 03-21-2019 05:09 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks it sounds really good. I love the sound on my Carrera T. Some of the guys on the GT3 forum were saying the same thing in the Carrera T thread there. And I've heard the GTS and think it sounds great, as well. We have so much more torque in these cars and they feel so much faster, to give up a little on sound is well worth it. It's not the drastic difference that some people make it out to be or would like you to think. and yes, i owned five different 991.1s so it's not like i'm not well-equipped to make the comparison. also, i do think these .2 cars sound better in person compared to most clips on the internet.

Psorcery 03-21-2019 05:19 PM

Stock GTS is a tad more throaty/raspy vs other .2 cars.

This is due to larger turbos and slightly higher flowing catalytic converters. It sounds great stock. Tons of compliments.

Add headers/cat deletes and it's a whole new beast.

Fabspeed Motorsport 03-21-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by superdog (Post 15719347)
is it really that bad? Lots of negative comments here.

When i drove a 4S a year ago, I seem to remember it sounding great. Very much so actually.

I did opt for an amg GTS at the time. Which clearly is better. But as I get closer to getting my car, I’m wondering if I should be looking into exhaust options.

MT GTS for reference. Thoughts or guidance would be most appreciated.

Scott here from Fabspeed Motorsport, while I tend to agree with Hurricane, the new twin turbo Carrera's do lack a bit of the "throaty" sports car note that we all know and love. What I can simply suggest is a set of Sport Cats. Simple bolt on modification that really opens up throttle response, Horse power (+32) and exhaust note.
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server6...0.1280.jpg?c=2
  • Fits all Porsche 991.2 Carrera (3.0L Twin Turbo) models (2017+) equipped with Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)
  • Improves power and throttle response while decreasing back pressure
  • Designed with high flowing German imported 200-cell HJS catalysts for the ideal blend of performance and efficiency
  • Optimized for maximum performance with NO check engine light, guaranteed
  • Constructed from high-quality .065" thick T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability
  • Designed and built in-house at Fabspeed in our full precision machine shop
  • Includes integrated O2 sensor bungs
  • Direct replacement bolt-on for stock cat or Catbypass Pipe
We also have the sport cats without PSE.

Take a look at the product and feel free to reach out for club pricing!!

superdog 03-21-2019 05:43 PM

Thanks Scott. Seems like an easy but effective mod.

I’ll be in touch for sure.

JSETarga 03-21-2019 08:32 PM

I think the note so to say is great. Its the volume that I wish were a little louder. Note is perfect though!

Ticket Target 03-21-2019 09:07 PM

I also think it's great. I used to have a Cayman R, which was louder and had a tendency to drone. The ladies prefer a slightly quieter environment, as well.

cgardnerma 03-21-2019 09:10 PM

It sounds really, really nice, but these things are always in the eye (ear) of the beholder...not unlike music.

The bark on startup sounds phenomenal in a parking garage. And I love the way - in sport mode - that you can be mellow or obnoxious, depending on how far you get into the throttle. It's definitely not "look at me loud" until you really get into it, but it sounds very cool and very Porsche. No, it isn't a GT3, but that's a different vibe altogether.

Avalon911 03-21-2019 09:17 PM

The exhaust note is fine, but all the forced burbles and pops in Sport mode are annoying and completely unnecessary. Sport plus mode sounds great without all the burbles and pops, but the transmission settings are too aggressive for regular driving. Just my .02

Bob Z. 03-21-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Avalon911 (Post 15719999)
The exhaust note is fine, but all the forced burbles and pops in Sport mode are annoying and completely unnecessary. Sport plus mode sounds great without all the burbles and pops, but the transmission settings are too aggressive for regular driving. Just my .02

My Sport+ transmission settings are controlled by my right hand and left foot.

BlueNorther 03-21-2019 09:44 PM

Best thing is not to compare it to the NA flat 6. The 3L flat 6 has its own charms due to the turbo noises, though I agree with above that overall it is a little too muted despite the GTS having less sound dampening. I leave the windows down a crack in my parking garage at work even in the dead of winter to hear better. Sport exhaust in normal and sports + sounds quite good, but the regular pops and crackles on sport got old pretty fast.